Trade some valving info?

I have the Race tech valving charts for KYB shocks (part #SMGV 4401,4601,4651) and KYB forks (part # SMGV 4401,4601, 4651). I would like to trade some info with someone that has the charts for a CRF 450 (04 & up). Any takers?

I dont have any CRF info but arent those valve stacks specifically for a gold valve? If so they wont really be relevent to anyone with std pistons so you might not have many takers.

When I put the Gold Valves in my KX I compared them to the stockers and didn't see any differences asides from the color, I also bought some FC oil lockers and noticed the same thing. In fact the lockers were identical in every way as far as dimensions. Kinda makes me suspicious....

When I put the Gold Valves in my KX I compared them to the stockers and didn't see any differences asides from the color, I also bought some FC oil lockers and noticed the same thing. In fact the lockers were identical in every way as far as dimensions. Kinda makes me suspicious....

You get an "A" for this semester!

Yeah, good point. Although wouldn't even a small change in port size have a reasonable effect on the way a particular stack works. I guess it could still be interesting to compare though, maybe i jumped the gun.

Although wouldn't even a small change in port size have a reasonable effect on the way a particular stack works. I guess it could still be interesting to compare though, maybe i jumped the gun.

good point, I enlarged my ports from 2.5 I think to 3.3mm. I did some other mods at the same time so I don't know if there's a noticeable difference but will do a dyno next time

The porting on the Golds may have been slightly bigger, but the valve stack was much different than stock, and the mid valve conversion was a major change in itself. The overall results were great though I don't know what % I would say the actual valve was responsible for.

you have to make significant changes in port size to use a significant change in shim stack builds,

eg a std kyb open bath base valve may use 6 face shims, but a mxt one uses only one.

I need the valving chart for SMGV 4401 any chance I could get a copy?

So Gold Valves are like buying a Cadillac Escalade ??

All your really getting is a Suburban with some fancy trim ??

Or do they actually flow differently , since the valving is different than stock when using them ?

Or do people actually put in Gold Valves and leave the Shims alone ?

So Gold Valves are like buying a Cadillac Escalade ??

All your really getting is a Suburban with some fancy trim ??

Or do they actually flow differently , since the valving is different than stock when using them ?

Or do people actually put in Gold Valves and leave the Shims alone ?

on the kyb open bath, the 3 large gold valve ports look to flow better than the 4 stock smaller ones.

its the shimming information that helps out. its a good starting point for those new to valving.

the charts are usefull too.

i have the charts for a cr500 2001 for a 184 kg rider/mx.

I only have the charts (if your talking the Race Tech charts that come with the Gold Valve Kits) , for a 02 CRF450R Showa (20mm base valves as opposed to 30mm for every other year)

The GV kits are great for someone who want's to DIY and doesn't have the know-how to build stacks on their own...and learn more about tuning.

The GR2's are infinatly adjustible, not saying one couldn't get simular results with the stock valve providing they had an array of shims at their disposal....which most out there do not.

The GV pretty much gives you everything you need to get a base line and enough shims to tune in either direction, with good results.

If you think about it that's pretty cool.

Remember the days when suspension was super secrete and no information was shared, it was cloak and dagger, 007 spy stuff

RT was the first to spoil the magic show

Now look at us...posting stack arrangements on line.

You guys may think it's lame but I'm a big fan of RT's product and I'd still use it today.

I've been a RT dealer since 1994. I do use some of their products but not everything. They are good about constantly trying to improve their products and results. The G2R valves *can* work well but have more tuning variables than the Type I or Type II GV's. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you know. Even when using Gold Valves of whatever flavor, I typically don't use their valving recommendations.

I've been a RT dealer since 1994. I do use some of their products but not everything. They are good about constantly trying to improve their products and results. The G2R valves *can* work well but have more tuning variables than the Type I or Type II GV's. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you know. Even when using Gold Valves of whatever flavor, I typically don't use their valving recommendations.

can you elaborate why you dont usually go by there settings?

are they too soft or loose or smoething?

ive just installed gv1 in the front end of my 2001 cr500.

i cant really fault it atm because they are such an improvement as my old shim stacks were harsh single stacks.

however, over the fast small choppy stuff, they tend to feel a little vague. but all in all, they do as they said they would.

more bottoming resistance, smoother/plusher ride.