Sign in to follow this  

tree trunk calves need boots

I am a female rider from Montana who has tree trunk calves. With my knee pads on I have about a 21 inch diameter calf. Is there any boots you know of with large calf diameters other than Sidi? I have tried Alpinestars (not the Stellas), Fox, Gaerne and AXOs. Thanks, Julie

Have you tried the new girls Fox Comp 5 boot? I had surgery on both my lower legs, so I had trouble wearing boots. I just checked out the Comp 5 and they are much wider around the calf. I know some people on here don't like them because they are actually made for 'beginner riders' and have a little less support, but anything is better than nothing. The guy at the cycle store suggested Alpinestar, I forget the model, but they only come in mens sizes so they were too big. Happy shopping, good luck.

I am a male rider, but I have large calves also. I found the Alpinestars fit me -- but of course they are a men's sized boot. Have you thought about wearing a man's boot?

Sidi Crossfires are the best I can find. I've tried on lots and lots of different brands--Gaerne, Axo, No Fear, Fox, Scott, etc.

The only other thing that fit OK were my old Alpinestar Tech 6's, with a longer 3rd (second from the top) strap.

Thanks for the input. I have always worn men's boots. Maybe I look into the ladies. I have had an ankle dislocation but I don't have any swelling issues related to that. Anyone else with ideas. Thanks again.

I posted this in another thread but it applies here too. I tried every style they had in mens/womens/kids. As you can see from the pics the Fox are significantly wider around the calf.

2008_Fox_Racing_Womens_Comp_5_Boot_.jpg

632925298354024912TK6stellaSV.jpg

Best thing to do is try as many as possible, what works for 1 might not for the next. Just wanted to add my opinion as I have to sacrifice some protection for fit due to surgery/injury, but a bad fit offers less protection also, and no boots (like I've ridden for the past 2 years) is even worse.