shifter leaking seal....Help!

my shifter seal has been leeaking lots of engine oil,,,,guess my only way to fix it is to tear the engine apart,,,,,,,Does anybody out there know of a way to replace the seal without having to tear the engine apart?

I have not looked closely...but if it is like the CR line, you just remove the shift lever, pry the old seal out, clean the area, and carefully install a new seal from the outside.

That would really be retarded of Honda to make a seal like that only replaceable from the interior....

Same thing happened to my 250F. Check closer...i'm pretty sure you can get to it from the outside. You can also try the fork seal technique on it. Try using the film negative trick. It worked for me. :)

I just noticed my bike is leaking oil around the shifter, can anyone give me some tips on replacing the shifter seal?

Engine doesn't have to come apart. The seal is right there. Just take off the shift lever and you'll see it. You could try working it off and then sliding a new one down the shaft. The whole shaft can be removed from the clutch side; which wouldn't be that bad but it would require removing the clutch and getting access to the external shift mechanism in there to slide that shaft out

Engine doesn't have to come apart. The seal is right there. Just take off the shift lever and you'll see it. You could try working it off and then sliding a new one down the shaft. The whole shaft can be removed from the clutch side; which wouldn't be that bad but it would require removing the clutch and getting access to the external shift mechanism in there to slide that shaft out

That's what i did. No need to split anything. An air gun makes taking the basket off easier but it's not a big deal.

It is similar to the water pump shaft seal, remove the shifter and pull the old seal out and replace the new seal. Oil it up and slide it in, if you dont have the right tools use a socket and be very easy.

its not hard just take the shifter off and make sure you wrape some tape or somthing around the grooves in the shaft or just be careful when you put the new seal on that you dont tear in on the grooves

It is an easy fix for sure, also re-route any vent hoses that go in front of the counter shaft sprocket. I have seen these wrap around the counter shaft and ruin the seal, i am guessing it could potentially do the same to the shift seal.