Valve Troubles Again !

Had new Husqvarna TI intake valves fitted October last year and did about 15 hours on them when a month ago the bike wouldn’t start and it was the intake valves they had both tightened up so much that I couldn’t get a feeler gauge in there :lol: so after :p at it I re-shimmed it to a gap of 0.007 in. due to it being a little hard to get it spot on, so it had a loose gaping and I have now done 3-4 hours riding and they have both tightened up again, that I cant get a feeler gauge in there :lol: My Question is do I need new valves again ?

Looks that way.

Yes. You do.

Question...> Where the valveseats cut, when new valves were installed?

If yes, the engine MUST have ingested dirt, for the valves to fail so quickly.

If no, shame on whoever installed them. They were destined to fail. Lightly cutting the seats is MANDATORY, as it removes any imbedded silca, which otherwise trashes new valves in short order.

Sorry for the misfortune. Modern Ti valves are very reliable, but they cannot tolerate ANY dirt.

Yes. You do.

Question...> Where the valveseats cut, when new valves were installed?

If yes, the engine MUST have ingested dirt, for the valves to fail so quickly.

If no, shame on whoever installed them. They were destined to fail. Lightly cutting the seats is MANDATORY, as it removes any imbedded silca, which otherwise trashes new valves in short order.

Sorry for the misfortune. Modern Ti valves are very reliable, but they cannot tolerate ANY dirt.

I don’t know if the valve seats were cut or not as I had a Husqvarna dealer put them in for me but I wasn’t very impressed with there work so wouldn’t put it past them but on the other hand I did have the carburettor pop off when doing a 3 hour enduro and so it could have sucked in some dirt which happened on my last ride but I put a new cleaned oiled filter in every ride.

So it looks like I need new valves so my next Question is Do I go for stainless steel or Husky TI valves?

Sorry to hear about the problems. you have my sympathy!

You don't deserve all this frustration :lol:

I don’t know if the valve seats were cut or not as I had a Husqvarna dealer put them in for me but I wasn’t very impressed with there work so wouldn’t put it past them but on the other hand I did have the carburettor pop off when doing a 3 hour enduro and so it could have sucked in some dirt which happened on my last ride but I put a new cleaned oiled filter in every ride.

So it looks like I need new valves so my next Question is Do I go for stainless steel or Husky TI valves?

It is a waste of time to put in brand new valves into old seats. You need new seats, preferrably hardened seats, re-cut for the new valves, and leak-down tested. Don't ever take a motorcyle to a dealer, unless you know for sure the competence of the mechanic. Try a search for Head Rebuild and you will find a few companies you can send your head out to for a proper rebuild.

It is a waste of time to put in brand new valves into old seats. You need new seats, preferrably hardened seats, re-cut for the new valves, and leak-down tested. Don't ever take a motorcyle to a dealer, unless you know for sure the competence of the mechanic. Try a search for Head Rebuild and you will find a few companies you can send your head out to for a proper rebuild.

For someone who has hondas this is somewhat true. Obviously don't know anything about Husqvarnas quality of parts especially the seats, let alone the Del West TI valves that come stock in the Huskys.

When installing new valves the valve guides and seats must be checked along with the proper alignment of the contact patch on the valve. TI valves require a min of 1 mm width on the contact patch. I'm not going to go into the whole senerio on how to properly do it as their is a lot of Hi Tech tools that are needed to do the new 4 stroke heads.

If your intake valves need replacing this soon the first thing to look into is there dirt in your carb. Just take off the top of the carb if dirt in the top you are sucking dirt thru your vent lines. Reason for my making the carb vent filter. While doing this look into the float bowl probably won't see any or very much as the dirt that gets in is so fine in size it won't plug the jets just gets sucked thru them, so while riding your just lapping your valves to the piont the errode the face off the valve and tighten up then junking the valves requiring premature replacement. Later George

Looks like the bike wont be going back out again this year :p Saving the pennies :lol: thanks for all your help guys :lol: and George I have looked in the carb and its all clean (Cap off the top and float bowl off ) as I stripped it down since my last ride due to the carb popping off while riding :lol: . I think I will get all four valves replaced and send the head off to this lot to get the work done http://www.cylinderheadshop.co.uk/ and have them fit some of theses http://cylinderheadshop.co.uk/vag.html . I just know the bottom end (big end) bearing will go when its all back together :lol: it will be my luck :lol:

i dont think i would ever put the stock ti valves (undersized, questionable quality) back into an 04 husky. i would only use halls stainless valves in that bike!

