Sign in to follow this  

Granite Mountain???

Had a chance to log a few miles yesterday. I decided to just ride from home cuz I didn't want to drag the trailer across my fresh winter grass just yet. Anyway I headed out and rode around Granite Mtn. to 136th St., figured I'd just catch FR2097 at the end of 136th. As I was riding up 136th The first gate and staging area was wide open, as was the second gate and the third gate. The last gate that dumps into Tonto was not only open....but chained open. Being the compliant kinda guy that I am...I wasn't going to ride in there since the rumor has it it's closed. But it was a stark contrast to the big concrete barriers they have placed at Pima and Dynamite. Does anybody have any insight?? Are they just not enforcing the closure?? From the looks of all the gates I passed by... the tracks in and out looked pretty fresh. If they put barriers on one side to keep squids out... then put em on the other side so they stay out too.... or they will just continue to make us all look like lawless hooligans:banghead: :lol::p

I ride there. You can connect to GM to and from Tonto through inside trails.

You know that GM is closed, right?

I wouldn't say it is "closed". I would say you need a $50 recreational permit from the State Land Department and if Scottsdale P.D. "catches" you kicking up dust out there, they will ask you to leave.

Without the rec permit, I believe Scottsdale P.D. can and will write you a ticket for trespassing. As far as the dust goes, they can't ticket you. The land owner (State Land Department) is responsible for keeping down the dust. So all that happens is you get asked to leave.

I wouldn't say it is "closed". I would say you need a $50 recreational permit from the State Land Department and if Scottsdale P.D. "catches" you kicking up dust out there, they will ask you to leave.

Without the rec permit, I believe Scottsdale P.D. can and will write you a ticket for trespassing. As far as the dust goes, they can't ticket you. The land owner (State Land Department) is responsible for keeping down the dust. So all that happens is you get asked to leave.

I must have misunderstood then. Why do they have it barricaded off at P & D? I have read that this area is "closed" as in no trespassing with or without a STL permit.

Anybody have a reference to check to see if you can legally ride there with a permit?

*EDIT* I found it....stay off of Granite Mountain land.....it is indeed CLOSED to motorized use.......this might explain why the gates along 136th are open........horses!:

http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/arizona_ohv_trails_places.shtml#granite

You know that GM is closed, right?

Well there is closed adn there is closed. those treaspassing signs have been there for years. As far as the baracades, they are tyhere but the middle one is missing allowing cars in.

harjp1959 is right. State trust is still selling permits. Cops do stop by and if you have a permit they ask you to move on. Of course if you do not stage there they can not hassle you. When I am 10 miles in on 18 inch single track I am not kicking up dust.

But yes it is closed EVERYONE SHOULD STAY AWAY. LOL.

Well there is closed adn there is closed. those treaspassing signs have been there for years. As far as the baracades, they are tyhere but the middle one is missing allowing cars in.

harjp1959 is right. State trust is still selling permits. Cops do stop by and if you have a permit they ask you to move on. Of course if you do not stage there they can not hassle you. When I am 10 miles in on 18 inch single track I am not kicking up dust.

Read my above post and the link. Granite Mountain is CLOSED to motor vehicles. Don't be an idiot:bonk: and ride there when you know you aren't supposed to.:lol: I don't care if you are kicking up dust or not and you probably are. I do not agree that it should be closed but you make the rest of us look bad. You ARE riding in an area that is CLOSED. I figure someone with your intelligence could figure that out.

State trust sells permits for many areas.....not just Granite Mountain (you do understand that right?) so that statement is useless.:p:lol: Did you hit your head when you crashed? :lol:

Read my above post and the link. Granite Mountain is CLOSED to motor vehicles. Don't be an idiot:bonk: and ride there when you know you aren't supposed to.:lol: I don't care if you are kicking up dust or not and you probably are. I do not agree that it should be closed but you make the rest of us look bad. You ARE riding in an area that is CLOSED. I figure someone with your intelligence could figure that out.

State trust sells permits for many areas.....not just Granite Mountain (you do understand that right?) so that statement is useless.:p:lol: Did you hit your head when you crashed? :lol:

Too Funny Mr Brett:lol:

The missing baracade is to allow access for the power line easment. "They" cannot close that off. Now, the question becomes, How are the guys that are maintaining the power lines and the crews that clean up the trees and shrubs areas around the power lines (who are creating dust with their trucks) getting away without a violation? Go figure

Looking at the map the closures are all of Maricopa county not just GM.

www.land.state.az.us/pdfs/DustAbatePlusTable.pdf

I do not recall saying I ride there, I was just saying what I observed. I have not been to GM since early summer. That is what sent me to the track.

BUT if I wanted to I would ride there and they can enforce it with my tax money. Not saying I will but I WOULD and not loose a bit of sleep. They have laws, they can enforce it and fine them. I am cool with that.

Same deal, every time a guy in a truck with a dirt bike in the bed speeds past me I think they make us look bad. They have laws, they can enforce it and fine them. I am cool with that.

We all speed, we all run red lights, we all break the law, we all say the driver in the photo radar is not us many drink and drive even after 1 beer we all cut single track through pristine desert, we all sell used crap that is broken then claim no knowlege we would all screw someone for money this is why the economy is where it is we all have impure thoughts about something or another if you are the religious type we all drive the golf cart where we are not supposed to nobody says hey, you undercharged me. Every person violates some legal or ethical or moral issue 5 times a day every day man. Spare me. :lol:

We ALL have hang ups that we rationalize. Personal attacks about integrity have no effect weight or credibility. I know how people really are. You were probably texting this while driving. :p

Again, I do not ride there right now. I have no plans on it either. I am just sayin.....

Fight the man!!! Someone, not me but I would. :lol:

If you want to ride that area, head up the street a little ways and ride Tonto. What has been done by the City of Scottsdale is not ethical in any way. I spent a lot of time talking to them about this and was never given a clear and consitant answer. IMO what really pushed this over the edge was when the City of Scottsdale decided the easy way out was to fine the State (who owns the land) for OHV people using the trails and this is what created the official closure. The state were not happy about this either. Prior to this this if someone saw you creating dust out in the area they would have to call the Scottsdale PD and they would send out one of the 2 or 3 people they had assigned to coming out to find you. Once they found you, they would ask for proof that you had permission to be there (state trust land permit). If you had the permit, all they would do is ask you to please leave the area for creating the dust. I was also made aware that there were very few OHV dust complaints per month beacuse of dust per month.

Scottsdale wants the rest of Granite Mountan to add to the McDowell Preserve - the real reason behind all of this. Call Mary or Larry and ask them.

Too Funny Mr Brett:lol:

The missing baracade is to allow access for the power line easment. "They" cannot close that off.

The entrance is also to allow access to non-motorized use.

Looking at the map the closures are all of Maricopa county not just GM.

www.land.state.az.us/pdfs/DustAbatePlusTable.pdf

I do not recall saying I ride there, I was just saying what I observed. I have not been to GM since early summer. That is what sent me to the track.

BUT if I wanted to I would ride there and they can enforce it with my tax money. Not saying I will but I WOULD and not loose a bit of sleep. They have laws, they can enforce it and fine them. I am cool with that.

Same deal, every time a guy in a truck with a dirt bike in the bed speeds past me I think they make us look bad. They have laws, they can enforce it and fine them. I am cool with that.

We all speed, we all run red lights, we all break the law, we all say the driver in the photo radar is not us many drink and drive even after 1 beer we all cut single track through pristine desert, we all sell used crap that is broken then claim no knowlege we would all screw someone for money this is why the economy is where it is we all have impure thoughts about something or another if you are the religious type we all drive the golf cart where we are not supposed to nobody says hey, you undercharged me. Every person violates some legal or ethical or moral issue 5 times a day every day man. Spare me. :lol:

We ALL have hang ups that we rationalize. Personal attacks about integrity have no effect weight or credibility. I know how people really are. You were probably texting this while driving. :lol:

Again, I do not ride there right now. I have no plans on it either. I am just sayin.....

Fight the man!!! Someone, not me but I would. :lol:

Ummmmmm ok I guess you are right. :p:lol: Your posts are proving my point better than I ever could.:lol: Thank you. :lol: Of course you know there is STL outside of Maricopa County and that maybe they sell the permits for those areas too?:lol:

Maybe you do all of those things you posted above and are now posting it to make yourself feel better, I dunno. Have I done some of them before? Yes. Do I make a habit of it or do it because I am not supposed to because I want to fight the man? ROFLMFAO ummmm no I don't.

Here is the bottom line.:lol: The area is indeed closed and you should NOT be riding there. If you ride there and are bold (I am trying to be nice and not attack your integrity or intelligence) enough to post it on an internet chat board then yes I will question your integrity. Fair enough? I really don't care how many red lights you run or how fast you drive to get there. :lol:

Dude, you are SOOOO easy to get going, it is not even sporting. :p

You know I am just pushing your buttons. :lol:

As far as me being a dummy, I resemble that remark.:lol:

Dude, you are SOOOO easy to get going, it is not even sporting. :p

You know I am just pushing your buttons. :lol:

Sure ya are. :lol:

Well mostly yes. :lol:

Actually GM closure is what sent me to the track. I am not real fond of the sandy washy stuff like Scamore but I probably need to spend more tie out there to find the actual single track like GM has. Man it was good while it lasted.

I never said that but with each of your posts myself and I am sure others are wondering. :p:lol:

Ohh you said it just not in so many words. It was funny too. It was all in between the lines. I could picture your big aggressive, opinionated self straining at the key board in anger. Fun stuff. :lol:

Hey I never asked, is exmlb "Ex major league ball player"?

Ohh you said it just not in so many words. It was funny too. It was all in between the lines. I could picture your big aggressive, opinionated self straining at the key board in anger. Fun stuff. :lol:

Even now I am restraining myself so much........you really had me worked up. I broke my monitor and keyboard LMAO :p

Yeah you are really excitable and have ALOT of testosterone man. Todd and I talk about how easily excitable you get. So I decided to have fun.

God forbid I threw in there that Honda sucks! :p Ohhh, I was about to work in a line with a "straight face" about I'd ride off road more but I am afraid my Honda could not take it but I could sense you were really heating up already.

No worries man, I am NOT riding there. I understand the issues as you say. Sorry for having fun at your expense too. It is fascinating to see how your mind works though. I got some real insight into you. It was childish though. I applolgize.:lol:

Yeah you are really excitable and have ALOT of testosterone man. Todd and I talk about that.

God forbid I threw in there that Honda sucks! :p I was about to work in a line with a "straight face" about I'd ride off road more but I am afraid my Honda could not take it but I could sense you were really heating up already.

No worries man, I am NOT riding there. I understand the issues as you say. Sorry for having fun at your expense too. :lol:

Ok let me put it this way.....there is nothing that YOU can say or do that will get me too worked up..Todd should know better. I am sure you will have to add your last snipit....feel free to keep posting I am done.