Please pay respects to my friend who died thursday

Matt Hall died quietly, Thursday in his apartment. Matt was a friend of mine, but he would not want anyone to be upset over his passing. He was in his mid eighties.

I doubt anyone in here knew Matt, but he was well known by a lot of Illinois dealers and he loved motorcycles.

I don't know Matt's timeline perfectly, but it seems to me that he was riding motorcycles before many of our parents were born. In his tons of things he saved, I saw an awesome picture of him sitting on his Indian motorcycle as a very young man. His sidecar was piled high with his newspaper route's daily burden.

I managed to nab one of his pictures from the piles, which I had framed and dislpayed in our waiting area a few months back. The picture is from 1963, and dipicts Matt giving SIU parachute club members a ride back from the drop point on the back of (I think) a CZ motorcycle. He would pick them up one at a time from the landing area (his front 10 acres) and return them to civilization (their van in his driveway).

Matt told me that he rode a motorcycle in WW2. I don't know exactly what he did, but he told me about one of his missions. I don't know where he was stationed, but his duty was to deliver a message to a general named Patton. Matt said when he got to his destination and delivered his message, General Patton offered him a grape soda.

Matt started his business life selling newspapers, but soon he decided he wanted to be closer to the thing he loved most. Thus, Speede Service was born. His first motorcycle line was Indian. He carried the V-twins and was proud to sell them. He told me when Indian's in line twin came out he was so pleased with smoothness of the engine, and the overall quality of the machine.

Who really knows what happened to the Indian company, but Matt picked up other lines to deal with the adversity of the changing business world. He carried CZ, BMW, Jawa, I think Moto-Guzzi, and probably a couple others that I don't know about, but in 1962 he decided to take a chance on a little known Japanese company called Yamaha.

Anti-Japanese sentiment was hign in the country, and I'm sure Matt thought twice about supporting the nation he had sworn to defeat just 20 years earlier. As any great business man would though, he put his personal feelings aside and took a chance on what he thought was a quality product.

Well companies come and companies go, and the seventies were a turbulent time. CZ and Jawa enjoyed great success in the late sixties/early seventies. So did Matt Hall. "That was a great time to sell motorcycles" Matt told me once. Yamaha and the all the others were full steam ahead building and competeing with their offerings. Matt told me at one time there were something like 20 different lines of bikes to choose from in an area where probably less than ten reside today. Jawa, Hodaka, Penton, Husky, Enfield, BSA, if they had 2 wheels Matt liked them. Just like Indian though, for one reason or another, most of the lines Matt carried in the early seventies had pulled the rug out from under him by the late seventies.

By the time the eighties rolled around, Matt had only one brand left that he could really count on.

Yamaha kept Speede Service alive in a time when interest rates made it pretty hard to sell luxury items. Matt's dedication to the sport and quality customer service kept the Speede Service fires burning bright also.

My first encounter with Matt Hall was in 1990. I was fixing bikes for people to try to supplement my SIU college expenses, and I was working on a TX 750 in particular. When I walked up to Matt at the counter and asked to order a new clutch basket, he impressed me by having one in stock. With out question I could sense his pride with my satisfaction.

My college carrer progressed, and so did my mechanical abilities, and the next meaningful encounter was me asking Matt for a job. He didn't need any techs at the time, so he would have to wait a few years until he did need me.

The next meaningful time we met, Matt showed his true love for the sport, by turning his life's work over to 2 punk kids. 2 punk kids who were offering less money than other people who had tried to buy his business. 2 punk kids who desperately needed a kind old man to give them a chance. 2 punk kids that he knew loved the sport as much as he did. 2 punk kids that are proud and thankful to say they knew Matt Hall.

Matt was one of the key players that helped me get my start, and for that I will always remember him fondly. He truly is a little piece of motorcycle history, and the industry was lucky to have him.

Matt's wife left him last year after 50+ years of marriage. Matt was a religious man, and he was confident that our sorrow for Cathrine was wasted, as she was bound for a new wonderful adventure. Matt was ready to join her when the powers that be were ready to take him, but not a minute sooner. He lived in a small apartment by himself, and was fully capable of taking care of himself-I hope I can be so well when I'm in my eighties. He had confided to me what a great life he felt that he experienced, and he was very realistic about a man's alloted time on this earth.

Matt would not want anyone to be sad about his passing, as he felt he would be bound for a new adventure with his beloved Cathrine.

Too bad Matt, I simply can't contain my sorrw. I miss you already. You were a friend and mentor to me.


I share your respect for senior riders. I put as much priority as I can for riding with the guys in their 60's. We all have limited time to live and ride and I enjoy their company and knowledge.

My dad was in Patton's Army. Patton had units other than the the 82nd under his command. Other WWII guys can help me if they have info on this. Dad enlisted in 1941 / 1942 time frame and was a motorpool Sgt. The 82nd spent time base jumping all over the US from Texas to North Carolina. They were first shipped to North Africa for "Operation Torch" and invaded Sicily. I have some photos he took during the war. Most of his family was in Sicily and he visited them. After Sicily they were pulled back to England to refit and then shipped out to France after D-day. Matt may have told you about some of this. A lot of Vets did not ever seem to know where they were or even what larger units they were connected with. Most of the Vets knew Patton. Matt is part of generation that saw living in a house with no power (in some cases no toilet) to the personal computer.

Godspeed to the generation that provide for and saw so much change.


You captured his spirit and character very well... I am sure you are sad at his passing, even though you say he would not want you to be. It is always sad when someone leaves this world, step out of our lives, never to be with us physically... His spirit is the one that drives most of us, the love of freedom, the love of bikes, and from what you describe, he was a well balanced person who saw a lot did a lot, yet managed to be happy with his lot.

He led an authentic life, and managed to survive it's ups and down. You were lucky to know him, and you got to see the true spirit of a wonderful human being, and your friendship was able to transcend generations - we too often dismiss other generations - old people are slow and forget stuff, young people are noisy and up to trouble all the time... Once we get to know people, we realise that the human condition runs through each of us like a thread - and with motorbikes and through this site I have been connected to a wonderful young man in Garrett, and a great older character in Matt.

We should all respect him for that, I do reading your post. Thanks for taking the time to share his effect on your life with us.

I will be thinking of him and you over the next week or so, obviously there will be arrangements to be made and ceremonies to be attended.

I too hope to have along and happy life, and retain my sparkle and independence until a ripe old age - like Matt Hall.

May he Rest In Peace, and be reunited with his other love, Cathrine.




I feel for you during your time of grieving. I have known only a couple of men the way you describe Matt.He seems to have made an impression on you, so his spirit will live on thru you and your actions. Praise the lord for the good men we meet in our lives. Take comfort in knowing he is smiling upon you and your actions of calling him your friend. Take care and remember all the good times and what he taught you.You and he will be in my prayers

Thank You Mr. Matt Hall.

From your friends' discription, The whole U.S.A. needs to pay there respects to you as a Christian, Man, Husband, Soldier, Friend, Buisness Owner and Bike Rider.

It's people like you Matt that have lived thourgh both the Hell of War & the Peace of Home that this country to soon forgets. From the way Ben describes you, You Sir are a true American Hero. Unsung and Unassuming in your walk through this life here on earth. Happy only to accomplish what the "Master" has set before you.

I, as a Vet from the end of the Vietnam era, Stand and Salute You.

I, as a fellow believer Neel and Pray for you.


Thank You for allowing us here on TT the privilege to give tribute to a man such as Matt Hall.


Thank you for telling us this important story of a man whose life was full and touched so many others. I pray for his eternal rest and for his friends like yourself to have strength in this time of loss. It is nice that you remember Mr Hall's personal light and the heart he had. He must have been a wonderful man to know and be around.

You spoke very eloquently of his love for motorcycles and the personal pride he took in his business. I feel like you are carrying on his life and the traditions he started. God bless Matt Hall and you also for caring enough to remember him to us here.


Bill Barnard


Becouse of you Mr Hall now has a memorial you passed n.

Thats what it is all about.

Thank you Ben for sharing your freinds life with us


God bless you and Mr. Hall , I know he is smiling down on you right now. My deepest sympathies to you .


I read your post and wiped many a tear as I moved throught the story. Your comments about Matt Hall captured the essence of what life is all about. I am sure Matt is proud of the memories you gave us and the legacy he lived.

I have said many a time that "our success in life is not measured by our W2 forms, or by how much money that can be earned, saved, or blown- but is measured by what our children and friends say about us when we are not around!"

