Desert or Sand Dunes?

Which do you guys prefer..riding the desert or riding the sand dunes? I absolutely love riding the dunes, probably over the desert, but I love going out to the desert for a day.

i have always preferred places like ocotillo to places like glamis, especially on a bike... sand gets very boring on a bike, there are no obstacles! and ocotillo even has blowsand, i know its small, but its enough sand for me

they are totally different, but they are both a total blast.

personally if i want to ride i prefer the desert. if im in the mood to party with some friends and ride then you cant beat the dunes. the dunes are great because they have more of a social vibe than the open desert as you can get trucks out there.

god i need to ride!!!!

I would take ocotillo any day of the week over glamis with the exclusion of weekends.... Ocotillo has great riding but seems to be way to crowded now days, especially if you have been spoiled in the past with hardly anybody there that didn't have an idea what they were doing or a bike they couldn't handle and too much booze to know it... I like glamis during the season but if you are on a 2 wheeler you need to know where to ride not to get bored... I usually head for smaller dunes with fewer tire tracks, that is where you will find the realistic decent jumps with out having to be a pro practically,,, fresh sand kicks butt this year I am actually planning on camping at roadrunner to hit some different less traveled territory...not to mention with the economy this year I think crowds are going to be alot less...

I don't get bored at all at the dunes..i absolutely love it...I can camp in the dunes only this season and be happy!

I prefer the desert better. The way I see it is if you ride around long enough you are bound to find dunes somewhere out there to play around in.

desert is where its at speeds are higher the distances are longer and you have everything from long whoooped out sections to rocky goat trails to dry lake beds ill go to the dunes when i just want to ride around and drink all day

GLAMIS! The desert is cool for the day but Glamis is by far the best riding.... ride all day.... drink all night. It never gets boring.

i've never been to either. but id prefer to go to the dunes. it looks amazing. the vast expanses of open, and tall sugar sand mountains. i always thought desert riding looked boring. compared to woods riding, which is what i do. no mud, water crossings, log crossings. but i guess i shouldn't knock it till i try it

I like riding the dunes.

don't find it boring at all.

especially trying to stay on the top of the sharp ridges of the long dunes around here.

We have open desert but it is all gravel and no vegetation at all so the dunes are actually more varied over here at least.

DUNES for a week

DESERT for a day

i dont like glamis cuz all the people, but gordons well and buttercup are my favorite places to ride. ocotillo if im riding for only a day

you cali boys are so god damn lucky you have those places to ride at. I just think its awesome how many people are familiar with those places out there.

Everywhere I read about people going to glamis, or ocotillo, or "the river", etc etc i dont know anything about specifics.

I would love to have to opportunity to hit any of those places. the desert looks like an awesome place to ride, but the idea of being able to load up a bunch of people in our trucks n go hit the dunes for the weekend would just be unreal. I would probably just about live out there on the weekends.

wheeling, riding, partying, camping, man I am def jealous no doubt!!

Dont get me wrong I love the places that I ride, the eastern woods and mountains are a very challenging, technical, and FUN experience, but you guys just got a whole nother element out there.

Where we ride its not open lands that anyone can ride. here its like each little town (its rural) might have a few trail systems, but really those are only hit by locals and everyone keeps them a secret.

I think thats why its so awesome you guys get crews that come from all around and theres alot of space out there (atleast I would assume so) that its not a problem how many people are out there riding, partying etc.

Is there any kind of governing body out there to harrass you? Here Im always harrased by land owners, cops, etc.

i've never been to either. but id prefer to go to the dunes. it looks amazing. the vast expanses of open, and tall sugar sand mountains. i always thought desert riding looked boring. compared to woods riding, which is what i do. no mud, water crossings, log crossings. but i guess i shouldn't knock it till i try it

Its nothing like the east at all, and just know the riding doesnt compare in dificulty or technical challenge, but I think the trade off would be worth it to get the social element, and change of scenery out of it. Seems like a whole diff state of mind out there!!

Desert all the way

2 Wheels = Desert

4 Wheels = Dunes

you cali boys are so god damn lucky you have those places to ride at. I just think its awesome how many people are familiar with those places out there.

Everywhere I read about people going to glamis, or ocotillo, or "the river", etc etc i dont know anything about specifics.

I would love to have to opportunity to hit any of those places. the desert looks like an awesome place to ride, but the idea of being able to load up a bunch of people in our trucks n go hit the dunes for the weekend would just be unreal. I would probably just about live out there on the weekends.

wheeling, riding, partying, camping, man I am def jealous no doubt!!

Dont get me wrong I love the places that I ride, the eastern woods and mountains are a very challenging, technical, and FUN experience, but you guys just got a whole nother element out there.

Where we ride its not open lands that anyone can ride. here its like each little town (its rural) might have a few trail systems, but really those are only hit by locals and everyone keeps them a secret.

I think thats why its so awesome you guys get crews that come from all around and theres alot of space out there (atleast I would assume so) that its not a problem how many people are out there riding, partying etc.

Is there any kind of governing body out there to harrass you? Here Im always harrased by land owners, cops, etc.

your in pen. not too far away from silver lake. Thats the closest your going to get to glamis for a while lol.

Im 90% sure im heading up there in may for memorial day and a week to follow.

Desert hard pack over dunes. Dunes are fun to relax with friends, definitely a more social environment. But if you really wanna ride, you go to the desert hard pack, your riding ability will not get any better putting around the dunes.

Putting around the dunes? Try following the buggies and see how much putting you do..... Just got back from Johnson Valley.... Awesome riding out there also.

Putting around the dunes? Try following the buggies and see how much putting you do..... Just got back from Johnson Valley.... Awesome riding out there also.

yes i said putting. sure you can go fast, but there's nothing really technical to test your skills.