Sign in to follow this  

08 Ktm 250 XCF-W or 09 Kaw. Kx250f?

I'm really struggling making a decision! I would like non-bias opinions please. I really really like the Ktm...but, i don't know if i can afford it :lol: The only other bike that i would consider is the Kx250f. Please Help! Also how long do you guys think the 08 250 XCF-W will be available at dealers?

You are comparing apple (green) to orange. The only thing that match is the 250cc.

KX250F is a track bike, motocross race bike, stripped to the minimum. It is not trail or road friendly as the other tread mentions between the XCF or XCF-W.

KXF = No kick stand, no electric start, no cushy suspension. 19 inch rear wheel, smaller radiators, close ratio gearbox, light flywheel and on and on.

If there is anything I learned over the years is to buy the right tool for the job. If you ride trails don't get an MX track bike, you will not like it, or you wil ad a buch of $$$ to make it friendly.

XCF if between a MX bike and a XCF-W.

Your other closest jap bike would be a CRF250-X or WR250F

The question is: What is your riding preference ? MX, trail, GP, racing?

IMHO.... getting a KX would be like using a pair of side cutter pliers to hammer in a bunch of nails.

It will get the job done , but you may not like it.

A KX on the trial/payride be miserable; stalling and kick starting it would get you angry. A KX was designed to be fired up and ridden for 30-40 minutes (or what ever long the race is) at a fast pace.

If got the $$$ go for a XCF or XCF-W. the XCF would be more home on the track if you decide to do a few jumps. IF $$$ is a concern, CRF 250 or 450X would be a nice choice, or a yamaha WR line.

Do not buy a motocross bike unless you want to race on a track, like big air, or you are very aggressive rider. Buy a trail oriented bike.

This is my opinion... after riding dirtbikes for 20 years or so.

You've goota think about how often you'll go to the track, I recently took an interest on track riding and this was one of the big reasons that I just swapped my CRF450X for a 505XC-F !... I found the 450X a bit of a lug on the track... my XC-F goes pretty good on the trails ... a bit of a compromise when you are in the rough nasty stuff (stiffer susp.), but the XC-F is the closest I could find to the 'do it all' bike ... I ride 80 % trails and rarely in the rocky stuff at that ... all of my research led me to the conclusion that the XC-F line-up is the MX bike geared and re-valved for mixed trail and track riding, ... got about 20 hours on the XC so far and I love it , ... I haven't even been to the track yet .... maybe this week-end, but I love it in the trails so far ...

she's light maneuverable and powerful, a good trail mod would be the +8ox flywheel for slower riding to reduce stalling ... If you want more info on the XC-F's , take alook at the 205/450/505SX forum since the XC-F's have the SX engine there is alot of good talk about these bikes, I found a lot of good info on this forum !

hope this helps !

Hey you guys thanks for all the great opinions! Im pretty sure im gonna go with the W because when im not on a OHV trail i will be at my house crusin on the miles and miles of dirt roads so i will probley want the wider gearing. but i do wanna try some tracks out, but nothin like "racing" I really digg e-start and the electro. dash! Anybody have any experience jumping or hill climbing a W?

My view like the above, I would not take anyone of the Jap "track bikes" into the woods. With KTM even the SXF is a good woods bike for an expert rider, the XCF is premo, the "W" version I think they detuned too much and the gaps between gears is big so better suited for a more passive rider

so deos a XC-F come with a dash and e-start? and does it have a spark arrestor? cause i need to be below 96 dbs.

My XCF has electric start and it works great(has a fairly large battery)

NO electric dash/display, but all the wiring is there.

No spark arrester and has little sound dampening, it has a straight through pipe, with perforated center core surrounded with fiberglass packing.

The good news is that several companies make end-caps with spark arrester and silent insert option.

How hard is it to add a dash? and where would you get one? What i should be asking is, is it worth it? Should i just get a W and add a big bore kit in the future? how big of a difference is the xcf to the W? I'm starting to feel like i'm rambling :lol:

My view like the above, I would not take anyone of the Jap "track bikes" into the woods. With KTM even the SXF is a good woods bike for an expert rider, the XCF is premo, the "W" version I think they detuned too much and the gaps between gears is big so better suited for a more passive rider

I really like it when all those "aggressive" riders pull over to let my passive :lol: by on my detuned W.

Shaggy, don't let that comment fool you. The xcf-w is not detuned in any respect. It's motor is identical to the xcf. It has a spark arrestor stock, better woods suspension, odo computer and the gearing is not gappy by any means. The taller 5th and 6th gears will let you roam around the roads without winding it out. I've owned 2 of them and they kick butt. I race mostly enduro's but do play on the track and it handles it just fine. Jumping and hillclimbing are not a problem.

I really like it when all those "aggressive" riders pull over to let my passive :p by on my detuned W.

Shaggy, don't let that comment fool you. The xcf-w is not detuned in any respect. It's motor is identical to the xcf. It has a spark arrestor stock, better woods suspension, odo computer and the gearing is not gappy by any means. The taller 5th and 6th gears will let you roam around the roads without winding it out. I've owned 2 of them and they kick butt. I race mostly enduro's but do play on the track and it handles it just fine. Jumping and hillclimbing are not a problem.

Yeah thats what i thought, and if i feel i want more power, i will get a HT Racing Kit...I'm so excited to get a new bike! the last bike ive had is a 1978 Suzuki TC100 :lol: I'm so stoked on the Ktm!:lol:

I really like it when all those "aggressive" riders pull over to let my passive :lol: by on my detuned W.

+1. Funny thing is, Dave's even admitted he's never ridden one.

I really need to set up my helmet cam so you guys can see how passive my bike his.

+1. Funny thing is, Dave's even admitted he's never ridden one.

I really need to set up my helmet cam so you guys can see how passive my bike his.

Yeah you do! That would be sweet!

Hee-hee... this is funny, its turning into one of those "mine is better than yours".

Here is my 2 cents on this issue. (without cheering or opposing others' opinion)

1) You don't have to own (or ride a) bike to have a well formed opinion about it, it can be based on knowledge.

2)Shaggy, you already set your mind on the W version (digital dash, quiet muffler tall gears), and it sounds like it would suite you well, go for it.

3) It is all in the eye of a beholder; no one here can tell you what will be a good bike for you...plus you already know what you gonna get.

4) There is no "passive /active rider kicking my but or the other way around". I am getting beaten by a guy on an XR400 (regularly), he is good rider, got used to his bike and would not give it up for any KTM. But it does not mean we all should get an XR.

5) Will it hill climb or jump? Define "hill"! (of course it will, in 1st gear it will go up on a wall, until you flip backward) And what are you jumping ? better yet ...how will it land the jump? How big are you? 230 pounds or 170? do you know how to jump?

It is hard to say what bike is better for any person; too many factors to take into considerations. How old are you, what physical shape are you in, how much you weigh, riding style, motivation, where you ride, power hungry or "over kill...505cc"? heck, I rarely run my 250 at full throttle (hardly use its full potential).

GO GET IT! IT IS ALL GOOD!

Hee-hee... this is funny, its turning into one of those "mine is better than yours".

Here is my 2 cents on this issue. (without cheering or opposing others' opinion)

1) You don't have to own (or ride a) bike to have a well formed opinion about it, it can be based on knowledge.

2)Shaggy, you already set your mind on the W version (digital dash, quiet muffler tall gears), and it sounds like it would suite you well, go for it.

3) It is all in the eye of a beholder; no one here can tell you what will be a good bike for you...plus you already know what you gonna get.

4) There is no "passive /active rider kicking my but or the other way around". I am getting beaten by a guy on an XR400 (regularly), he is good rider, got used to his bike and would not give it up for any KTM. But it does not mean we all should get an XR.

5) Will it hill climb or jump? Define "hill"! (of course it will, in 1st gear it will go up on a wall, until you flip backward) And what are you jumping ? better yet ...how will it land the jump? How big are you? 230 pounds or 170? do you know how to jump?

It is hard to say what bike is better for any person; too many factors to take into considerations. How old are you, what physical shape are you in, how much you weigh, riding style, motivation, where you ride, power hungry or "over kill...505cc"? heck, I rarely run my 250 at full throttle (hardly use its full potential).

GO GET IT! IT IS ALL GOOD!

i'll be 18 in march, i weighed myself last night and im 139...so yeah im pretty light, but that doesn't mean im not not in shape, i lift weights and in sports. And ive been jumping everything and anything since i can remember...im not scared of anything really...im a pretty agressive rider, but the ktm will be plenty of power. The terrain that i will be riding 80% of the time is hard packed/sandy, mostly grass covered ground. I live MN. so not much to ride...we have 100+ acres of woods so that is another reason for the Ktm. I can't wait until i can get that Ktm all muddy!

Holly smokes... 139 pounds , you better crank up that rebound dampener screw.

Just kiddin'

Holly smokes... 139 pounds , you better crank up that rebound dampener screw.

Just kiddin'

i'm goin to panic when it comes to setting up the suspension, cause i have no idea what i am doin when it comes to that, because of the crap bike i had, had dual coil-over springs fastened to the fender and swing-arm. here is a pic of it...l_eb36fa843c6dc41818f4f97552fa5e19.jpg

Hey that is COOL.. some of us old timers appreciate those bikes.

Oh i loved that bike, but the guy i got it from screwed up the carb. And could never figure it out. Now it has no spark (think its the coil), its just sittin in the back of the shop with my 74' Yamaha 125 Enduro. I would give anything to restore them, but its hard to find parts.