Sign in to follow this  

CRF150 chain has no master link?

I am putting a new chain on an 07 crf150f because i hear the stock robs a lot of hp. I don't understand how this is possible, but i can't find a master link on the chain. I have studied both sides of the chain but can't find the master link. So does this mean that I have to take the swing arm off in order to remove the chain? cutting the chain is not an option, i want to keep it.

nope, no master link. If cutting is out of the question, I guess you could get a chain breaker and press one of the pins out then you would be able to press it back in later on.

a stock 150/230 does NOT have a masterlink.

it is a sealed o-ring chain

the only way to remove it is with a chain breaker ($20 and will serve alot of use)

or an angle grinder to grind through one of the side plates..

good luck

it has a master link...are you sure youve looked? do you know what your looking for? not to insult you or anything...

SiliconMasterLink.jpg

lol ........thats not the oem chain that came on that bike.....thats a high performance gold chain.................better......but not original.......the sealed oem o-ring chain does not have a master link like yours....jls

Their is nothing wrong with the stock chain, use it until it is worn out.

It is easy to maintain and will last far longer than a non O ring chain.

Quit looking to the chain for more power.

Clean your air filter and change your oil regularly and you will be better off.

I am in agreement with 4strokeriderTT. Leave the chain alone. It will last a very long time and much longer than any replacement chain that claims to add power.

Good luck and ride safely

I am in agreement with 4strokeriderTT. Leave the chain alone. It will last a very long time and much longer than any replacement chain that claims to add power.

:lol:

mine finally wore but the spockets seem to wear faster than the oem chain.....and i went with an h/d gold non oring chain and alum sprocket just to try it. but, i wouldn't change the oem chain out for another thinking that it will make much of a difference. if the oem chain is still in good shape, enjoy it while it lasts ... it comes with a pretty good chain and it does last a long time.......ill prob go back to it next time around as they last 2-3 times longer than the non o-ring 520 and i didnt notice much of a difference in performance if any.

I just took off the swing arm, it is actually really easy. All you have to do is take off two bolts connecting the rear shock and the main bolt holding the swing arm on, then the swing arm slides right off. Probably faster than trying to break the chain, especially if you dont have the neccessary tools.

I just took off the swing arm, it is actually really easy. All you have to do is take off two bolts connecting the rear shock and the main bolt holding the swing arm on, then the swing arm slides right off. Probably faster than trying to break the chain, especially if you dont have the neccessary tools.

but if you do have the tools then its a 5 sec job.

btw oem pricing on an OEM chain is ~$130..

while you have the swingarm off...it's a good time to clean the pivot points and grease as neccasary...Believe it or not, the bike will feel tighter and you'll find yourself doing it to all the major pivot/spinning areas on your bike.