Sign in to follow this  

Sat 11/8 - Foresthill

Ok, we have a little trail maintenance to do first thing, but we'll be ready to ride by 9 am. Gonna do the whole hill....all of it before it snows, and before they seasonally close it. We're staging at the 10 crossing of sugarpine road at 830 am.

This is a class A ride, all of loop 5, and 4 and all 2, 3 , 1 , & 7.

Bob,

You can't ride FH, yer tooo friggin' OLD!

Besides, ya ain't gotta 09 berg..(Yet..:worthy: )

Get the new Berg, I'll break it in fer ya..:eek:

Is Dan gonna keep the Berg distributorship this year? What's the skinny??

How many miles in the loop?

Looks like high 40's?

Trying to see if my 2 stroke will make it all the way or if I gotta top off when we come back through.

Thanks,

Muddy

we'll do probably 35-40 miles, with a mid way break at truck after loop 5.

Motoxotica sells chinese scooters now. 2009 Bergs are red sticker. I am staying put with my 2006.

Hi Bob,

Sounds like a nice ride. Conditions should still be very good.

Going to be up there doing a similar ride Friday.

As for the Trial Maint, Can you send me a link or the actual form to register as a Sawyer or general grunt for the friends of Forest Hill.

My Boys are getting old enough that I can get get out a bit more often now and wanted to start catching up with you guys again.

I have a Husqvarna 350 20" saw and a quad that I use for work (belongs to my wife).

-Slider

http://www.friendsofforesthillohvtrails.org/

The forums are shut down on that site, The new Tahoe FS EIS ( in planning stages now see other threads) will probably result in annual forced full winter season trail closures for 4-6 months. The whole FH volunteer effort these last 3-4 years was developed to help reduce the winter closures placed by past District Ranger Jan Cutts and to help maintain the OHV trails, we had some success in getting the closures being posponed till the rains really hit and lifted early in april after we cleared the tree falls.......... we ( FOFHOT, THe FH chamber of commerce, local riders and STMV) all had quite a bit of success in OHV trail repairs too, but given they now plan to automatically shut down the whole area for 4 -6 months .........I suggest any new fresh faced OHV volunters are best to organize new and fresh after the the Tahoe EIS planning is done , only then you will know what you're in for and who is the new district rangers are and their marching orders. The EDF final EIS which is the model for Tahoe did mentioned working with volunteers but it has been lip service only. Basically I believe many volunteers will now stop doing any trail work in reaction to the planned automatic seasonal closures and the do nothing federal employees who run the local FS ranger districts.

In other words SCREW IT> They want it closed for false reasons of water quality and erosion? .They won't even lift a finger to maintain the trails and yet they get money to do so?....... well so be it. I am done helping the FS at FH. I have one task to do this weekend I promised to do, but that's it for me. THIS IS The LAST WALTZ...adios OHV volunteering on trails that get blown out by USFS approved logging and then they close it all winter for BS reasons.

I lived through the radical trail and land shutdowns of the 70s, this is like that time. The past is over. Trail riding is very limited now and will be closed all winter. It's life now in 2009 and beyond. I hardly ride anymore. I like my Kayak - no red stickers or seasonal closures on the lakes and oceans. Long live the past dirt bike glory days. R.I.P Boomer the Trail dog.

Now I think I'm going down to the well tonight

and I'm going to drink till I get my fill

And I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it

but I probably will

Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture

a little of the glory of, well time slips away

and leaves you with nothing mister but

boring stories of glory days

- Bruce Springsteen circa 1985

boomer.jpg

Best Avatar yet BB. :banghead:

I remember reading on here about fellas riding all over FH when it was closed. Ran into a ranger and he just waved. I just have visions of that red dirt ice rink. One day I just touched the back brake and it came all the way around in 1 second. :eek:

:worthy: I remember that trip. Remember what Boomer found and was eating???? (it wasn't a sandwich!)

WOW - BigBob - I applaud your past and present efforts and agree with what you say:

"The EDF final EIS which is the model for Tahoe did mentioned working with volunteers but it has been lip service only. Basically I believe many volunteers will now stop doing any trail work in reaction to the planned automatic seasonal closures and the do nothing federal employees who run the local FS ranger districts.

In other words SCREW IT> They want it closed for false reasons of water quality and erosion? .They won't even lift a finger to maintain the trails and yet they get money to do so?....... well so be it. I am done helping the FS at FH. I have one task to do this weekend I promised to do, but that's it for me. THIS IS The LAST WALTZ...adios OHV volunteering on trails that get blown out by USFS approved logging and then they close it all winter for BS reasons".

The Forest Service must know of our frustrations in continuing to assist to clear & repair trails, pick up litter in staging areas and on the trails and spread the word of responsible OHV'ing to fellow riders. The Forest Service Must Know that they will Alienate the OHV Community as a whole by closing the entire Tahoe National Forest for 4 months of the year. They will then be solely responsible for maintaining everything without the benefit of any outside help.

Plus the back lash effect of riders that say screw it and ride anyway, trash the area even more than ever and leave it for the FS that locked us out. It just seems like they have no idea (typical Gov't) of how bad it may get if they shut us out.

Question - If no one is clearing the fallen trees on the trail and they reopen on a calendar based schedule (not a Rainfall based ) are we supposed to stop and go back the way we came?

You and I know what will happen - everyone will simply find their own way around the obstacles which will cause even more problems for the Forest Service. If they don't have the budget now; how are they going to do even more later?

I am still writing letters and pushing to keep at least Foresthill OHV area open following a "Rainfall Based Closure" Plan like used in Georgetown-RockCreek and Stonyford.

Thanks again Bigbob - I have alot of respect for your efforts.

This is what they probably want, people to give up and take up another sport.I haven't had the pleasure of riding fh,I hope it's around to ride,I suck at golf,dirt is too much fun.

:eek: BigBob ............. MonkeyClam ............. MorningRider ............ :banghead:

:worthy: Would that be kind of like the Three Amigos??? Or more like Sybil??? :bonk:

:eek: BigBob ............. MonkeyClam ............. MorningRider ............ :banghead:

:worthy: Would that be kind of like the Three Amigos??? Or more like Sybil??? :lol:

Bob

You can have a thread conversation all by yourself now ! :lol::bonk:

Have a good ride - should be epic !

dp:ride:

just the way I like it. does anybody ever really go on TT rides anymore? all anyone does is make noise and yap in this forum. There maybe a ride group in fresno now or some stonyford trips, clear creek is gone and the old GT/FH/EF crowd is way dead.. gone..gone like that skipper guy all gone..

Congrats on the SSR second place at the Crazy Miner. I have two back to back first place Crazy Miner SSR trophies on my wall :eek::worthy:

Looks like a bunch (6 - 8) of our group is going to ride 5 & 6 at Foresthill on Sunday; some of us have other stuff to do on Saturday - like work.

Congrats on the SSR second place at the Crazy Miner. I have two back to back first place Crazy Miner SSR trophies on my wall :banghead::worthy:

Bob ( if you are still going by Bob :eek: )

That was very cruel :bonk: ...... I'll get ya next year !

dp:ride: