Sign in to follow this  

3rd Gear only, Clutch Slipping

I searched but there did not seem to be an answer. I have a 2001 XRR with untold miles and previous poor maintenance for sure. (Had the engine apart after buying). My first bike, I have alot of mechanical issues yet to experience so I need some advice. Anyways after some reading, I switched to Rotella synthentic oil a week ago. While riding, in 3rd gear only, the bike acts as if the clutch is slipping. It surges a little, bucks etc. From what I read pretty sure its the clutch. This occurs in 3rd gear only. I switched back to Dino oil, hoping for fix but no go. Same poor 3rd gear performance. My cable is adjusted out pretty far. The other gears are fine, no slipping. I ride infrequently but my 11 year old was on our 230F yesterday for the first time yesterday and hes ready to go! What do you guys feel I'm looking at. Can I add the clutch plate mod? Do I need a new clutch basket? Any other tests I can do to narrow this down?

Thanks,

Skip

XR600Rs are noted for the 3rd gear going bad. If you are hearing clunking noises and the bike bucks and surges only in 3rd, it could be that the dogs are breaking/broken off third gear. You can inspect the tranny by removing the cylinder head, cylinder and piston and looking inside. You can make a preliminary check by draining the crankcase and check the magnetic plug for metal debris. Get a magnet with a flexible stalk and stick it in the drain hole and see if you can pick up any metal pieces.

• Like 1

I searched but there did not seem to be an answer. I have a 2001 XRR with untold miles and previous poor maintenance for sure. (Had the engine apart after buying). My first bike, I have alot of mechanical issues yet to experience so I need some advice. Anyways after some reading, I switched to Rotella synthentic oil a week ago. While riding, in 3rd gear only, the bike acts as if the clutch is slipping. It surges a little, bucks etc. From what I read pretty sure its the clutch. This occurs in 3rd gear only. I switched back to Dino oil, hoping for fix but no go. Same poor 3rd gear performance. My cable is adjusted out pretty far. The other gears are fine, no slipping. I ride infrequently but my 11 year old was on our 230F yesterday for the first time yesterday and hes ready to go! What do you guys feel I'm looking at. Can I add the clutch plate mod? Do I need a new clutch basket? Any other tests I can do to narrow this down?

Thanks,

Skip

XR600Rs are noted for the 3rd gear going bad. If you are hearing clunking noises and the bike bucks and surges only in 3rd, it could be that the dogs are breaking/broken off third gear. You can inspect the tranny by removing the cylinder head, cylinder and piston and looking inside. You can make a preliminary check by draining the crankcase and check the magnetic plug for metal debris. Get a magnet with a flexible stalk and stick it in the drain hole and see if you can pick up any metal pieces.

If this ONLY happens in 3rd gear, I have to agree with creeky. You have broken/worn dogs on third drive/driven gears.

Only way to fix it is an O/H.

Can I continue to ride? Slow woods rides in first and second gear only or do you think I will do more damage. Not a good time to repair and I would hate for the bike to sit...

Can I continue to ride? Slow woods rides in first and second gear only or do you think I will do more damage. Not a good time to repair and I would hate for the bike to sit...

Thats a tough one. If it's what it seems and there is a possibility, of a broken dog floating around in the transmission. Well I think you get the picture.

That also may not be the case though. They might just be worn.

It's a tough judgment call without seeing into the case.

In the remote past, I have worked on two XR600s and an XR350 that had the 3rd gears fail. I can guarantee that if you continue riding, more and better damage will be done. As the transmission disintegrates, the metal fragments find their way all over the inside of the engine and will do significant harm.

Just as a bearer of bad news, as the dogs or teeth on third gear are jumping around, this is also putting non-designed stresses on the shift forks. So as you ride it, you are also starting to bend the shift fork. Sooner rather than later you are going to loose the dogs on the gear that is next 3rd on the rail as the shift fork gets wasted.

I have never had this issue (or seen it before) with a XR650R, but this was a very common issue with the KX500s I used to race in the dez. That bike would round the dogs on gear #3, bend the shift fork, and gear #4 would go when the shift fork went south. I broke so many of them I kept a gear cluster and shift forks in my spares bin!

Ouch, the price of riding. Moneywise, I guess the parts shouldnt be too bad if its limited to the one gear, but the labor would be killer. Maybe 8 hours in a shop? With a manual, lots of time and some help online, do you think it could be done by someone like myself thats never been in an engine or am I looking for trouble? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but new to bikes.

Ouch, the price of riding. Moneywise, I guess the parts shouldnt be too bad if its limited to the one gear, but the labor would be killer. Maybe 8 hours in a shop? With a manual, lots of time and some help online, do you think it could be done by someone like myself thats never been in an engine or am I looking for trouble? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but new to bikes.

I think it's within the scope of any handy man at home.

The key is a good manual, take pics on disassembly, patience/time and don't be afraid to ask questions.

I think it's within the scope of any handy man at home.

The key is a good manual, take pics on disassembly, patience/time and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Excellent advice.:worthy: