CRF 230L options and enhancements

I dont know where to find past treads but ive took my endcap off my exhaut and took out the small down pipe and bored out the cap,drilled 1 inch hole in my airbox. Now this what im needing to find out. Wtih these modifcations what size jets should i install. Im about 1600 ft altitude. Any help would be apreciated!

On the home page ther is a "search forums" on the right side. Just type in some key words or phrases,also there is an advanced search,just click on the icon and go from there. MERRY CHRISTMAS to YOU and YOURS

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't laugh, but I just ordered one of those gas tank vents for an old RM125. You know, the kind that accept a short vent tube and clip to the crossbar. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Indeed, the old RM tank vent is perfect on both counts - the clip is the right diameter for the crossbar, and the vent is the right diameter for the hose. The place to cut the hose is right at the beginnnig of the first reinforcing sleeve.

Now it has a cool retro-motocrosser look. Plus, with the stupid charcoal can gone, I should be able to fill the tank all the way up. That will probably add 10 miles to the bike's range. :busted:

Also note the pipe insulation behind the number plate to reduce that annoying buzz.

2ii7reg.jpg

stupid charcoal can gone? youbetterbelieveit! :busted:

you mean that thing on the left side of the motor? yes

just what did you do to remove it?

1) I clipped the tank vent as shown (by the way, the suzuki tank vent is less than $3 at bikebandit)

2) took out the rest of that line that went to the can,

3) disconnected and blocked the line from the can to the purge control valve which is just behind the can

4) pulled the can's vent and drain lines from where they were stuck. Those are the two lines out the front that barely go anywhere.

5) unscrewed the two bolts that hold the can bracket, removed the can and bracket, and torqued the bolts back up.

did you have to plug anything up? For now, I plugged the line that goes from the can to the purge control valve. When I finish the job and remove the valve, I'll plug the two lines that go from it to the carb (and shorten them greatly). If I come across some good carb plugs, I'll use them. Otherwise I'll just block off the holes with an inch of tube, small bolt and some aquarium silicone.

there sure is a lot of vent tubing going all over down there! You're not kidding. The service manual and this website have been my best sources so far. I recommend coughing up 50-odd bux for the shop manual; it's good.

• 1 month later...

I am confused about the color of spark plugs… I have some black and red deposits or discolorations on my plug and they are there no matter what RPM I kill the engine at. I don’t know a whole lot about this but from what I have read I haven’t seen to much information about red plugs.

What colors are other 230l owners seeing?

The only mod I have made the engine/exhaust system is that I shortened the spark arrestor that is used to plug the last baffle. (It’s easy to do and it gives the bike a nice throaty sound without the cost or extreme noise of the other options)

I have noticed a drop in my MPG since I bought the bike. I used to get around 80 but now I get 65. I don’t know if this correlates with my mod or just my getting used the bike and riding it much harder and faster now than I did when I was new on it. Probably the latter, it’s just hard to not cruise at 50 every where on this thing.

Any help or ideas?

Should be shooting for a nice tan color. Black and red, I would think means your jetting is a bit all over the place. Heres my mods:

Stock exhaust tip with spark arrestor cut out

Top of the air box removed

Pilot jet 42 (a bit big)

idle/air mixture screw turned out to 3/4 from bottom

Main jet 130

I am probably a bit lean on the main as Im not quite showing tan, but rather a an off white-tan.

My milage sucks too.....cause Im always hammering it (too much fun not to)

Hey- My 230L setup is similar to suzukisupermoto, and i am very happy with the mods specially since I only spent a few dollars on the jet.

I cut tube off of airbox and cut another hole about 2 inch in the lid

cut the inside of the baffle tube off exhaust (outsids tip still on)

put in 125 mainjet, and have not adjusted air/fuel (so far doesnt seem like I need to) bike accelerates and takes throttle pretty smoothly

anyone know of a better air filter?, I checked several companies but no luck

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys just added a few goodies to my bike! I got one of those racks for the back from cycles racks and added a skid plate! I would add a pic if i know how to here on this form! The rack is very functional and is great for those little over nite get aways! I can store my little pup tent,sleeping gear and a few goodies! The skid plate is definitly a life savor for the bike. All those rocks no longer reach my motor block! lol

hey guys just added a few goodies to my bike! I got one of those racks for the back from cycles racks and added a skid plate!

Congratulations 4jfarmer, it sounds like just about everyone now has their 230L dialed in for their specific needs ?

You can put pictures in your post by uploading them to a free photo host (I like tinypic.com) and they will give you the exact bulletin board code for your image. It looks like [ IMG ] some address [ /IMG ]. Paste that into your post and the pic will show up. No TT form stuff needed.

yo Barterer what kinda supertrapp pipe did you get?

I didn't get a full Supertrapp pipe, and don't think one exists that will fit the 230L. I got an adaptor ring from Engines Only that bolts to the stock muffler and eliminates the stock baffle. That was good for a while, but I've since upgraded to an XRsOnly pipe, and after some shimming and tweaking and forcing to get it installed, I'm very happy with it.

I think user "beardo" on my 230L forum was going to fit a general Supertrapp muffler to the stock header, but he's moved on to other projects. I also believe the XRsOnly muffler will fit the stock header, though they say you have to buy the whole XRsOnly "system." ?

• 2 weeks later...
i was just on the FMF web site and saw that they now have two pipes for the crf230L i was wondering if any one had any feedback about these two pipes?

I ordered the Q4 from FMF for my 230L, but they said that they won't actually be available for 3-4 weeks (same for the Powercore 4), so I doubt if anyone has one yet.