Sign in to follow this  

Base gasket leakage

Hi everyone,

I am having a heck of a time with leakage from my base gasket right by the exhaust. It isn't that bad of a leak but dang! I have replaced the base gasket twice now.

Has anyone ever used sealant on the gasket? I don't know what else to do? Before doing my top end there were NO leaks so I doubt there is warpage. Anyone got any suggestions for me?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I am having a heck of a time with leakage from my base gasket right by the exhaust. It isn't that bad of a leak but dang! I have replaced the base gasket twice now.

Has anyone ever used sealant on the gasket? I don't know what else to do? Before doing my top end there were NO leaks so I doubt there is warpage. Anyone got any suggestions for me?

Thanks

is it a copper gasket???

Hey fry clean the head and cylinder up real well use some scotch brite and carb cleaner, rub the head on a piece of glass sprayed with carb cleaner,

flip the gasket 180.

if its aluminum heat it up a little with a torch just a hair like 150-160 then install it warm if its copper get it real hot then dip it in water then install it,

if its a fiber use a little 2T oil on it rub it in let in soak in then install, what bike is this?

if it still leaks 3 bond and you do have a warped head.

you could also doublt up the gaskets if you kept the old one.

It's paper Jam. I tried the 2t oil on it the first time. Then the other site recommended no oil.

Its on the 65.

if it still leaks 3 bond and you do have a warped head.

you could also doublt up the gaskets if you kept the old one.

Doubling up the gaskets would mess with the squish yes? Then I'd have to do some ignition work. I highly doubt its warped but it may be?

It isn't leaking from the head but from bottom of the cylinder where it connects to bottom end

what are you torquing it to? i would double up a head gasket but not the cylinder gasket,

i have always used the 2T oil on all paper gaskets or even 10w30 whatever i have laying around tranny fluid will work the best it will swell the gasket the best i doubt it warped at the base,

the 3 bond will work great, but i'd still try to get the paper gasket to work,

where on the cylinder is it leaking front or back? or one of the side? i assume you you already check for flaws or burrs etc. there is a lip on some cylinders that is a 1 deg offset to actually perform a seal it is actually the primary seal the gasket is really a secondary seal, does the ktm 65 have this? its where the cylinder skirts meet the cylinder block,

have you checked your head studs to see if one is loose/stripped, or backed off?

It is leaking at the front of the cylinder by the exhaust.

I can't get a socket let alone a torque wrench on it so it is Fryboy tight :lol: I made sure to tighten them in a X fashion like you would a car for example.

The stud bolts looked fine to me and the nuts all seem pretty damn tight. All of my Pee Wee KTM Mechanics tell me they don't use any oil on the gaskets.

but you tried a dry gasket it still leaks correct?

i have always used a little oil on every paper or cork gasket i have ever installed just a light rub with my finger.

is it leaking out of the crankcase on top of the split? or right through the crankcase?

Yes, the last time was a totally dry base gasket.

"is it leaking out of the crankcase on top of the split? or right through the crankcase? "

Not sure I understand this last question. It is leaking out the crack between the bottom end and the cylinder towards the front of the engine (by exhaust)

Yes, the last time was a totally dry base gasket.

"is it leaking out of the crankcase on top of the split? or right through the crankcase? "

Not sure I understand this last question. It is leaking out the crack between the bottom end and the cylinder towards the front of the engine (by exhaust)

yeah sorry i was pretty out if it, it was past my bedtime when i responded, but yes could it be a possible case gasket failure?

how do you know it is leaking can you feel it? or is it just running lean?

the only problems i have ever had have been from head matching, never any cylinder to case leaks,is there any other symptoms? like does it only start to leak when warmed up? any water in the exhuast? or in the oil?

I can see where the fluid comes out that's how I know where it is leaking. No mixing with the oil.

It starts to leak when idling or revving at the starting gate or before riding. Bike runs great no lean condition whatsoever.

Interesting Treehopper I haven't heard of anyone Soaking them.

is it coolant, or pre-mix that is leaking? if its coolant you could have a cracked water jacket, or the cylinder could be warped and sitting on top of the lip of the gasket and allowing water to run on top of the gasket,

i would punch 4 holes in a piece of paper and slide it right over the studs on the case then rub a VERY LIGHT amount of oil on the cylinder, put the cylinder on and dont tighten it just set it on then pull it off and see if there are any "dry" spot on the paper where the cylinder isnt matching up to the case. if you see any dry spots then your cylinder and or case is warped, now if you dont have any dry spots get a new piece of paper tape it to the cylinder and repeat the process but put the oil on the case and then see if there are flat spots on that side. this wil tell you if the leak is coming from on top of the gasket or below which will show you if its the case or cylinder,

I still think its a gasket failure, maybe a string of bad gaskets?

is there or was there a aluminum ring that fits inside the gasket?