Sign in to follow this  

What would be faster in the desert?XR650R or CRF450R/X

I want to get a new desert bike next season.I got a while to go but i want to start planning now.

Bike will be used for all types of desert riding and some D38 racing as well.

Right now i ride a 2000 CR250R and a 2008 XR650L.

What would handle the large whoop-de-doos better and be the fastest?

XR650R or CRF450R or X.

I think you should summon the all mighty BEE DUB BEE SIX THREE (a.k.a. BWB63) I think he can lead you down the path of enlightenment. And make your ride smooth and powerful along the way.:lol:

Dont know him,could you summon him for me?:p

CRFX is most likely the bike for me.Just lookin for a outside opinion.

Bruce...BRUCE!!! I don't think he can hear me. Shoot him a PM or just sit tight and wait for him to find the thread.

Here's his site. http://borynack.com/XR650R/ Check it.:lol:

Right on MartinFan30.

I guess i need to test ride some bikes before i make a desision.I have friends with 450r's and 450x's but do not know a soul with a 650R.

I know what a heavy bike feels like(650L).I know what a lighter bike feels like(450R).I guess im just wondering how the 650R motor compares to the 450.

Right on MartinFan30.

I guess i need to test ride some bikes before i make a desision.I have friends with 450r's and 450x's but do not know a soul with a 650R.

I know what a heavy bike feels like(650L).I know what a lighter bike feels like(450R).I guess im just wondering how the 650R motor compares to the 450.

Well, you're in the right place to meet someone that is willing to let you throw a leg over their 650R. Good for you, most seem to be out your way.

Right on MartinFan30.

The 650R is lighter than the L. The 650R engine is rock solid reliable and lasts a long time when maintained.

The 450's are very high strung and while make great power for the displacement, I wouldn't want one just for the increased maintenance and very likely less engine life because of the high strung effect.

Let me whack the beehive with a stick..... if you want to hit whoops and single track with some high speed running with reasonable reliability get the 450. If you want a fifth gear wide open for miles bike with rock solid reliability get the 650R.

where in Ca are you you can ride mine if you feel the need....

but +1 to what agent2 has to say

the biggest difference between the 450 R and X is that the X has a wide ratio tranny for trails and such and the R is a close ratio for MX

other than the transmission gearing being different the the engines are the exact same except for the heads the X has a more toned down head for more relability. look up and compare the specs.

well 1x team honda will be running the 450X in baja this year in november lets wait and see how he does on it and if the engine lasts or not because the X is alot more nimble and lighter just gotta wait and see if the engine is going to hand grenade itself ro not

There is actually a much greater difference in the X and the R than most believe. Not only are the heads different, so are the cylinders, cranks, etc...

Team Honda is for all intents and purposes running a hybrid 450X/R down in Mexico. There is no e-start on the factory 450X; that bike is a kick only machine and has no battery/DC electrical system. The X has the reliability in the bag for a race like the Baja 1000, but it still is not close to the longevity of a 650R, even a modded 650R.

I've raced both, and it is as Agent2 describes it. The X is much easier to ride since it tips the scales with lower tonnage. I say tonnage because the X is still a long ways from the R in the weight department. Power wise it depends what you really like, but if just comparing the motors the X can't hold a candle to the 650R.

If you are more into the wide open spaces and doing 70+ mph over the cross grain in Johnson Valley, then the 650R is for you. If you just want to ride singletrack, be able to make line changes in whoops, and aren't going to see much for sustained high speeds, the X is it.

If you weigh over 260lbs and/or are over 6'4" tall, the balance of power in the discussion tips heavily in favor of the 650R. If you are lighter and shorter, the ease of riding the X will trump the 650R almost everywhere. I am a bigger guy, and I just don't like the 450X in a "stock" form (airbox opened up, pipe, pink wire, stock cam). With an R cam in it, it really wakes up, but then the reliability is headed to an area I am not happy with. So I happily keep throwing money at my 650R instead of "upgrading" as Honda would like me to believe to a 450X.

if you want to hit whoops and single track with some high speed running with reasonable reliability get the 450. If you want a fifth gear wide open for miles bike with rock solid reliability get the 650R.
Coudn't agree more.

I'm a little feller who rides almost exclusively in Baja and my favorite bike is a 650R, but there are times I prefer being on a 450x.

1x team honda will be running the 450X in baja this year in november lets wait and see how he does on it and if the engine lasts or not.
Honda/JCR teams A, B, anc C will all be on 450x's as will almost all other teams competing for the OverAll (except TT'er Cracker1 who has a stellar team on a KLX450) at this years Baja 1000.

