motor bogging

hi all,

I have just got myself a 2000 drz400e and when i got it the seller told me it was running a bit lean so he has covered the 3x3 hole up and now its down to about 1x1 (he only rode it twice in a year covering 30 miles) Went out for the first time on it and if you open the throttle quickly the motor bogs down its ok if you slowly wind the rev's up.

Don't really want to strip the carb down to see what the jetting is (limited knowledge) but if i have too what size jets am i looking for if i make it back to the 3x3 again , is it bogging down because of lack of air.

Thanks for your help.

Matt.

Sounds fat -- as in too rich.

Thanks for a quick reply

I am neither of them!!

But I will take of the cover and give it a go

Cheers.

If the mixture is too fat -- as in too much gas it will bog.

Read your spark plug

The best thing to do, if it doesn`t run good with the 3x3, is open up the carb.

It is not that hard. You can get nowhere with guessing the jetting. With the jetting discovered post it along with your altitude, and other mod`s. Then we can help.:thumbsup::moon:

Erling

cheers all

just dropped the plug and like you said it does look a bit wet.

I will go for a run tomorrow with the 3x3 open and see what happens.Will post after.

Could'nt wait i have now removed the carb the main jet is a 165. I am about sea level.

Matt

Could'nt wait i have now removed the carb the main jet is a 165. I am about sea level.

Matt

That`s too rich. I would try a 150 or 155. Remember you are only on the main close to and at wot. What is the pilot jet??? Should be a 22.5 or 25. Does the needle have any groves on the top for the clip...(adjustable)???

It comes with a stock 142.5 MJ and 22.5 PJ.

Did you ride it after the 3x3...before you took it apart???

Erling

If it has an FCR and an open exhaust then 165 is fine (for me anyway). I'd suggest he gives more info before deciding what to do?

Dan

If it has an FCR and an open exhaust then 165 is fine (for me anyway). I'd suggest he gives more info before deciding what to do?

Dan

Ups.........I assumed it was a new E with the bsr.....My jetting recomendations are for the Mikuni.....Not the fcr....

Sorry.

Erling

If you want to go cheap a 155 or 160 main depending on exhaust would be good with stock needle and the stock 45 pilot jet. A brass extended fuel screw sure is nice for tuning though. Some folks get creative and make their own. There is a lot of info in the jetting forum:thumbsup: Ian

a 160 or 165mj sounds right for you altitude(sealeval)it most likly has the stock needle in it which would require a bigger main jet than if you had an emn needle in it.when you got the bog were you riding it or was it in netural?if it was in netural then it will bog if you open the throttle quickly

Ups.........I assumed it was a new E with the bsr.....My jetting recomendations are for the Mikuni.....Not the fcr....

Sorry.

Erling

i believe the 2007e and later model(US)is the only e model that has the bsr.you can still get the e model with the fcr up in Canada
a 160 or 165mj sounds right for you altitude(sealeval)it most likly has the stock needle in it which would require a bigger main jet than if you had an emn needle in it.when you got the bog were you riding it or was it in netural?if it was in netural then it will bog if you open the throttle quickly

Is it a pretty standard thing that a bike will bog a little bit if in neutral and you open the throttle quickly? Even if you've got the jetting perfect?

Chris.

Is it a pretty standard thing that a bike will bog a little bit if in neutral and you open the throttle quickly? Even if you've got the jetting perfect?

Chris.

That bog can usually be minimized with the ap. circuit screw and or oring mod. If you all ready have done the oring mod, try to turn the screw in 1/2 turn....retest.....if still there....another half turn.

Erling

Well I got out today, after removing the cover on the air box it is running sweet. Found some mud and had a blast.

Thanks for all your support on this great site.

Matt..

Chris.

yes.the fcr carb has an acelerater pump on it and when you crack open the throttle in netural it pumps lots of fuel into the intake causing it to bog.now when theres a load on the motor that bog should be gone when the jetting is close to being spot on.