. I just know the bottom end (big end) bearing will go when its all back together :p it will be my luck :lol:

Hey 'HB'

These people look the business:thumbsup:, I hope they can sort you out, let us know how you get on!

Big end? you can fix an engine when it becomes ill, but when it's in good health enjoy it!:lol:

R T

For someone who has hondas this is somewhat true. Obviously don't know anything about Husqvarnas quality of parts especially the seats, let alone the Del West TI valves that come stock in the Huskys.

C'mon now, stop it! There is nothing wrong with Husky's, or Honda's, valves and seats. It is MAITENANCE related. The most amazing, spark shooting, trumpet blaring Ti valves will fail promptly in the presence of dirt. I know it's fashionable to bash Honda's for their (nonexhistent) valve issues, but it's a bunch of garbage and a quick look in the mirror will always reveal the real culprit.

The Ti-valved GSX-R's I pay for my house by working on, NEVER fail. 1st scheduled valve "adjustment" (always just a check) is at 15000 miles! They are always spot on. They rev to 16000 RPM nowadays, 13000 for the liter bikes. They NEVER injest dirt, their valves never fail.

There is a serious positive correlation between valve life and dirt intake. Doesn't matter the brand. Doesn't matter what your passion is.

I've NEVER reshimmed my Honda's. Not once. I've re-shimmed my Huskies once, and they're holding steady. I consider both superior to a claw hammer. And WAY better looking!

I ride Honda's because they are awesome, and given to me for free. I ride Huskies because they are awesome, and I LOVE THEM!

Hey 'HB'

These people look the business:thumbsup:, I hope they can sort you out, let us know how you get on!

Big end? you can fix an engine when it becomes ill, but when it's in good health enjoy it!:lol:

R T

The cylinder head shop has been going for many years and according to them they have the same machines as the F1 Teams have, so they got to be good :lol: . I will let everyone know how I get on with them and prices just need to save the money up :lol: . That’s a very good point if the bike is in good health enjoy it but I have been having a lot of bad luck and every ride something else breaks on it :p

It is MAITENANCE related.

If only you knew my maintenance schedule :lol: I reckon I have the cleanest 04 husky out there inside and out, I never skip things and always replace things with parity much the best money can get. I do see your point on the dirt issue as valves/seats can not tolerate dirt but im not so sure this is the case on my bike I think it is where I took the bike to be fixed :lol: but i just cant belive they have streched about 0.014in. in such a short amount of hours :p

Do you run a carb vent filter? I didn't used to, but after my throttle stuck on me one day, I opened up the top of the carb to find this stuff all over the slide roller mechanism and inside of the lid:

carb11.jpg

carb10.jpg

I'm sure some of that dirt went through the engine, too. This kind of dirt inlet might have contributed to your valve issues. I run the Uptite filter, now.

carb1.jpg

Perfect dfeckel this is what I'm trying to explain and get people to be aware of. This is not only on Huskys but all new 4 strokes. I see Ktm's Honda's Yamaha's,Suz.Bergs, all of them. What is not realized is it also goes into the float bowl but is so fine it just gets pulled thru the jets and doesn't plug them up. Later George

If only you knew my maintenance schedule :lol: I reckon I have the cleanest 04 husky out there inside and out, I never skip things and always replace things with parity much the best money can get. I do see your point on the dirt issue as valves/seats can not tolerate dirt but im not so sure this is the case on my bike I think it is where I took the bike to be fixed :lol: but i just cant belive they have streched about 0.014in. in such a short amount of hours :p

I do a couple hundred heads (95%KTM) a year so I have stared at several of these.

If the valves have streached .014" I have to beleive as I think George is that someone had seats not centered with the guides and did not have the tooling to cut the seats so they tried to lap the valves in to the seats! Problem is the steel seat is much harder than the ti valve so all they did is tear up the valve trashing several hundred dollars worth of valves. I am not fond of the 04 head as a whole as its guides/stems are too thin. I have done a few 04's by converting to larger 05 componants, cost is very prohibitive, as it required, valves, guides, keepers, retainers, seals etc. I can't recall but may have needed lower spring retainer?

Tried reaming out the 04 guide to 05 diameter but that leaves you with no seals avalable so hours spent on the lathe makeing adaptors for the big seal on small retainer, I could not find a way to get that project done for under a $1,000!

