Building a track

Hey everyone. A buddy and I are thinking of buying some land and building a track in Southwest Ohio (Cincinnati area). I know it's easier said than done and that is why I'm posting this. We are in the very beginning stages-just ideas right now-and starting to look at things like legality, location, zoning laws, equipment, costs, etc.

We would like to do it right, make it safe as well as profitable, and hold AMA-sanctioned races there. Probably, we would want three tracks: a well-groomed motocross track for bikes only just to race and practice on, a toned down track for beginners and possibly quads, and a mini track for the kids and possibly some Langtown-esque mini races. If possible, we would like to have some trails for woods riding as well.

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice or experience in the matter. What are some key things to look out for? How much acreage do you think it would take? What are some potential benefits or drawbacks? Any common hurdles we can head off at the pass? Can it actually be profitable or are these things more of a labor of love.

More or less, this would be my primary income and full-time employment, while my buddy would be an investor. We are both avid riders, but have to remember first and foremost that this will be a business and an investment for us. We have the financial resources to begin.

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

I live in the Cincinnati area and would love for that to happen, especially a mini track too since I am building a xr100 hybrid. I used to deal with Duke at Big Rock and the insurance on these places is outrageous. Earlywine's holds nonAMA sanctioned races and just risks it (I think). There is definitely a need in the area, I hear it all the time (at the shop I work at). With New Vienna closing down there aren't any real moto places in the area at the moment. I actually know a guy who wants to do an indoor riding area in Cincinnati/Southwest Indiana area. If you get a hold of me I can give you his info. and see what he thinks. He has been working on the idea for about a year, but can't find the money to get started. The weather here sucks as you know, either too hot or wet and rainy. email me kennedyjo@nku.edu and I can maybe get some info for you.

Here are a few ideas. Check the district 11 site, there is a list of promoters with phone and websites/e-mails listed. I would talk to some other promoters they would be your best bet on info along with people involved with the district 11 board. Also check out Danial Boone MX, they have a website, should have contact information, that guy has a nice setup and holds some pretty big races. You may also want to contact Podium One, think they have a web site. I heard they have new ownership so they may be able to answer some of the questions you have, since they just went through a lot of it themselves I am sure. You are right, Southwest Ohio needs more tracks, I live in Fairfield and would love to see a new track pop up and I think there is quite a demand for a quality practice track/race track. As far as being profitable or just breaking even it is hard to say. I would imagine Kenworthys make a profit because of the national, and Action Sports might since they hold the friday or saturday night supercrosses that draw a decent crowd from what I hear. Be sure to keep us posted on your developments.

I just thought of something else. Check out pitracer.com, it is a ohio motocross site mostly focused on district 12. they have a message board and I know that there are a few promoters that hang out on there, Tim from Scenic Highlands is one. Post your message on there, those guys will be able to answer your questions. Hope that helps.

Sounds like a grand plan. Find a good zoning/real estate attorney--preferably one who rides. Also, contact the AMA up front and find out about insurance requirments and sanctioning before you hire the attorney.

Start keeping an eye out for 80 acre farms or more. You could live there. Find one half tillable and half wooded. You can fit a lot of trail in a 40 acre woods. MX eats real estate, so does parking. Look at the mall parking lots or lots at the tracks you go to. Remember, most who come to a track will take up about 4 car spots, more with a motorhome and large toy hauler.

Hopefully your land will have some natural hills--less dirt to move.

Maybe you could simply buy a 9 hole golf course? Most of the work will be done!

Don't forget a sand box with a sun cover for the kids!

One of the tracks near by had problems with the neighbors (too much dust) and zoning problems with the streams and run offs. You've got to make sure not to build near natural water sources or the greens will claim that you're ruining the ecosystem, etc. and the various laws will go into effect making you change your property to preserve the natural habitat, etc. If the neighbors don't want you, it can get real ugly! The local track had all of these problems and the owners had a lot to fight over along with dealing with the various building and attorney costs (still on going). Make sure you pick a remote piece of land that won't affect any neighbors and won't cause any changes in the habitat - doesn't sound all that easy does it?

• 5 years later...

whats up guys just some insight new vienna is not closed it is open and doing well i know this because i bought it and had a great turnout sun. 4/6 about 110 riders and to add to this tracks can be proiftable but more of a labor of love feel free to call me or the track if you would like to come out and see first hand 513-289-7808 or 937-987-2100 track..........

whats up guys just some insight new vienna is not closed it is open and doing well i know this because i bought it and had a great turnout sun. 4/6 about 110 riders and to add to this tracks can be proiftable but more of a labor of love feel free to call me or the track if you would like to come out and see first hand 513-289-7808 or 937-987-2100 track..........

thats good to hear people are starting to come out there again. i've been riding there since the place opened but the last couple years the track hasn't been to good. i'll be coming out there again this year though cause i heard the track was perfect on sunday. is there going to be any races there this year?