Sign in to follow this  

Calling all Radio experts (Johnny)

Hey just wondering since I do not have a race radio that if a hand held vhf is powerful enough to listen to the weatherman and score well watching the race, since I will be in a friends truck and won't be able to hook up a more powerful radio. I was looking at the Yaesu vx 170.

Hey just wondering since I do not have a race radio that if a hand held vhf is powerful enough to listen to the weatherman and score well watching the race, since I will be in a friends truck and won't be able to hook up a more powerful radio. I was looking at the Yaesu vx 170.

More than capable specially for this race...

More than capable specially for this race...

Glad to hear this. Ordered one last week.

Gary

that is a nice head band...check out the commando antenna capable of being used for kick stand of any xr:smirk:

this commando guy sure has his "race face" on. he is focused and ready to shoot any non-Hushy that gets in the way of the overall.:lol:

Who did you order that from Gary? Price?

Got it from www.theantennafarm.com Off E-bay. $129.95 plus 9.95 shipping. BUT, got a e mail saying if I wanted all the frequencies advertised I needed to pay another $30. The guy also suggested a 10" antenna $20 so I went with that to. What do I know. So, bottom line was $189.90 I'ver got a headset that I hope will work.

It seemed like alot of money but it is programable from the key pad, don't have to send it off, 5 watts and water proof. I am really not a tech guy so I hope I didn't screw up.

Gary,

John at antenna farm is a good guy and won't steer you wrong. I've made a few purchases from him and have never been disappointed.

John

Little birdie told me JAT was chilling out in the dunes......:p

without internet/radio/phone/etc.??:lol:

Little birdie told me JAT was chilling out in the dunes......:lol:

So what you're saying is that he's on the run from the FCC? I knew this radio stuff was dangerous.

James... not "more than capable"... but will do well for a handheld, especially at the price. HRO (Ham Radio Outlet) sells them for $120 I believe.

... PM me if you'd like a 'tuned' antenna. I have them made for 155.000 - much better than the ones that are store bought, and claim a 2db gain...etc.etc. As those are usually 2 meter HAM antennas, and not made for the upper MOD'd band (removing MARS/CAP)

Again... PM me, or hit me on email... you should have it. I can take care of ya... as I have a pretty good process established for the out-of-towners.

2982695174_97eb72bf8d_o.jpg

Damn... very nice! Rambo-tito?! And how dare you! I'd wear a throat mic!!! :lol:

... and yes, I've tried those too :eek:

Got it from www.theantennafarm.com Off E-bay. $129.95 plus 9.95 shipping. BUT, got a e mail saying if I wanted all the frequencies advertised I needed to pay another $30. The guy also suggested a 10" antenna $20 so I went with that to. What do I know. So, bottom line was $189.90 I'ver got a headset that I hope will work.

It seemed like alot of money but it is programable from the key pad, don't have to send it off, 5 watts and water proof. I am really not a tech guy so I hope I didn't screw up.

Gary... got the right radio! Did you buy a CT-91 adapter. NEED ONE!

... I've got about 70freqs I can plug into your radio if you'd like. Let me know. To add... I think my antennas are 12" long and have less than 1:3 SWR (very nice)

And don't skimp on your headset. BajaDesigns has the one you'd want. $185 all day long. And same same as all the other more costly units you'll see or hear about... yet, the same thing (when the MIC is the KEY element here!!)

Little birdie told me JAT was chilling out in the dunes......:banghead:

Chillin' is right. 100° weather, a coozie for my beverage... and only 3 rides in 5 days on the ol' CR5hundy. Couldn't of been more happier.

But now that you've given away my coordinates via "dunes"... I'm going to have to go 007 on your ass! :worthy:

:bonk:

... PM me if you'd like a 'tuned' antenna. I have them made for 155.000 - much better than the ones that are store bought, and claim a 2db gain...etc.etc. As those are usually 2 meter HAM antennas, and not made for the upper MOD'd band (removing MARS/CAP)

PM me your prices.

James... not "more than capable"... but will do well for a handheld, especially at the price. HRO (Ham Radio Outlet) sells them for $120 I believe.

Again... PM me, or hit me on email... you should have it. I can take care of ya... as I have a pretty good process established for the out-of-towners.

Damn... very nice! Rambo-tito?! And how dare you! I'd wear a throat mic!!! :bonk:

... and yes, I've tried those too :eek:

Gary... got the right radio! Did you buy a CT-91 adapter. NEED ONE!

... I've got about 70freqs I can plug into your radio if you'd like. Let me know. To add... I think my antennas are 12" long and have less than 1:3 SWR (very nice)

And don't skimp on your headset. BajaDesigns has the one you'd want. $185 all day long. And same same as all the other more costly units you'll see or hear about... yet, the same thing (when the MIC is the KEY element here!!)

Chillin' is right. 100° weather, a coozie for my beverage... and only 3 rides in 5 days on the ol' CR5hundy. Couldn't of been more happier.

But now that you've given away my coordinates via "dunes"... I'm going to have to go 007 on your ass! :worthy:

:banghead:

JAT, if I were you....I would have given everyone GPS tracks right to where you were......:lol: :lol: :lol:

PM me your prices.

Email me, you got the 411. :lol:

JAT, if I were you....I would have given everyone GPS tracks right to where you were......:eek::banghead::bonk:

:worthy:

:lol: