Jetting the XR650L

I'm trying to get the jetting perfected on my 2001 XRL. After I bought it about 7 months ago, it's always had a low end bog. Basically like the first 1/4 of the trottle i'd get the hesitation, but then it'd kick in about 1 second later and rip. If i was smooth and rolled the throttle i didn't notice it as much. So anyways reading on this site and other places, i discovered Dave's mods. I just completed that procedure a couple days ago. At the same time I picked up a couple jets. I was assuming it was running a bit lean. Anyways, now i'm running a 60/160 setup. What I pulled out was a 55/158. The snorkel and canister have been removed, and I also have a White Bros. E series exhaust on there. I took off 6 plates (out of 12) on the pipe, earlier to help richen it up. My question is how do you know if it's right ? My elevation is about 700 ft. The throttle has less hesitation now, but the exhaust smells a little like gas. Am I now running to rich ? Should I put the other 6 plates back on ? Thanks for any help. I'm kind of a newbie at this.

I'm trying to get the jetting perfected on my 2001 XRL. After I bought it about 7 months ago, it's always had a low end bog. Basically like the first 1/4 of the trottle i'd get the hesitation, but then it'd kick in about 1 second later and rip. If i was smooth and rolled the throttle i didn't notice it as much. So anyways reading on this site and other places, i discovered Dave's mods. I just completed that procedure a couple days ago. At the same time I picked up a couple jets. I was assuming it was running a bit lean. Anyways, now i'm running a 60/160 setup. What I pulled out was a 55/158. The snorkel and canister have been removed, and I also have a White Bros. E series exhaust on there. I took off 6 plates (out of 12) on the pipe, earlier to help richen it up. My question is how do you know if it's right ? My elevation is about 700 ft. The throttle has less hesitation now, but the exhaust smells a little like gas. Am I now running to rich ? Should I put the other 6 plates back on ? Thanks for any help. I'm kind of a newbie at this.

Try putting the plates back in, but you may still end up smelling fuel.

Then go back to 58 pilot and set your fuel screw according to Eddie Sisneros's directions in the jetting forum. "How to confirm your pilot jet setting".

Yeah, i was contemplating putting a 58 or 60 pilot in there. I figured I just did the Dave mods, it's uncorked, and I have that White bro's pipe on there. The jet in there before was a 55, and I thought 58 might not be enough to richen it. I'll try putting the other 6 plates back in. It just seems it takes a little longer to start than before, and from choke to no choke it's a bit more touchy as far as stalling the engine. Also any advice on the idle screw ? like how many turns out ? I had to turn it up a little to keep the bike from stalling. I'll also check the fuel screw. I think it might be about 3 turns out. (which was the way it was set before i did the mods). Thanks guys.

Yeah, i was contemplating putting a 58 or 60 pilot in there. I figured I just did the Dave mods, it's uncorked, and I have that White bro's pipe on there. The jet in there before was a 55, and I thought 58 might not be enough to richen it. I'll try putting the other 6 plates back in. It just seems it takes a little longer to start than before, and from choke to no choke it's a bit more touchy as far as stalling the engine. Also any advice on the idle screw ? like how many turns out ? I had to turn it up a little to keep the bike from stalling. I'll also check the fuel screw. I think it might be about 3 turns out. (which was the way it was set before i did the mods). Thanks guys.

I personally think you are too rich on the pilot circuit. I suggest a 58 pilot, the extra 6 disc's and read this.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327405

Did your bike ever pop it was new? If it did that's because the stock slow jet was to lean. Now that you have given the bike more air and less back pressure, you would think it needs more gas all the time and the same ratio of more gas all the way through from no throttle to full throttle right? wrong. Try putting the stock slow jet back in and see what that does. (wheelies)

Did your bike ever pop it was new? If it did that's because the stock slow jet was to lean. Now that you have given the bike more air and less back pressure, you would think it needs more gas all the time and the same ratio of more gas all the way through from no throttle to full throttle right? wrong. Try putting the stock slow jet back in and see what that does. (wheelies)

Stock would be way to lean and just bring even more popping on decel due to the E series pipe.

Just need some work on the pilot fuel screw, and probably a 58 jet.

Thanks guys. I will try those things out this weekend and the tips from Eddie Sisneros. I never had the bike stock, so i'm not sure how it ran then. But when i bought it, it had the jets 55/158 and i noticed a bog at up to 1/4 throttle, or anytime i whacked it, it wouldn't respond until 1 second later. I took out 6 plates from the exhaust, and it did start easier but the bog was still there. So I assumed if i went to a 58 pilot at that time, it would help. But then i did the Dave's Mods so that would let more air in. So i figured maybe a 60 pilot jet. Anyways shimming the needle does richen it at idle, so maybe a 58 would have been perfect. Also with the fuel screw, 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 is the general consensus ? I have it at about 3 right now. If it turned it in, to about 2 out, would that mimic having a smaller pilot jet ? Thanks for everything, i'm sure i'll figure it out this weekend.?