Sign in to follow this  

49mm Fork Tubes - Question about Clamps?

Hello,

If I were to buy a set of A Kit Showa forks, meaning the 49mm ones, will my stock triple clamps work AS LONG AS I have them bored to the correct size by a machine shop. In other words, will pretty much any set of triple clamps work as long as I have them machined? Thanks!

i had RG3 make me 49mm ones so i could have 47mm for my other forks, but that is a good question and now i am curious

i am pretty sure they could be bored but would they be strong enough??

Heath at RG3 took care of me, give him a call real cool guy. (714) 630-0786

what bike are you puttin them on??

Hello,

If I were to buy a set of A Kit Showa forks, meaning the 49mm ones, will my stock triple clamps work AS LONG AS I have them bored to the correct size by a machine shop. In other words, will pretty much any set of triple clamps work as long as I have them machined? Thanks!

yes you can have the clamps bored out, strength will be fine.

on a 09 i think the bar mount posts are closer to the forks, you might run into a problem but not 100 percent sure.

Hello,

Yes you can. In fact that is excatly what I did for my Showa "A" kit forks. I used the stock upper (they fit the "A" kit, that is the ones for Showa 47mm) and had RG3 bore out the bottom.

Hello,

Applied Racing makes A-Kit clamps for 250 & 450 CRFs from a clean sheet of paper. If you can bore out a clamp to fit a larger fork diameter - the original clamp was not designed correctly.

Plus they are 5/8 lbs lighter than stock and they come with 100% warranty that even includes crash damage. If you are serious enough to go large w/A Kit suspension then finish it off right and bolt them up to a set of Applied Racing clamps.:lol:

High-end forks and you want to cheap out on the clamps,prob the most important part on the whole bike. Break down and buy a set that was designed for that size fork,after all you're flyin thru the air at 30+mph and are landing with some pretty serious G's.

High-end forks and you want to cheap out on the clamps,prob the most important part on the whole bike. Break down and buy a set that was designed for that size fork,after all you're flyin thru the air at 30+mph and are landing with some pretty serious G's.

I like this guy!:lol::p

you could get applied clamps but then your bars will be 7 mm forward, because they didnt know honda moved the bar mounts 3 mm for 08. With their bar mounts now your only 4 mm forward.

you could get applied clamps but then your bars will be 7 mm forward, because they didnt know honda moved the bar mounts 3 mm for 08. With their bar mounts now your only 4 mm forward.

Applied Honda clamps have always been 3mm more forward than stock. Honda finally caught up!:lol::p

sorry i wanted to say that honda moved them back 3 mm for 08, they even moved them again for 09. Its not a huge deal as long as your over 6 ft tall to have your bars that far forward.

I'll have to look for them. But I'm sitting on a set of RG3 49mm Complete set of clamps with stem. What year is your bike? Maybe we can work a deal.

What the heck are you talking about? Team Suzuki and others in the past have used STOCK triple clamps for their Showa "A" kit forks. The team simply bored out the lowers to accept the SLIGHTLY larger outer tube diameter. And i mean SLIGHT, like a 1mm or so. The 49mm size is for the lower portion of the fork.

And do you think there are really "a set designed for that size fork"? Applied "A" kit clamps are just their normal 47mm showa clamps BORED OUT.:lol:

I've seen enough bad machine work in my day that my biggest concern would be the machinist getting the bore dead nuts centered. If he doesn't, bad things can happen. I'd be a lot more confident with a new set of 49mm Applied clamps.

So I have a question and just got off the phone with Applied Racing and they said they are only going to be offering 22 or 24 mm offsets. ( Stock is 20mm ) for the 09 CRF450's. They will be available in the next few days BTW

I really haven't ridden mine at really high speed and haven't seen any head shake on the the bike. Considering that I have only ridding single track and a tight moto track.

Do you guy see a lot of head shake ?

I will be running GPR dampener as well.

Dave

Im pretty sure applied will offer 20mm clamps for the 09 450 since its the stock offset. Who knows id like to see what factory honda is running with the A kit showa setup. No factory honda pics or kawi pics anywhere yet they must still be setting up the bikes.

Im pretty sure applied will offer 20mm clamps for the 09 450 since its the stock offset. Who knows id like to see what factory honda is running with the A kit showa setup. No factory honda pics or kawi pics anywhere yet they must still be setting up the bikes.

Factory Honda doesn't use Showa "A" kit suspension. Factory Honda uses Factory Showa suspension. The "A" kit is for use in the 250 class competition, where full on Factory suspension is not allowed (per the AMA rules).

Yes there are pictures of the 2009 Team Honda CRF450R. The bikes were debuted at the US Open in Vegas.

Look they are pretty much the same. They just dont allow you to spend over a certain amount in the 250F class. Suzuki runs some crazy 51mm stuff that only few can get their hands on. But thats why pro circuit sells A kit for 7500 bucks so joe schmo can run it as well. Factory honda uses 49mm if Im not mistaken, diff coatings and internal parts Im sure. When I say A kit, I mean just mean good stuff, the bigger tubes.

Look they are pretty much the same. They just dont allow you to spend over a certain amount in the 250F class. Suzuki runs some crazy 51mm stuff that only few can get their hands on. But thats why pro circuit sells A kit for 7500 bucks so joe schmo can run it as well. Factory honda uses 49mm if Im not mistaken, diff coatings and internal parts Im sure. When I say A kit, I mean just mean good stuff, the bigger tubes.

Look they are NOT pretty much the same. And your post doesn't make any sense.

the 250 class has rule the forks cannot exceed $4,500 and the shock $1,750. A kit showa stuff costs more than that brand new. maybe the PC A kit would be under this price but not A kit showa stuff

you are def right about the Factory 450's not using A kit stuff though, i wish i could get those forks lol

Factory Honda doesn't use Showa "A" kit suspension. Factory Honda uses Factory Showa suspension. The "A" kit is for use in the 250 class competition, where full on Factory suspension is not allowed (per the AMA rules).

Yes there are pictures of the 2009 Team Honda CRF450R. The bikes were debuted at the US Open in Vegas.