Buy the '87 or '94 CR500 ??

Have a line on 2 nice CR500's in very good shape. I will be mx only between vintage races ( '79 CR250 & '83 CR480 ) to have a little fun. I can also run the '87 in our local series which has class for 80's bikes . What would be the pros/cons of both. Thanks for the input...ride safe.

There's no comparing these bikes because the 94 is so much better in every catagory. The only thing I can say about the 87 model is it was the fastest 500 I have ever ridden. Trying to ride the 87 model on the track with that powerful motor and bad suspension is a handfull. The 94 model has good suspension, turns very well and the motor is very smooth and powerful.

Both bikes are a hoot to ride but Honda made big improvements in those six years of developing these bikes.

The '87 has great forks and, as mentioned, is unreal fast and fun to ride.

The '94 is the ugliest of the three IMO with that pink/red plastic and white airbox and is detuned compared to the others.

The '91 falls nicely between the two. A fast but rideable bike.

If it were me, I would go with either the '91 or the '94 (I'd change the plastic like I did on mine). Though it's a great bike, it can be hard to find parts for the '87. Not so with the '91 or '94 since they stayed bascially the same from then until '01.

My '94 after changing the plastic/seat cover.

1994_CR500R_web.jpg

HRC, thats is one beauty there, anymore pixs of the mean machine ? What year airbox is that ? Reason tempted by the '87 was I can hang with most of buds on their new 450s on my '83 CR480 so figured that remembered how great the 87 CR line was, should do ok on the '87 but didn't take parts issues into effect and as the '91-'01 parts galore and plan to ride it 1-2 times per month guess the '94 would make more sense

I liked the '94 so much that I raced it for seven years. :worthy: I sold it when I bought into the 4-stroke hype in '02 but still wish I would have kept it. :eek:

The airbox was bought new and I believe it was for a '96 CR500.

Here's a couple more pics. Sorry about the quality but they're scans. I still get a kick seeing how I rolled back in 1996. :banghead:

1994CR500_edit_web.jpg

1996MX.jpg

I went with an 87 I got off Craig'slist for my AF500 project. Got another cylinder off ebay last night because some moron drilled out the boss on back of the jug and put a compression release in. This thing is going to be a blast. I didn't get to ride it much before removing it because the idiot was riding it without an air filter. The frame is an 04 CRF250 and the start of my aluminum gas tank is on the table also. A good friend machinist machined the threaded bung for the tank and I welded the inside to reduce distortion. The frame has already been cut and welded and I'll fab the motor mounts tomorrow at work.

Craigus

DSCN1237.jpg

The 94 is a better bike all around. Honda did some of their best work from 94-96. The bikes were/ still are incredible. If you can find a 96, the gears are wider ratio, and all things match up with the cr250 until 01. I sold my 94, worst decision I have ever made.

You want to stay away from the 91. 91 was the worst year for the upside down forks. I believe they were Showa. Not much can be done with them to make the chopy stuff better. Don't do well on the big stuff either. The 87 would have better front suspension. Also, they 80's bikes are great for the dunes, as they have the most raw power. All Honda did with this motor over the years was mellow it out. For trails, the 94, dunes 87. I've had 85, 86, 91 and just bought a 95. Have fun and check out cr500riders.com.:worthy::eek::banghead::bonk:

The forks on the 87 were awesome. But the power will be much harder to manage then the newer model. A PC pipe really helps to smooth out the older CR500s. As far as handling goes the older model will turn better but be less stable at speed. Ergos are better on the newer models. I had 85, 88 and 89 models years ago. My 88 and 89 models had PC pipes on them, really helped. Beginning in 89 they put in some "eyebrows" in the cylinder that really help the starting. Honda beefed up the clutch in 90 or 91. I would go with the newer model.

I like brits idea. That is the route i'm going this winter and hopefully get a road tag for it. I've owned a couple 500's and I personally like the 87's power. It always got me home and has a wicked powerband....Sometimes not tractable. I will never sell that motor as it would be good for a 250R 4 wheeler, street cart, or a odessey conversion also. Can't imagine what it would do in a 250R chassis(4-wheeler). Probably beat up my LT500!!

IMG_1995.jpg