Sign in to follow this  

Plating a bike in New Mexico

The sticky at the top of this forum seems to have dead link.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if you can plate a bike in New Mexico? If so, what is required?

Thanks

From what I've heard here in NM is you can only a plate a bike for the street if the title originally started that way no OH. My brother inlaw was going to buy a DRZE from Arizona that had the light kit and plated in AZ, he checked with the local MVD and they told him no way. I have seen some bikes that I know started as off road only and they have plates, they're rare to see and I think they lucked out or new someone on the inside.

New Mexico appears to be on the list with many other states that do not like to plate dirt bikes. Arizona however looks to be a better place to plate a dirt bike, and it's right next door!

New Mexico appears to be on the list with many other states that do not like to plate dirt bikes. Arizona however looks to be a better place to plate a dirt bike, and it's right next door!

yeah that's what i have heard,they want the title to say road legal.if not you can not have a dealer or shop modify your non road legal bike to road legal unless the title say's road legal from the start.but i have a friend that is a cop that will help me though.:worthy:

If its plated in another state it can be plated in New Mexico . Dont even bother trying if you just have a MSO that does not say for street use unless you have a brother-in-law at the DMV. Its pretty tough here.

BTT for an update.

good buddy of mine bought a xr400r this past weekend. no blinkers, no license plate light, no spedo, no horn, no reflectors, title that said "offroad". Filled out form 10053 stating that everything was in fact there, got insurance thru his agent and went to mvd express in albuquerque on eubank and lomas this morning when the doors opened.

walked out 10 minutes later with a non-offroad title, and a street plate.

:p:smirk::(