Sign in to follow this  

G450X vs. other exotics

Has anyone here had some testing time with the G450X as a dual sport bike? I have been looking into the Husaberg FE550, Husqvarna TE510, Aprilia RXV4.5 ,and KTM 530EXC-R as my next possible bike for dual sport ridding.

I have my EC250 for tight woods days but i need a reliable bike with very little problems. Dont like the way KTMs handle so that a last resort, and the Husaberg i am un-sure of but the easy adjusting valves are nice. The TE510 has a ton of great reveiws and seems like the best bike next to the KTM. Only downfall is none of them have warrenty (in Canada as far as i know) except the BMW. The Aprilia has a shakey reliability history but that power would be cool. So lets hear it.

Sheesh, you have a GasGas and left out one of your best choices, the GG 450/515. The engine's reliability has proven itself, power is as plentiful as anything and smoother than most, suspension is top quality, handling is great and steering is hard to beat. Add one more to your list of choices.

I've got 550 miles on a G450X in primarily dual sport conditions, some of it competition RallyMoto (very fast but legal dual sporting on public roads). The bike is super stable at speed and loves to flat track while giving the rider extra time and compliancy to react. This is partly due to the offset of the triples (25degrees I believe as opposed to 20/21 of most other competition enduros) and the 30mm longer rear swing arm over any other bike in the class. I am still sorting out the suspension, but it's yet to give me a head shake or bad twitch that it didn't just totally recover from on it's own practically with little input from me. Power delivery is great, fuel injection superb, engine is smooth and it loves to be short shifted like the bigger twins. I thought the 5 speed was going to be an issue for me as I rarely do the posted speed limits, but the 5 speed really hasn't been an issue and it will stay neck and neck with a HSQ TE450 w/power up kit (and 6 speed) and 40lb lighter rider until about 80ish where the TE has a slight advantage from 80-90mph before it runs out of gearing on pavement. On the gravel/dirt the G450X gets substantially better hook up and even out dragged a HSQ TE510 w/PU kit and fresher tire on multiple occassions. The G450X definitely seems to get traction much better as a result of it's engineering. Range seems to be good enough, I've done some hot paced riding for over 60 miles and not seen the reserve light, but reserve is small and once the light comes on it's time for refueling in the immediate future. The warranty is hands down the best in the USA and in CAN from what I hear. Servicing the bike is a breeze, as easy as the HSQ in terms of valve adjustment and oil changes.

Thanks from both of you. I am not sure the Gasgas will be street legal for me here. But if it is is going to be a FSR515 in the sixdays.

Thats some good news on the BMW side of things as well. What is crusing at 55MPH like?

Thanks from both of you. I am not sure the Gasgas will be street legal for me here. But if it is is going to be a FSR515 in the sixdays.

Thats some good news on the BMW side of things as well. What is crusing at 55MPH like?

Very comfy IMHO, 65/68 is hot spot though for me. I've found it bogs too much in 5th at anything under 50mph and at 55 it's just coming out of the bog and into the sweet RPM range.

The Husky te510 feels and rides really nice, but my friend is in the process of rebuilding the motor on his. It blew up after a little over a thousand on road miles. I don't believe that his experience is the norm as far as husky reliability is concerned. The te450 has a close ratio trans, so the top speed is a little lower than the wide ratio on the 510.

From what i've read the bmw warranty is crap, read the fine print.

were did you find it?

I have heard that something like 10 seconds or more of indicated rev limiter time and they will void the warrenty.

BMWAtlanta, can you clairify please?