Sign in to follow this  

92 XR600 forks work on 85 XR600?

They will swap in, but I the 92 axle is larger in diameter than the older XR. The 92 uses a 17mm axle and I think that the 85 is 15mm. I'm guessing that the threads and clamp are different, but I don't really know for sure. The brake caliper mount may also be different, but I don't know for sure on that.

That said the cartridge forks work a lot better than your existing damper rod forks. With no high speed circuit, hitting a square edge at speed hurts with damper rod forks.

What all will I need to do to get the axle to work? Can the newer style bearings be used on the frontend to fit the 17mm axle? I've got the forks coming, so I'll try to get them swapped. Thanks

I have used newer bearings in older wheels with success. Compare OD's and ID's of respective wheels and if doable, hunt down a newer speedo drive and center and side bearing spacers. I posted what I did on another post on the site. look under XL600 suspension upgrades. There is good info there about many things pertaining to you quest.

What all will I need to do to get the axle to work? Can the newer style bearings be used on the frontend to fit the 17mm axle? I've got the forks coming, so I'll try to get them swapped. Thanks[/QUO

About two weeks ago i put 94 forks on my 88 XR and it was real easy. The new bearings have the same OD so they fit into the stock hub. I ordered the axle, center spacer, and outer spacer from Honda and if you are looking to get rid of the speedo drive Xr's only makes a pretty slick replacement spacer that fits pretty darn good. i put all this together and rebuilt the forks in 2 hours so you should be riding in no time Good Luck!

Well, it would have been nice to have the cartridge forks, but I guess I'll have to find another set. The loser I bought them from off ebay never shipped them. Hell, he never even responded to my multiple emails. Hopefully Paypal will get my money back, but I doubt it. First time I've ever gotten shafted on ebay. Thanks for your replies.

That sucks. Ebay can be a gamble alright but there are still more legit people than crooks. Keep looking, forks pop up all the time. The winter season seems to make prices more affordable too.

Paypal has to be hooked to a bank account and/or credit card so they should be able to reverse the funds with no problem unless the scammer closed all account and ran. Keep us posted of progress.

Good luck

They will swap in, but I the 92 axle is larger in diameter than the older XR. The 92 uses a 17mm axle and I think that the 85 is 15mm. I'm guessing that the threads and clamp are different, but I don't really know for sure. The brake caliper mount may also be different, but I don't know for sure on that.

That said the cartridge forks work a lot better than your existing damper rod forks. With no high speed circuit, hitting a square edge at speed hurts with damper rod forks.

Pretty sure that the 85 is 17mm.

If the parts fiches are right, then both '85 and '92 XR600s use 6202 front wheel bearings which have a 15mm I.D. and the switch to 17mm occurred in '93 with a 6003 bearing. :banana: