2009 CRF450R "Cold" starting issues solved.

I live in the south. Lafayette, LA to be exact. My bike would take 15/20

kicks easily to start. Shit was driving me up the wall. Finally, I think I have it figured out hopefully. Read below for my procedure on starting.

1.) DO NOT PULL OUT IDLE KNOB!!!

2.) Kick it 3/4 times & bike will run briefley & kill out.

3.) Now pull out Idle knob. Bike will fire up!!!

Crazy isn't it!!! Now I have done it @ 90+ degree days & today 10-28-2008

the temp. was around 40 degrees here in Lafayette, LA. I hope this works for you guy's. These bikes aren't cheap. HONDA if you guy's read this,..... I hope you will investigate.

me and my buddy do something similar and has worked like a charm so far

cold starts

3 slow primer kicks

pull out idle knob

1 kick fires up

Hot starts or stalls

1/2 kicks idle knob in

fires right up

Same here.

When cold, if it doesn't start after two or three kicks I will pull out the knob and it fires right up. When warmed up, usually starts on the first kick, never more than two kicks when warm.

That's funny stuff!

Then rub your belly twice, tap the kill button once, take a deep breath, push down on the seat, while holding your visor, close your left eye and kick!

Works every time, I swear!!!

That's funny stuff!

Then rub your belly twice, tap the kill button once, take a deep breath, push down on the seat, while holding your visor, close your left eye and kick!

Works every time, I swear!!!

Now thats priceless!!

well i was talking to my buddy that has this 09 and he was having some hard starting issues with his now and he check the valves and the intakes where so tight that he couldnt get a feeler in there at all. but the exhaust was just a little tight (normal for break in tight) he has about 25hrs on his now. but for those having hard starting issues you might want to check your valves

It has been said that you also have to get a complete stroke on the kick to get the thing to light...If you slap at it = No workie.

Pilot screw controls throttle from zero to 1/4 throttle (slow jet) mine was loose and worked its way out of adjustment. check manual for how many turns, mine lists 1-1/4 to 2 turns from seat, cold start problem means it is beyond 2 turns.take it up to seat then set at 1-1/4 turns. worked for me, starts after 2-3 kicks every time with choke out.

Pilot screw controls throttle from zero to 1/4 throttle (slow jet) mine was loose and worked its way out of adjustment. check manual for how many turns, mine lists 1-1/4 to 2 turns from seat, cold start problem means it is beyond 2 turns.take it up to seat then set at 1-1/4 turns. worked for me, starts after 2-3 kicks every time with choke out.

This thread is for the 09/10 EFI - no jets, no choke.

every 09 ive ever started cold-

fast idle out

kick 3 times

its running

let fast idle for 20 seconds

push fast idle in

ride

LOL I guess we all have our own way of starting our 09's Mine goes like this

one full kick fast idle in

one kick fast idle all the way out

one kick with the fast idle pulled half way out in it starts

once it's started I pull it the rest of the way out to warm up a tad then push it back in. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

fast idle out

kick 3 times

its running

push fast idle in

ride

Same.

fast idle out

kick 3 times

its running

push fast idle in

ride

Im with Eddie! I think you will get the same results if you start with the knob out! I always kick it all the way through normally starts in 2 kicks! i do have Eddies remap!

This thread is for the 09/10 EFI - no jets, no choke.

Aaaaahhhh ok, so now I understand why I was thinking "idle knob, ***....?" :thumbsup: So i'll guess that the old practice to two or three throttle twists to prime a cold engine no longer appies to the EFI bikes does it. Since the EFI is not on when the bike it not running does not seem like it would do anything.