1998 YZ 400f Starting Sequence

I am having trouble starting my 1998 yz 400f both cold and hot. Since I am new to this bike, I have checked into and heard that there may be a strict starting sequence. If so, does anyone know what that might be. If this has already been posted I apologize, but did not find it through the search engine. Thanks!Q

and.... once you learn it, the are pretty easy, atleast mine was. I read on here somewhere, to learn the starting drill and practice it till you get it right. And that is easier to do on your own time frame, not when all your buddies have already left you at the truck. does yours still have a manual decomp lever??

My 400 still had the manual decomp when i bought it, and the main thing on it along with the starting ritual, was to keep your hand off the throttle. I started mine with my hand on the master cyl to keep away from any twist.

I flooded mine when i first got it home and kicked on it for hours.....

Once i got the drill down, and a new plug in it, 3 to 4 max kicks cold, 1 or 2 once warmed up.

My 400 is easier to start than my 250f was :dunno:

But the biggest thing, is if you are coming from a two smoke, to a thumper you have to change your kick style. The two smokes take a fast aggressive kick. The thumpers take more of a smooth kick, slightly slower kick.

On my 400, if it is cold I pull out the cold choke, twist the throttle ONCE and ONLY ONCE, press the kick starter till I hit resistance, pull the decomp lever and push the kick starter just past TDC (the resistance) and kick smoothly. It usually will start on the first kick.

When warm, it will usually start the same way, but with NO choke (not cold or hot) and NO throttle pump.

When it is exceptionally hot, If it kick it once as above (when warm) and it doesnt start, I pull the hot start out and do the kick procedure NO THROTTLE twist, and it starts then.

So at worst, I make two kicks at any given time. If I have to kick twice, It usually is I rushed it.