Sign in to follow this  

700cc Big Bore DR 650

My DR is currently torn down getting the JE High Comp piston and Web cam installed. My mechanic informed me the wrong pin was put into my particular kit (bought from Kientech) and won't go through the rod.

he's going to call JE Monday and have a new pin shipped out. He says JE has great customer service and will take care of us.

Those buying this kit from JE or Kientech check your pin before you tear down.

Gary

DAMN! I hate set backs! I want it now! LOL

I'm surprised that Jesse would ship out the wrong pin, even if it was JE's fault, I guess he's awful busy.

I'm dying to see how it turns out.

DAMN! I hate set backs! I want it now! LOL

I'm surprised that Jesse would ship out the wrong pin, even if it was JE's fault, I guess he's awful busy.

I'm dying to see how it turns out.

I cannot fault Jesse as he gets the box in from JE then ships that out to me. It happens but yes it's a setback. Been raining here all day so I could not have ridden it anyway.

Glad you worked your bugs out.. it got scary there for awhile.

Would be sweet if you could get that monster dyno'd.

Glad you worked your bugs out.. it got scary there for awhile.

Would be sweet if you could get that monster dyno'd.

ya it was just my own stupidity on the vale clearance, I had it at TDC but it was not on the compression stroke.

also, there's no signs of any metal anywhere it doesn't belong.

I'm gonna try some more jetting adjustments but eventually I'll have to get it dyno'd, probably sooner than later.

aside from the afore mentioned possible higher compression piston, this is the extent of my bag of tricks, engine wise. so a dyno run's definitely in order, if only to satisfy (or crush) my ego.

I forgot to mention that I found out along the way that the valve relief cuts in the piston top, on the exhaust side were not in the right place.

a couple of minutes with a dremel & a carbide burr & that won't be a problem anymore.

I put a JE piston in a Raptor and it was also shipped with the wrong pin. I would definetly check before you tear down your bike. On JE's behalf I did have one shipped to my house next day. Good service but you shouldn't have to check things like that every time.:bonk:

did I tell the one about when I got "high compression" pistons for my 2005 Yamaha R1?

stock compression is 12.4:1, these were supposed to be 13.5:1.

well they didn't make as much power as the stock pistons.

I thought maybe the rings hadn't seated properly so I bought a ball hone & a new set of rings & re installed the pistons with new rings in freshly honed cylinders.

same thing, no power.

I also heard of another guy who had the same problem with the same pistons from JE

I called JE & told them the problem I was having, they said "bring it down & we'll have a look".

so I took the motor apart again & went to JE. the guy said that the rings had not seated properly & suggested that I get a real (professional) hone job & another new set of rings.

mind you a set of rings is $100.00

when I mentioned to him that maybe there was something wrong with the pistons & that I had heard of others having the same problem, he said "nobody else has complained except for you".

well I paid for a real hone job & another set of rings & it was still the same story, NO power.

I decided to put the stock pistons back in.

a drag racer that was following my story on the R1-forum.com said that he would buy them for 250.00 & give them a try.

same story, NO power.

since then I have heard of two more sets of these not making power, bring the total to 4 sets that I've heard about.

Hey John, any way to get a couple more degrees of advance. With that CR it should ping with 87 Oct, I would think. (?)

I haven't messed with the timing. I'll just up the compression some time in the future, when I can afford it.

I may look into timing after that.

thanks for the Idea!

I forgot to mention that I found out along the way that the valve relief cuts in the piston top, on the exhaust side were not in the right place.

a couple of minutes with a dremel & a carbide burr & that won't be a problem anymore.

Hmm... Makes me think that piston is not produced for the DR650 at all. The Suzuki 700 Quadzilla has a very similar size and shaped piston. Including the dished top.

Hmm... Makes me think that piston is not produced for the DR650 at all. The Suzuki 700 Quadzilla has a very similar size and shaped piston. Including the dished top.

that could be.

BTW, did you not get my PM? or am I on ignore?

BSR-1, did you use some kind of metal pipe inside the end of the radiator hose to clamp both the hose and the filter together? Could you let me know the make and part number of the radiator hose? Thanks.

BSR-1, did you use some kind of metal pipe inside the end of the radiator hose to clamp both the hose and the filter together? Could you let me know the make and part number of the radiator hose? Thanks.

I used a piece of 2" ABS as a connector & just eased the end (both inside & out with a dremel).

the hose just says "2004". I got it at an auto/marine shop. the guy said it was "marine grade" radiator hose, pretty stout stuff, it has two layers of fiber inside instead of the regular one or none. it wasn't easy to cut/shape,

I would have preferred a piece with a dog leg in it but I made this work.

Just the thing man, thanks!

forgot to mention, the hose is 2.25" ID

I have a TM40 but I suspect the stock carb is the same as the airboot fits both.

Yep, i've got the TM-40 also. I'm watching this thread closely as i plan on doing the same thing (big bore kit) as you have done. Thanks again.

no problem!

have you spoken to Jesse about the availability of the 700 kit? or are you going to order it all yourself?

I called last week to order a speedo drive eliminator and can't remember the name of the guy i spoke to (Chris?) but know that it wasn't Jesse. I told him to put me on the list for a kit when it comes available, gave him my number and e-mail address. I spoke to him at length about it and now all i need to do is figure out who i want to have do the bore and re-plate.

I called last week to order a speedo drive eliminator and can't remember the name of the guy i spoke to (Chris?) but know that it wasn't Jesse. I told him to put me on the list for a kit when it comes available, gave him my number and e-mail address. I spoke to him at length about it and now all i need to do is figure out who i want to have do the bore and re-plate.

that was kientech? they have a core exchange on the cylinder so that it's already bored & plated & then you just send them your cylinder when you're done.

I've never spoken to chris.

Crap, i got the speedo drive eliminator from pro-cycle and was talking to the guy there. Obviously talking to the wrong set of guys .... i'll give Keintech a call this week and ask about it. Thanks for the heads up.

Crap, i got the speedo drive eliminator from pro-cycle and was talking to the guy there. Obviously talking to the wrong set of guys .... i'll give Keintech a call this week and ask about it. Thanks for the heads up.

I spoke with Jesse just a few weeks ago about this and he was not forthcoming on a release date. Said he had to do testing but again no time table so I just ordered the JE High Comp kit with Web Cam.. if that doesn't do it for me, hopefully the 700 kit will be out soon.