Matt knew the "dream" and that is why he took a chance on "2 punk kids" - and Matt has long been proud of that decision!

My prayers are with you during this time. Try an celebrate his life, as I suspect that is what Matt would want.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By Samx22x
      Alright so I’m new to the site so maybe this question has already been asked. I have a 2002 Yz426f and I want a new exhaust, it has the stock header and silencer and sounds amazing but I’d like a little more from it, I know I want the fmf power bomb header and am kind of undecided on the silencer, I see on fmf’s website that their silencer will add low end and slightly take from top end and the other way around but I’m looking for increases throughout rpm range. I do a lot of trail, hill climbs, jumps, and wheelies so kind of need good performance everywhere in the rpms. My question is what silencer I should get and the jetting I should get for the carb. Thanks
    • By Zack Ailing
      hey guys just picked up a new project bike. Its a 2008 Yz450f with a big bore kit and a stroker crank. The total cc of the engine is now 499. It runs on race gas and will be an absolute monster when shes ready to rip. I will continue to make more videos on the bike so stay tuned Link to the video: 
    • By High On Octane
      2005 YZ450F, Athena Big Bore, Power Bomb, Q4.
      Ok.  Last fall after a decently hot day at the track, I noticed coolant leaking from the weep hole on my water pump after pulling into the pits.  Ordered an Athena re-seal kit, put it all back together and didn't really get a chance to ride it.  3 weeks ago, went out to the track, and after about 20 laps, it started leaking again.  Kept filling it with water to get thru the day, never ran anywhere close to dry or empty, jut a cup or 2 low.  Ordered a Hot Rods re-seal kit with bearing and also ordered a new w/p shaft.  Did it all again and got it back together, ran it, and as soon as it got to temp, it was leaking out of the weep hole again.
      So, what the heck am I missing?  I'm totally stumped on this one.  Is something wrong with my case cover?  Do I need to replace the w/p itself?  I'm feeling like I should've just ponied up for the Boysen in the first place, and now it's biting me in the butt.  Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
    • By Awheeler25u
      Alright guys, my 04 YZ450f runs fine minus some slight backfires when decelerating (need to adjust fuel screw). The other day when I was done checking my valve clearances I changed the oil and filter and put the bike back on the stand, kicked it a few times without the ignition coil in to get some oil flowing got off and noticed a little drip spot on the ground, it was no bigger than a dime so I thought nothing of it. Started the bike with no issues took it for a quick 10-15 min ride, came back to the garage to find out my whole case was soaked with oil and it started pooling in the low spots on the clutch basket side. I cleaned all the oil off and took it out again for 5 mins to try and see where it was coming from, here are my three possible places but nothing directly leads me to believe it’s any of the three either.
      1. Decompression plug area
      2.  Valve cover gasket leak (not really sure because the amount of oil leaking Looks to be a large amount
      3. Oil tank (bad weld or cracked weld somewhere
      what are you guys thinking?
    • By bofar
      Hey guys. I could really use your help diagnosing an issue that came up riding today. Bike is a 2013 YZ450F. Well maintained and haven't had any issues until now. Both the oil and coolant are new and levels are to spec. 
      After riding for about an hour in the sand dunes, I noticed a grinding going on on the right side of the bottom end (from what I could tell). When I looked to see what was going on my kickstarter was vibrating and grinding really loud. This was a different sound than if you engaged the kickstarter while running. It sounded less "clanky" and more "vibrating/grinding" if that makes sense. Grabbing the kickstarter and moving it didn't help the issue.
      When I noticed it, I shut the bike off and gave it a second. Being a few miles deep into the dunes, I had to get it out of there so I started it back up and it seemed fine- no grinding. I headed back to the car and after a few minutes, it came back so I shut it off again, started it back up and nothing. That process happened one or two more times before I made it back to the truck. Seemed to run fine otherwise. 
      Once I got it back to the truck I started it up and tried to pay more attention to what was going on but it wasn't doing it. I did seem to have more of a metal on metal noise coming from the motor. I started and stopped the bike a few times and after the motor stopped there was a distinct metal clank/grinding noise that happened right after the motor shut of for maybe half a second. This doesn't happen every time. 
      I tried doing some research and have seen things that make me think it could be the spring that connects to the kickstarter, or the kickstarter stopper plate- but really I have no idea.
      Seems strange that the issue is off and on.
      Thanks for the help!