Sign in to follow this  

Loose shifter?

I just noticed today that my shifter AND shaft is able to move in and out from the engine about 1/32" I see no signs of any oil leakage but I'm just wondering if this is normal or if I can expect a major problem soon?

Funny, I just noticed the same thing on my new/used DRZ.

While I was at the dealer I compared the amount of shifter play in my bike, to a brand new one on the floor (and a used one they had) and it was the same.

So as the above poster mentioned, this seems to be the norm.

Just noticed tonight that my shifter actually slides back and forth on that shaft. Tightened it a little bit, now it doesnt move on the shaft.. Shaft has a little free play though.

same with mine, it's funny i have only noticed it on sunday when i went for a 120km bush ride (20km loops) and i moved the shifter up on the splines a bit cause my new Beriks where a pain to shift with at the stock position, doing that i done the bolt up to what a thaught was tight and within 1/2 of the loop the shifter was sloppy, i learnt that that bolt has to be done up considerably tight and aswell loctited

same with mine, it's funny i have only noticed it on sunday when i went for a 120km bush ride (20km loops) and i moved the shifter up on the splines a bit cause my new Beriks where a pain to shift with at the stock position, doing that i done the bolt up to what a thaught was tight and within 1/2 of the loop the shifter was sloppy, i learnt that that bolt has to be done up considerably tight and aswell loctited

Blue locktite

Thank's for the replies! I can't believe it took me 7 years to notice it.