Aluminum tanks for Husky's.

I read with great interest the thread regarding the IMS tanks and the cracking problem that was in part, seam related. Although this may be a slight problem (major problem to those who have experienced this); my question to those Husky riders in the know, concerns any company that may produce aluminum tanks for late model TC's, WR's or CR's. I have no doubt these tanks would be expensive, however, it does peak my interest somewhat.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Regards,

JEF

Aluminum tanks are MUCH MORE prone to springing leaks with use. Scott Summers spent an ungodly amount on aluminum tanks for his team HSQ bikes only to have to repair them after each race because they kept seeping no matter how good of a weld they made. The vibration/resonance generation from the single cylinder combined with the mounting method for the fuel tanks on the 08 HSQ's has proven a big challenge. The new IMS tanks for the HSQ's have withstood alot of abuse already in the GNCC rounds and are holding up great for the 08's

I have a hard time believing that plastic could survive longer then a tig welded 3k or4k tank. Don't know for sure but the really surprises me, plus you would think that they would do a cast and weld or screw and gasket the top/cap.

Not trying to fight you just surprised, if you can please post a little more info... many engine components and frames are alum.

I think aluminum engine parts hold up well because they can be thicker. the aluminum tanks have to be soo thin to be light....

As a certified welder, I have to agree that the plastic can give more and absorb vibration better than this thin metal. I think that the IMS tanks just had a bad run and that's why people have been reporting failures recently.

My '88 Yamaha has the original tank and believe me, this sucker has been abused thoroughly by its previous owner. The plastic tank is still fine, even has the original plastic cap. I think it's easy to get frustrated with plastic when we have trouble with it. plastic tanks would look great if we had aluminum ones that were constantly failing.

I think that plastic tanks are all right, as long as the manufacturers (IMS in particular) can work out their recipes/kinks they have had recently.

just my 3 cents. I don't mean to offend.

so the thinner alum would have issues with vibration and dings cause it seems like it would be more then willing to bend as long as it was not plates welded together (pressed rounded sheets like street bikes for example)? No we appreciate your input, you would be the expert. Thanks for your experience.

How about other materials SS etc (probably to heavy but just a thought)

i have to wonder about the alloy they used on the tanks, and if they used the right rod. sounds simple but i have seen counter people at the welding supply shop sell the wrong rod to somebody until i asked them to get the reference book. boy was he pissed. the other welder on here will know that there are rods for strength and some for color match, some more compatable with mixed alloys. i won't let this run long, but it could have been made out of the wrong alloy to begin with. just a thought. not to many welder have taken metallurgy classes.... ??

Its hard to believe that who made the alloy tanks knew what they were doing. The factory bikes have had alloy tanks many many times over the years, I read that the Hondas had them last year. My 73 and 74 Maico tanks held up great for 30+ years and those things VIBRATE. IMHO it can work if done correctly. Didn't I see English CO. that makes Alloy Husky tanks?

i think those alum tanks from england were the ones from GXP or something, real crude, no radius corner or any english wheel work, least of all any stamped shells. there would have to be a big order for somebody to consider gearing up to do a run of alum tanks. I would want at least a dozen before i would consider it. ??

• 2 weeks later...

I had an Omero Alloy tank on my 08 Husaberg FE450 and it had some serious bling factor to it, but it was a lot louder than the stock plastic tank.

At a certain rpm, it sounded like the bike had a bearing going out of the bottom end.

There was a Husky with a stock aluminium tank that they came out with not to long ago. It was one of their special edition production bikes. They wanted it to look like the old ones with the polished aluminium tank section, and it did because the plastics covered it up and only a portion was sticking out like the stock black plastic tanks, just aluminium. Every plastic was carbon fiber on top of the "SMRR" carbon fiber goodies that came on the engine as well as the aluminium tank. They didn't have any exported to the US and I think they only made around 100 of them. They were also around 15,000-20,000 USD. :worthy:

B Harv There was a Husky with a stock aluminium tank that they came out with not to long ago. It was one of their special edition production bikes. They wanted it to look like the old ones with the polished aluminium tank section, and it did because the plastics covered it up and only a portion was sticking out like the stock black plastic tanks, just aluminium. Every plastic was carbon fiber on top of the "SMRR" carbon fiber goodies that came on the engine as well as the aluminium tank. They didn't have any exported to the US and I think they only made around 100 of them. They were also around 15,000-20,000 USD.

I think this is the one you were talking about.

zupins07.jpg

zupins04.jpg

zupins06.jpg

zupins08.jpg

zupins10.jpg

Mike

just so you know, that tank is a stamped item. somebody had to figure in the cost of the stamping dies, thus the reason for the ultra high price on the tank. am willing to bet they pulled a mold off of a stock tank then reverse engineered it for a stamping die. short run, ultra quality stuff costs big bucks.. ?:moon: :moon: :ride:

Well the more I read, the more it seems finding an aluminum tank will not be an easy task and probably not worth the effort; when considering cost and availability factors. The photos of the tank sure look great.

However, if anyone does find a tank made in the USA that is not super expensive, let me know. Thanks to all for your valued information.

Regards,

JEF

Thats where I got the pictures from. The thread is here if you do a search. I did a Deployment to Germany last Christmas and went to check out their shop. It was very awsome. They had tones of gear and parts. I actually tried to find that tank but they didnt make them. They were actually made by Husqvarna for that particular limited bike. Only a hundred i believe. Husky did make them for their Moto team. but they arent sold to the public.

Mike

there would have to be a big order for somebody to consider gearing up to do a run of alum tanks. I would want at least a dozen before i would consider it. ?:moon:

Wouldnt be to hard to get (10-15) '08 TE 610 guys signed up. Think you could do it for $500/tank?

Something around 5 gallons, hole for fuel pump, fitting for crossover line, etc.