Cheap checker HIDs?

I was thinking it would be cool and cheap to hook up either the one 7" or the two 4" HIDs from checker/shucks/kragen for less than a third or the cost of baja designs.

has anybody done this? the only prob I can think of is startup amperage.

but after they heat up they only use 30w.

either one of these:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=CSM&MfrPartNumber=99004&CategoryCode=3157D

or two of these:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=CSM&MfrPartNumber=99000CSK&CategoryCode=3157D

just weld up a hoop hook up a switch and BAM?!

whaddya tink?

I have considered the same thing. They should work great. Just remember they are high beams and will blind on coming drivers if used on road at night. Now off road they should work great. The big one will focus better and the small one will throw light all around. as long as you have DC it's an easy way for a ton of light. You will need a battery though. A HID needs about 150 watts to fire. It drops right down to 70 or so and then ramps down to 35 as it warms up.

The HID retrofit kits are getting cheaper and cheaper. They are down to $60 or so for a two bulb kit.

That lighting pattern looks great. How did you mount the light?

Duct tape.?

It was really very easy on my DRZ-S. Just made a bracket to connect the two stock light brackets. Really just a piece of channel connecting the two would be fine. The harderst part was figuring out what to do with all the stock wiring. There is a ton of stuff hiding behind a stock DRZ light.

I can go from that to stock in about 10 minutes.

Duct tape.?

It was really very easy on my DRZ-S. Just made a bracket to connect the two stock light brackets. Really just a piece of channel connecting the two would be fine. The harderst part was figuring out what to do with all the stock wiring. There is a ton of stuff hiding behind a stock DRZ light.

I can go from that to stock in about 10 minutes.

Are you using the stock electrical system such as the stator or did you upgrade that? Also how did you wire it into you bikes electrical system?