Sign in to follow this  

2006 KX450F Opinions Please

I need some input from all of you die hard kawi riders out there. I am looking at buying a 2006 KX450F but have never had a Kawasaki. I guess first of all, is this a good bike? Compared to the honda, suzuki, yamaha, and ktm of course. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

what you doing with it? I like the 07 and up for the 5 speed transmission

I've had mine since new and love it. Valves have never been out and been checked 3 times. Love the 4 speed. Eats up rear tires but thats o.k. Very powerful bike. Go with the thinner tires front and back for better cornering and get the pro circuit linkage arm.

I've had mine since new and love it. Valves have never been out and been checked 3 times. Love the 4 speed. Eats up rear tires but thats o.k. Very powerful bike. Go with the thinner tires front and back for better cornering and get the pro circuit linkage arm.

5 speeds the same with another gear stacked on top.. I run mine w. a 52t rear and it CHEWSSSS up rear tires but I wouldnt have it anyother way.

These bikes are sooo effing easy to ride when you got the tire spinning constantly they can do amazing things. (well offroad that is) On the track u might wana rethink that.

also i never had a problem with valves either and I REV THE SNOT out of it. (crosses fingers now though dont wana get too cocky)

I will be using it about 50% track and 50% trail! I just sold my TRX450R and I am trying to get back into mx. How does the 4 gears on the track compare to the ones with 5?

I will be using it about 50% track and 50% trail! I just sold my TRX450R and I am trying to get back into mx. How does the 4 gears on the track compare to the ones with 5?
Even before I got the Relkuse pro clutch with 13:50 (stock clutch and gearing), I could ride slow 180 hairpin ruts in 2nd with a throttle snap to wide open and no clutch usage and still haul it out of there, and revved out in 3rd it went ok for speed with 13:50. So most MX tracks around here (nothing real fast) I could ride using 2 gears no problems. Of course now with the rekluse the low speed stuff is smother and a piece of cake, and with 13:48 the speed in 3rd is ample.

If you are riding trails, and don't want to buy a relkuse pro clutch (for the low speed stuff) then no doubt a 5 speed is better.

The bike is great. The problem for you might be the history/owner(s) of the one you are looking at. We cannot help you there.

Even before I got the Relkuse pro clutch with 13:50 (stock clutch and gearing), I could ride slow 180 hairpin ruts in 2nd with a throttle snap to wide open and no clutch usage and still haul it out of there, and revved out in 3rd it went ok for speed with 13:50. So most MX tracks around here (nothing real fast) I could ride using 2 gears no problems. Of course now with the rekluse the low speed stuff is smother and a piece of cake, and with 13:48 the speed in 3rd is ample.

If you are riding trails, and don't want to buy a relkuse pro clutch (for the low speed stuff) then no doubt a 5 speed is better.

The bike is great. The problem for you might be the history/owner(s) of the one you are looking at. We cannot help you there.

I completely agree with numroe... I know he has his bike setup pretty nice with rekluse but if u are looking at doing trail riding then the 5-speed is where you get the most benefit.

You wont need more than the 4-speed for MX tracks, and u can run taller gearing there. For the tight stuff i like to step up the rear, (most but not all people do) but definately wouldnt gear it taller because first is already pretty long on the mx bikes.

The problem with stock gearing or gearing it shorter (how i like it it) with the 4-speed is that you run out of top end pretty quick. The five speed has an extra gear to move to.

You can do other things like rekluse or flywheel weights or other things to help with the low speed stuff if you gear it up taller (smaller rear or larger front sprocket). but I find the fastest way through the tight shit is a stock hit (meaning no weight on the flywheel, no tamer exhausts) and just rev it and keep it spinning. (I aid this with a big 52t rear)

I have a 06 KX450 with a rekluse pro clutch also a 9oz flywheel weight and a Ergo throttle cam #400, FMF Q2 to help with the noise and to give the bike a spark arestor ,only ride woods, LOVE IT, no trouble at all.

Thanks for the info thus far yall. I am still trying to decide between a 450 or 250. I can get the 06 KX450F for a pretty good deal but I am also looking at a 06 KTM 250 SXF for just a little cheaper. Unfortunately money is a big deciding factor!

ok if money is a factor I would definately get the 450 i think it is pretty well established that they last longer and require less maintenance than the 250. Kinda like a 125 vs 250 2 stroke.

Thanks for the info yall. I think I have decided to go GREEN with the 450. I am going to look at it tomorrow and I hope it is as nice in person as it is in the picture.

Thanks again

450 only dont even consider a 250F. I love mine. But I am no pro so I didnt need any mods. Just raised my forks in the clamps and replaced the chain and sprockets after a year and its all good.

I need some input from all of you die hard kawi riders out there. I am looking at buying a 2006 KX450F but have never had a Kawasaki. I guess first of all, is this a good bike? Compared to the honda, suzuki, yamaha, and ktm of course. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Great bike

I wouldn't trade mine for anything......well maybe an 09 kx450f

Ernie

I've had mine since 06 and I still love it. When it becomes new bike time, I will set it up for track only and buy a new KLX450 for trail riding. Also, I'll have a use for all the stock parts I pulled off of the KX450.