The 450x's have proven to be reliable so far. They've been top 2 overall in the past couple Baja 1000's as well as many more in the top 10 oa. And this B1k is short (~630mi) compared to the past couple B1k's of ~1100-1200 mi. so I'm sure reliability will not be any issue at all.

I have been watching this thread but, figured that PorterzCustomz would chime in and give the much needed facts here!:lol::p:lol: Ok, that was bad of me......and I am truely sorry:lol: ....If this post last very long I would be suprized....

The Team #1 CRF450X motor is not anywhere near stock....cam, bore, Valves, stroke, flywheel and more are changed to be better then anything I can biuld. Even the case bearings and case are stronger. They don't need the Ti valve problems in that kind of race.....this argument should really get going........:lol:

But, it is true....new CRF450X bike for each Baja race, the days of using the same XR650R for years is over for team Honda.

I stayed out of this because desert racing is not the flat open desert the people outside of California, Utha, Nevada, Arizona think it is. Yes, in the wide open desert or the more dirt road type race of the Baja 1000 the XR650R will smoke the CRF450X in any form but, in the tight rocks, twisting sand washes the stock CRF450X would give the XR650R a shake down. It's the long open desert races where the XR650R shines. It will require way less energy. The place the XR650R still has it's spot is for the racer that can't afford a new bike every six month or at least every year. It has 33% more torque then the CRF and a much lower RPM range to get the same horsepower. It is a fast moving train not a sprint car. It is way more stable at very high speeds and does very well even through the whoops if setup right. I lean more twards the Husky 510 at this point but, it has not done well and that maybe dew to the suport or the riders that have raced it in Baja. The same weight as a CRF450R (that is right "R") with more torque and power....but, the back tire is roached way to fast and it is not very stable at high speeds. I do not have the notion to get involved at this time in my life.....God has been real good to me with three Boyz that have stayed out of trouble, got straight A's for the last few years, Wife adores me......the money and time over the last two years to get back into the race thing while getting my BSEE degree would not have been wise. To bad the XR650R is sliding to the back burner.........I still have more guys asking to have their suspension done for the XR650R's then I can do.....

I have been watching this thread but, figured that PorterzCustomz would chime in and give the much needed facts here!:lol: :lol: :lol: Ok, that was bad of me......and I am truely sorry:lol: ....If this post last very long I would be suprized....

...wutta bout the L ?!? :lol:

HAHAHAhahaaaa... :lol:

OT Bruce, musta been nice to get ur EE after u had a chance to "mature"...to this day i still have nightmares about missing class, flunking out and the general haze i lived in during the late 70's early 80's of my college daze...:lol: ...and now i own and operate a restaurant :p

:lol:

Nice thing about the "L" is the swivel coffee cup holder:thumbsup: It can almost keep up with the XR400R out in the desert:ride: and sorry to say that is true till you get the those that have tricked their "L's" out

im still kind of dumbfounded that they are going to take a 7 time proven bike and toss it to the wayside to run a 450 true the 1k is short this year.

i would think that team honda would field atleast 1 of the mighty XRR just to gaurantee the over all win.. talk about reliability your saying they have to bore and stroke this 450.. then make evrything else around it stronger... put normal steel valves back in. yea the 450's def handle better if your a smaller person like myself 5'8" 160lb but i would never trade my 650r for a 450RorX

if i do anything i will be putting a 5hundy motor into my cr250r frame

im still kind of dumbfounded that they are going to take a 7 time proven bike and toss it to the wayside to run a 450 true the 1k is short this year.

i would think that team honda would field atleast 1 of the mighty XRR just to gaurantee the over all win.. talk about reliability your saying they have to bore and stroke this 450.. then make evrything else around it stronger... put normal steel valves back in. yea the 450's def handle better if your a smaller person like myself 5'8" 160lb but i would never trade my 650r for a 450RorX

if i do anything i will be putting a 5hundy motor into my cr250r frame

The 450 is proven. I am almost sure it has won the last 1000 and the last 2 500s. With that said, I agree with you - why did they discontinue the 650 and replace it with 450X, bad decision. They should keep low sales big bore bikes (CR500 and XR650R) available for a special order basis. That way we can still get a new one every few years.

The 450X has won the last three 1000's.

Team Honda retired the 650R from the factory team as soon as the 450X came out in 2005.

It seems like only yesterday, but in reality the 650R had five good years of Baja racing (for the factory team) and then it was sent to enjoy it's remaining years in retirement.

I am sure that there is still more than one "privateer" team that will use the 650R in Mexico this year for the 1000.