I have done a few with the Halls valve (stainless steel conversion) and I suspect I would go that route on the next 04 that comes thru here. Initially I was not happy with them as they are more like the stainless valve in most KTMs in that you set them, run them and the clearence has closed up! Then set them again and it will be reasonbly stable from there. When Ti valves close up we panic as they are about to break, with stainless we change the shim and go ride. Coming to grips with that change was the biggest problem with the Halls, once over that they are fine.

Georges filter is an excellent move as dirt is certainly related to TI failures.

As for Ti's life, criticle is a proper clean enviroment, my 05 Husky (450TE, just sold) has never been reshimmed, My 02 Infinity Q45 has 80,000 miles and a 91 that I used to own is at 240,000. A 2005 KTM 250SXF head came in here a few weeks ago with 170 hours of MX use, I vacuum tested the head and told him to put it back on.

When you say yor carb fell off, I question, did it fall off? Or get blown off from a back fire? The best way to tell is if the intake port is black inside we have combustion fire getting back into the intake tract which may have blown it off.

If it where me I would look forward to getting on newer, at least 05 stuff!

I do a couple hundred heads (95%KTM) a year so I have stared at several of these.

If the valves have streached .014" I have to beleive as I think George is that someone had seats not centered with the guides and did not have the tooling to cut the seats so they tried to lap the valves in to the seats! Problem is the steel seat is much harder than the ti valve so all they did is tear up the valve trashing several hundred dollars worth of valves. I am not fond of the 04 head as a whole as its guides/stems are too thin. I have done a few 04's by converting to larger 05 componants, cost is very prohibitive, as it required, valves, guides, keepers, retainers, seals etc. I can't recall but may have needed lower spring retainer?

Tried reaming out the 04 guide to 05 diameter but that leaves you with no seals avalable so hours spent on the lathe makeing adaptors for the big seal on small retainer, I could not find a way to get that project done for under a $1,000!

I have done a few with the Halls valve (stainless steel conversion) and I suspect I would go that route on the next 04 that comes thru here. Initially I was not happy with them as they are more like the stainless valve in most KTMs in that you set them, run them and the clearence has closed up! Then set them again and it will be reasonbly stable from there. When Ti valves close up we panic as they are about to break, with stainless we change the shim and go ride. Coming to grips with that change was the biggest problem with the Halls, once over that they are fine.

Georges filter is an excellent move as dirt is certainly related to TI failures.

As for Ti's life, criticle is a proper clean enviroment, my 05 Husky (450TE, just sold) has never been reshimmed, My 02 Infinity Q45 has 80,000 miles and a 91 that I used to own is at 240,000. A 2005 KTM 250SXF head came in here a few weeks ago with 170 hours of MX use, I vacuum tested the head and told him to put it back on.

When you say yor carb fell off, I question, did it fall off? Or get blown off from a back fire? The best way to tell is if the intake port is black inside we have combustion fire getting back into the intake tract which may have blown it off.

If it where me I would look forward to getting on newer, at least 05 stuff!

Great write up :lol: everything makes perfect sense with that. I have no clue as to what valves or valve work the husky dealer did, I assumed he put Ti valves in as they were £100 a valve. I had read somewhere about using the 05 head as it was a better choice then the 04head so I will do some re search as where to get one. Im parity sure that my carb did get blown off and not fell off only due to the fact that when trying to start it last ride out I could really hear it back firing into the airbox and got a bit worried just encase the air filter went up in smoke never had that issue before either. One question is there anyway of telling what valves i have in my bike with out taking the head off? Like colours? And if there magnetic? If for instance I had stainless steel valves would the .014" stretch be as bad on stainless steels? As I know Ti valves are really meant to break rather than stretch a lot

More like the face of the valve erroding away than stretching. TI is non magnetic, stainless also but some suposeid stainless valves because of the materials used in them can have some magnetic attraction to them.

Could be that the original TI valves were used and not the updated Del West replacements. Have had absolutly no further problems with the Del West valves in the early heads. I personally like them as don't like having to up the valve spring pressure to run the heavier Stainless valves. Later George

Perfect dfeckel this is what I'm trying to explain and get people to be aware of. This is not only on Huskys but all new 4 strokes. I see Ktm's Honda's Yamaha's,Suz.Bergs, all of them. What is not realized is it also goes into the float bowl but is so fine it just gets pulled thru the jets and doesn't plug them up. Later George

Do the new fuel injection models have a vent that needs a filter also? :lol: Ken

(sorry for the hi-jack)