Question For The Doctor?

Three weeks ago I shattered my distal radius and broke the Styloid process in my arm/wrist. I have an External Fixator on after the surgery and was looking for an estimate recovery time. I am hoping he takes the Fixator off after 6 weeks, for I hate this thing. Should I be puting ice on the arm or taking Motrin for the swelling?

Motrin is forbidden in fracture treatment nowadays.

The rest of the information you need to get from the guy who applied the fixator.

I didnt' know people used those things anymore. The last on I put on was in 2000.

I shattered my wrist pretty good in Sept 2001 and had an external fixator on for about 8 weeks or so I think...important thing to do is the physical therapy on your fingers and hands....you need to get those things moving ASAP so you will have full function afterwards...

It is pretty nasty looking at holes in your arm and having to clean them all the time, but I healed up alright.

I just had an external fixator on my broken tib/fib. They said they couldn't operate (plate and screws) until the swelling went down. Had it on for 1 1/2

weeks.:lol:

I just had an external fixator on my broken tib/fib. They said they couldn't operate (plate and screws) until the swelling went down. Had it on for 1 1/2

weeks.:lol:

only that long. why did they take it off so quick?

Hey sidewinder2 I had an external fixiator on for my broken Tib/Fib for 3 weeks so the swelling could go down for surgery to be performed, not much fun, lots of major pain for 5 weeks, its been 13 weeks since the accident. Went from 220 lbs. to 195 lbs. it is nice to lose the weight! Hey question... I have a plate and 7 screws on each side of my ankle and my surgeon said she is not taking it out. Am I at risk with riding with it in? All I will be doing from now on is trail riding. Thanks man!!

only that long. why did they take it off so quick?

They only had it on until the swelling in my knee went down to an appropiate level. then they operated and put a metal plate and 10 screws in.!!

Hey sidewinder2 I had an external fixiator on for my broken Tib/Fib for 3 weeks so the swelling could go down for surgery to be performed, not much fun, lots of major pain for 5 weeks, its been 13 weeks since the accident. Went from 220 lbs. to 195 lbs. it is nice to lose the weight! Hey question... I have a plate and 7 screws on each side of my ankle and my surgeon said she is not taking it out. Am I at risk with riding with it in? All I will be doing from now on is trail riding. Thanks man!!

Hmmm, I wouldn't think it would be a problem, but ask your doc to make sure!!

post the X-ray.