125L help needed

My sister and bro-in-law just gave me a TTR 125L that's been sitting for at least the last 4 years.

My plans are to use it as a backyard play bike. My 450 is just too big to chase my kids around on our small track.

I'm not Joe Mechanic but I'm not a total dip-@$%& either, I just have no experience with the TTR 125.

I've read many posts already and you guys have built some damn nice TTR's! I don't want to break the bank, I just want to have a nice (and inexpensive) backyard play bike that my wife can ride too.

So far, I've gotta get a new chain, clean the carb, oil change, new filter, bars and risers and then consider the suspension.

Can I beef up this suspension without doing the YZ 85 front end? What about sprokets, is there a prefered size combo? Our track is fairly tight so a lot of bottom end works just fine.

I know there has been a ton of posts about this and I don't mean to flood the board with another, can someone post a good link to a previous thread for me?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.

just buy the bbr fork springs and the bbr rear spring that should be fine for a small track.

Also there is no need to spend time on the sprokets. The stock ones are fine unless you really want to spend the money there are lighter ones.

Also go with a bigger pilot and main jet with a pipe tip or maybe even a whole new pipe. I have a PC t-4 and it really gets it going out of corners.

One last thing is to remove the snorkel out from the air box, its under the seat, or just cut holes in the air box cover. That with the high flow filter will increase some power. And if you really want to remove the screen from behind the air filter, that will get more air into the engine.

Definitely do the mods that are in the sticky. I swear by them. Re jet,air box and exhaust mod. Then work on the suspension.

Also put a bbr frame cradle on it. Everyone forgets about it but you definetly need it if you weigh over 160. The frame will stretch and crack and then you will die when you crash. Not literally but it would help.

I had looked directly over the "sticky", sorry guys.

Thanks for the info to those that posted anyway.

BigBelly, I let my 18 year old ride my 10 year olds 05 ttr 125 today and he put the bike hard over on the right hand side. I have had a bbr cradle in mind but was in no rush as my 10 year old is only 100 pounds. My 200 pounder bent the brake pedal into the case and broke off some of the right hand side cooling fins and bent the peg mount arm up so far the kickstarter won't go down! The frame cradle just moved to the front of the list on my modification schedule, I believe it's width and overall size would have completely sheilded that particular area from any damage. FRAME CRADLE MOD= MUCHO IMPORTANT!!!

My sister and bro-in-law just gave me a TTR 125L that's been sitting for at least the last 4 years.

My plans are to use it as a backyard play bike. My 450 is just too big to chase my kids around on our small track.

I'm not Joe Mechanic but I'm not a total dip-@$%& either, I just have no experience with the TTR 125.

I've read many posts already and you guys have built some damn nice TTR's! I don't want to break the bank, I just want to have a nice (and inexpensive) backyard play bike that my wife can ride too.

So far, I've gotta get a new chain, clean the carb, oil change, new filter, bars and risers and then consider the suspension.

Can I beef up this suspension without doing the YZ 85 front end? What about sprokets, is there a prefered size combo? Our track is fairly tight so a lot of bottom end works just fine.

I know there has been a ton of posts about this and I don't mean to flood the board with another, can someone post a good link to a previous thread for me?

yz forks are the only good fix for the front......the stockers are too weak....bbr springs cant fix that and will only make them harsh.....rear doesnt have enough rebound dampening for the heavy spring.....trust me i went that route , then sold them to someone else who was conviced they were the way to go.......even tried to talk them out of it....lol.....yz forks .....rear raised with a slightly heavier spring ......should be the cheapest ''good '' way to go.

ive done every thing you can do to the bike and the forks were the best mod of all......also with the mod, you can lower them in the clamps and raise the rear to give you more clearance and a better ride height for an adult ...which can be lowered back for a smaller rider if needed.....im not one of those who thing that every trail bike needs an inverted fork conversion,,,the crf's have big enough and strong enough forks that you can get mods to make them work well for trail riding and a conversion is not really needed.......but for the ttr........the yz forks are easy to swap and inexpensive on ebay....and are the quickest easiest good fix for the front . you cannot make the stock front work good for an adult.......its just not made for that......save yourself some time and money by skipping the quick fix......it wont cost much more and youll be much happier ....jls

Since I am only going to ride this bike in my yard I have (against better judgement) sent out the stock suspension for an upgrade. I have read a bunch of posts telling me to do the YZ forks and I probably will in time but for now....

I don't even know where to begin looking for a good set of YZ forks. Do they generally work without modification or do they too need new springs, valving, etc.? I did find a set on Ebay for about $300 but they "needed work".

I have the entire bike torn apart and a parts list of about $800 that needs to be done (excluding the suspension). I've got a buddy doing the suspension and it's gonna cost me about $200.00 for everything.

I will be playing on this bike but it will also be used as a bike for my wife as well.

Exhaust and gearing are another question I've had. I know there are a bunch of options but what are tried and true set-ups? What brand do you like, how many teeth on front/rear, etc.? FMF seems to be the cheapest I have found, anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks for the help folks!

'Nuther question too, what about bars? Which bar mounts are cheap and accomplish added height and the use of an 1 1/8 bar? I have read a few posts about bars and which is the best way to go with the stock clamps but now I can't find that post.

Someone had recommended the "Tusk" brand from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC, I can't find those either!

Rocky mtn atv carries tusk brand handle bars, just go to the bottom of the page and click on "view all items"

The best thing I did for the TTR 125 is put a YZ80 carb on it. This increased the power, throttle response, & made the bike way less cold blooded. I had lots of choke & jetting problems on the stock carb. The air box mod is great to. I didn't put the washers on the exhaust because I use this bike in the backyard, trying to keep peace in the neboirhood.

Id get pretty big sprockets it will help on the small track:thumbsup: