cleaning air filter with simple green

Diesel works better. One dip, squeeze out, and it's like new. Use the Simple Green to wash the Diesel out.

My process is: Diesel dip (or soak (only 5 mins) depending on how dirty). Squeeze out. Dawn dishwasher liquid (or Orange cleaner or Simple Green or whatever cuts the oil and solvent). Soak 10 minutes. Rinse out. Air dry 24 hours to make sure all the water is gone. Apply filter oil and let dry 24 hours to let the solvent evaporate.

Yeah, 3 days, but I'm anal.

• Like 2

I used simple green on mine with hot water. It worked ok, but I added some dish detergent(powdered stuff for the dish washer). Let it soak for about an hour, wring it out(not squishing it--folding it.) rinse, air dry, put in a ziplock bag with filter oil, ensure it gets a good coating, wring out(folding again) and then put it back on the bike.

Like most of you I've been cleaning air filter's for years, I've used all of said liquids to clean with, and a few I definitely shouldn't have, but I found out that harsh solvents may not be good for this. I know that filter companies want you to invest in their brand, and spin disaster tales of what will happen if you use gas or solvents to clean them with but I actually agree on some of it. My recommendation is to use the cleaner specified for your filter brand. After all, they are specifically designed to both sufficiently clean and prolong filter life. Solvent based liquids like gas, diesel, etc…can deteriorate the glue that bonds the different layers of foam together. Secondly I no longer ring out the filter as it too can break down the element. After the filter is cleaned with whatever brand you decide on, it should be washed with soap and water to remove the cleaner and any other foreign particles that stayed behind. Finally one of the most important things to do is to completely dry the filter. If you get impatient and apply filter oil when its still wet the moisture that's still present will eventually evaporate leaving un-oiled parts on the filter. This can allow for dirt to slip by and possibly enter the engine. I like my aftermarket filters and unequivocally rely on them to do there job, but all three of these foresaid conditions leave little or no evidence to a breakdown, meaning you won't know they're not working until its too late. Filters are cheaper than engine rebuilds so keep two on hand, one on the bike and one on stand by, that way you won't cut corners to get back on the trail.

L8r?

It's apparent that some responders to the OP's question are not aware of what K&N filters are. K&N filters are a cotton gauze filter, not a foam filter. There is no wringing them out. Methods used to clean foam type filters don't apply this type of filter at all.

I always use kerosene for cleaning filters. It's a very mild solvent, and yet easily disperses the oil. Then I follow up with Simple Green and hot water rinse. Be sure to only squeeze out your fillter, and never wring it because wringing can tear the delicate little foam cells.?

Greg

It's apparent that some responders to the OP's question are not aware of what K&N filters are. K&N filters are a cotton gauze filter, not a foam filter. There is no wringing them out. Methods used to clean foam type filters don't apply this type of filter at all.

I understand that but not everyone on this forum has cotton gauze filters like K&N. East coast should have all the info he needs, I was hoping to enlighten other readers that use foam filters. I have owned both in the past and used rudimentary ways of cleaning them until I learned the ins and outs of filter maintenance. There's nothing wrong with a little Gee wiz info. After all, some if not all bikes come with a foam filter from the factory now. I'm just trying to be helpful and promote smart thinking to my fellow DRZ riders.

I always use kerosene for cleaning filters. It's a very mild solvent, and yet easily disperses the oil. Then I follow up with Simple Green and hot water rinse. Be sure to only squeeze out your fillter, and never wring it because wringing can tear the delicate little foam cells. ?

Greg

Kerosene isn't as bad as other fuels, as it's low in volatility and therefore lacks harsh chem's like benzene etc…Like most jet fuels it’s a few grades below diesel and much cleaner. I would use it in a pinch. I have nothing against simple green products either.?

I understand that but not everyone on this forum has cotton gauze filters like K&N. East coast should have all the info he needs, I was hoping to enlighten other readers that use foam filters. I have owned both in the past and used rudimentary ways of cleaning them until I learned the ins and outs of filter maintenance. There's nothing wrong with a little Gee wiz info. After all, some if not all bikes come with a foam filter from the factory now. I'm just trying to be helpful and promote smart thinking to my fellow DRZ riders.

That's nice, but this thread was about East Coast's K&N filter and whether or not Simple Green was suitable for cleaning it. Information on foam air filters isn't going to help East Coast with his question. If you want to enlighten the rest of us on how to clean a foam air filter, why not start a new thread? Or just add to an existing thread that's discussing foam air filters? At any rate, my original comment wasn't specifically aimed at you, my post just happened be right after yours. I'm sorry that you took it personally.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

are you not aware that k&n makes foam filters?

My suggestion is to take that K&N filter and throw it in the garbage.

I once took one out of the package at Wal-Mart and held it up to the light. I could see holes in the filter media.

Thank you!

Uni all day

Gasoline dip, squeeze squeeze, compressed air dry, you might have three days when you dont have ten more bikes to do. Bel ray filter oil. Squeeze squeeze. Rubber gloves are a good idea. Grease the lip that contacts the box. Put back in in ten minutes.

Race prep. We dont have the time

K and n...please dont. I feel for your motor

Oh...edit: Simple greens for bongs

Edited by notoriousE-R-I-C

• 4 weeks later...