Sign in to follow this  

Pavement Riding Style Question

Trying to avoid work and wondering...

I just bought an 08 RMX450 for MX use. I am planning on buying a set of 17" wheels and using it for track days on a large kart track (1km lap distance) next summer. All pavement, no dirt, open track sessions with sport bikes and everything else. I will be riding in the intermediate or fast groups, depending on how fast the crowd is.

My question: Is it faster to use a knee down pavement style or foot out MX style if I am not backing it in on the corners?

Thanks,

Mark

Depends on the track layout really. The general consensus is that faster sweeping corners are faster taken knee down, and the tight stuff is faster foot out and possibly backing it in if needed. I could be wrong though, it's happened once or twice. :lol:

foot out all the way baby! really i think it depends on your riding style, i cant keep my feet on the pegs as usally theyll drag on the ground when im leaned over. youll figure it out!

Depends on the track layout really. The general consensus is that faster sweeping corners are faster taken knee down, and the tight stuff is faster foot out and possibly backing it in if needed. I could be wrong though, it's happened once or twice. :lol:

This track is all 2nd gear corners on a sport bike, pretty tight over all.

I will simply have to try both and see what feels good, I guess. Also have see what the stopwatch says about it.

Since I've never tried the MX style on pavement, how does it feel compared to flat turns on dirt? Or is it closer to having a bit of a rut to work with?

Thanks,

Mark

Since I am asking style questions, do I get up on the tank as much for pavement as on dirt or more neutral? Is the rule of thumb the tighter the corner, the better the dirt techniques work?

Hmm, can't wait until spring to try all this out!:lol::p

Thanks,

Mark

I go knee out, because I come from street riding, but it all depends on the corner. a second gear corner on a sportbike is relatively fast, so I say definitely knee out for me, and yes you want to be way up on the tank knee or foot out. Good luck and have fun...its a blast.

I go knee out, because I come from street riding, but it all depends on the corner. a second gear corner on a sportbike is relatively fast, so I say definitely knee out for me, and yes you want to be way up on the tank knee or foot out. Good luck and have fun...its a blast.

We have different standards, to me a 4th gear corner is fast on a sportbike.:lol:

Unless you mean fast by sumo standards, then I would agree. They are not big, open 2nd gear corners, though. Even a 600 feels big and heavy on this track. It should suit a sumo very well.

Mark

This track is all 2nd gear corners on a sport bike, pretty tight over all.

I will simply have to try both and see what feels good, I guess. Also have see what the stopwatch says about it.

Since I've never tried the MX style on pavement, how does it feel compared to flat turns on dirt? Or is it closer to having a bit of a rut to work with?

Thanks,

Mark

It will feel vastly different from flat turns on dirt due to the increased traction that pavement offers. You'll just have to try it and see what works best for you.

Find your own groove. All the fast supermoto guys in AMA are foot-out. But the lap record at one of our local tracks is by Roger Lee Hayden, a knee-down rider IIRC.

Foot-out is quicker and less taxing in fast transitions IMO, and knee-down is more stable and far less physically taxing in longer corners. Foot out gives you the option of planting should you slide.

People do both, and people are fast on both. Find your own groove.