Sign in to follow this  

How much do you think the bill will be?

It all started last week when my YZ 250 started to have this erratic rev pattern after letting off the gas. After it was warmed-up and you let off the gas after a hard acceleration, it would idle strong, erratic, and hard on the way back down to the lower rpm's until it died. Anyway, it gets worse.

Took her out to the track yesterday evening, and after an hour's worth of hard laps, I noticed it was running louder than usual. I know, I know, I should have pulled over. :lol: However, I was trying to pass somebody and kept it pinned UNTIL she locked-up. The kickstarter will not even move.

How much should the bill be (best and worst case). The cylinder is definitely scored, right? Should I go ahead and bore it out if it the cylinder wall is trashed? How much more would it cost to bore it as compared to having the cylinder repaired?

diesect first w/ pictures if possible, and then we can talk money.

Nice work!

I usually sleeve my 2-stroke jugs so then they can be bored again, and it's cheaper than nickasil. (sp?)

I think sleeves are around 80, and I pay something like 100 to bore the jug, fit the sleeve, then bore/hone the sleeve to fit the piston.

So, that's say.. 200 for the top end repair, plus you'll need a top end kit with piston, pin, rist pin bearing, circlips, rings, and gaskets. That'll be.. 60 or so? I forget how much I paid for that stuff. I always go Yamaha OEM, it's cheap and works great.

Think you blew the crank? That could be another few hundred, depending on what happened and how you want to fix it.

I just rebuilt a YZ125 that had a bad top end and crank, and it was about 5-600 in parts. I think.. it was a little while ago.

It all started last week when my YZ 250 started to have this erratic rev pattern after letting off the gas. After it was warmed-up and you let off the gas after a hard acceleration, it would idle strong, erratic, and hard on the way back down to the lower rpm's until it died. Anyway, it gets worse.

Took her out to the track yesterday evening, and after an hour's worth of hard laps, I noticed it was running louder than usual. I know, I know, I should have pulled over. :lol: However, I was trying to pass somebody and kept it pinned UNTIL she locked-up. The kickstarter will not even move.

How much should the bill be (best and worst case). The cylinder is definitely scored, right? Should I go ahead and bore it out if it the cylinder wall is trashed? How much more would it cost to bore it as compared to having the cylinder repaired?

in my experience any time you seize a motor, its new crank, bearings, rod, piston, cylinder, and sometimes even the head if the piston slapped it, it can also damage the power valve and the intake and exhaust ports.

i would just have it plated and put it back in all together yourself,

i would say 500 would be a good deal, if you go through ha shop probably more like 700-800 or even more.

OK guys, the mechanic tore it down and said the top and bottom end are messed-up (cylinder needs replating, need new crank seals, gaskets, etc.). Here is what he quoted me:

Parts & Labor - $1,200

Either way(top end only, or both top and bottom end), it won't be cheap, but overall, about 1/3rd the cost of the same problem on a 4-stroke!

Holy shart.

1200 bones? Dude, do the work yourself.

Piston Kit 109$

Hot rods Crank 150$

Send the head out...

you got that right. $1200.00 for a 2 stroke re-build ?? WOW. i guess im used to doing most of the 2 troke stuff myself. throw in a service manual for .. maybe $50.00 and do it yourself.

ebay Wiseco bottom end kit (crank, bearings, gaskets, etc)-150-180

piston kit-100ish

if your jug is screwed, then get a new jug (yamaha of troy, 250ish)

head can usually be saved with sandpaper or steel wool as long as there is no gouges.

labor to split a case and install a new crank and seals should not run you more than 150-200 (my local shop charges 150 and they mic out all the parts and run everything through a parts washer)

top end is easily accomplished by yourself!!!

• Like 1

Yeah, like they said, even if you want to go crazy....

for an 05 cr125

complete engine kit from motosport (crank, con. rod, topend, gaskets) is $360.

Service manual is $50.

Bore it for I don't know how much, but certainly not $800.

• Like 1

Did they pressure test the engine? Sounds like it was sucking air.

• Like 1

Did they pressure test the engine? Sounds like it was sucking air.

They did not pressure test the engine, but you are right: It was sucking air.

He discovered that the intake from the carburetor had fricken "dry-rotted!," and a big chunk of dirt went directly into the top end.

Guys, this bike is a '99 model. Would I be better off buying a newer model? I found a local 2002 YZ 250 with a fresh top and bottom end for $1,300. Should I snag it up and just use my '99 as a parts bike instead of fixing the dinosaur?

They did not pressure test the engine, but you are right: It was sucking air.

He discovered that the intake from the carburetor had fricken "dry-rotted!," and a big chunk of dirt went directly into the top end.

Guys, this bike is a '99 model. Would I be better off buying a newer model? I found a local 2002 YZ 250 with a fresh top and bottom end for $1,300. Should I snag it up and just use my '99 as a parts bike instead of fixing the dinosaur?

SNAG IT, for a 02 1300 is a good deal, id offer him 1200 as i dont pay asking price for anything. tell him its all you got.

keep the 99 fix it yourself we all can walk you through it,

that way you will have 2 great bikes and if one ever fails you will still be able to ride:ride:

• Like 1

SNAG IT, for a 02 1300 is a good deal, id offer him 1200 as i dont pay asking price for anything. tell him its all you got.

keep the 99 fix it yourself we all can walk you through it,

that way you will have 2 great bikes and if one ever fails you will still be able to ride:ride:

I agree. And you can take your time on the '99 rebuild, if you need to. You'll have a brand-new '99 back up bike and will have learned something that's going to end up worth a lot more than the money you'll spend on both bikes. Once you've done it yourself, you're gonna save wads of money by DIY for the rest of your life. A small initial investment with huge long-term return!:lol:

• Like 1

JAM, Sono, I am going to take your advice and test ride the '02 in the morning. I just can't see paying someone that much money to fix the old dinosaur when I could fix I could fix it myself for a lot less. As you guys said, the old YZ will be a good place to learn the inside of the motor, plus I will have a back-up bike.

Thanks Again

• Like 1

JAM, Sono, I am going to take your advice and test ride the '02 in the morning. I just can't see paying someone that much money to fix the old dinosaur when I could fix I could fix it myself for a lot less. As you guys said, the old YZ will be a good place to learn the inside of the motor, plus I will have a back-up bike.

Thanks Again

Can't go wrong with having two bikes for a few hundred more than the shop would fix one of them for! :lol: