bike pops/jetting question

i have a question that i want to verify. my bike backfires after i let off the gas. like from full throttle, i let off and it pops. to jet correctly i need to go leaner correct? i have a stock 07kx450. and live in las vegas so it would need to be correctly jetted at about 2000ft elevation. Thanks

Popping on decel is a lean pilot jet circuit.If any thing you want to go richer not leaner.The 07 comes Stock with a 42 pilot jet which is good.Try richening up your fuel screw a 1/4 to half turn if you are on the standard 2 turns out and see if it goes away.It Should.Don't go more than three turns out.If not you will want to go up on the PJ.:thumbsup:

Decel popping can also be indicative of an air leak at the jug/header junction. If you can't get it solved w/ the pilot, apply some RTV sealant, let it sit for 24 hrs, then ride. That should solve your problem.

awesome guys thanks for the info.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Snowdude8
      Okay guys I could really use some help on this one, I've been diagnosing this bike for almost 2 months now without success. I've spent hours on the phone with a technician in Anchorage, time searching this forum, and in the manual as I live in an area of Alaska without a dealer/ tech.
      2012 KX450F set up for a Snow Bike kit I just bought this year haven't had one ride. 
      Problem after checking valve lash bike developed difficulty starting. (Here we go I've checked the valves they are good to go triple checked...., the bike runs fine the issue is starting.)
      At this point the only way I'm able to start the bike is by unplugging the capacitor and hooking up 12V battery, if I dont do this and allow the fuel pump to prime at least 1-3 times bike will not start.
      Things I have checked so far...
      Valves in spec
      Ignition Coil
      Fuel pump flow test in spec
      Fuel pump pressure test in spec
      Stator Magneto output in spec
      DFI self diagnostic gave a water temp sensor code (replaced and didnt solve)
      Fuel injector ohm tested in spec
      Voltage to Fuel injector in spec
      Crank sensor in spec
      ECM replaced (didnt solve problem)
      Regulator Rectifier 12-13V output which is not in Spec (14V-14.5V) but dont suspect that to cause this problem?
      Spark Plug replaced
      Capacitor tested passed OHMs test
      Ground to ECM in spec

I bought wiring harness, ECM, Capacitor, Regulator Rectifier, Ignition Coil that were taken off a running bike plugged and played did not solve problem. (I have not replaced the wiring harness with the one I bought)
      Whats your thoughts on what to test next? I've probably missed things I've checked at this point. My thought is to start back at the beginning this thing is really exhausting my patience. Anyone think I need to buy a new Regulator Rectifier based on the 12V-13V output. I've spent about 500$ on parts so far and hate to keep buying more if not needed.

Thanks in advance!

• By Gary Semics

Hitting your landing target is critical in motocross. It is also better for your health! Not only hitting your landing, but getting there quickly is also important. The two most common techniques regarding jumping are absorbing the take off to stay low and launching the take off to clear an obstacle, to make it to the landing.  
      If you like this riding tip, it's just the tip of the iceberg.  Get all the riding techniques and practice methods that will elevate your riding skills For REAL from our Motocross Techniques/Training DVDs or one of our three Instant Access Video On Demand Subscriptions.
      Here's a stop/slow motion riding video where I point out the important techniques:
      If you'd like more riding tips, be sure to click the "Follow this Bog" button in the upper right of the screen. Then you'll be automatically notified of my new entries.
      Gary
      Alpinestars
      Dunlop
      Fox
      Factory Connection
      Renthal
      Maxima
      Scott
      VP
      Wiseco
      Works Connection
      Black Ops Moto
      SDGSeats
      Ripped Vinyl
    • By Zorrostunts
      I just got done totally rebuilding a 2014 kx450f I mean all new everything on the inside of the motor. But now the bike won’t start on its own. But it will start with starting fluid and then it stays running untill you shut it off. Could my fuel pump be going out or could my ECU be bad? Iv had different people tell me different things. Bike also has a bit of a misfire when your trying to keep the throttle locked at a certain point. This is my first fuel injected dirtbike and I’m not sure what to check first and or how to check it. I put a lot of money into this bike and I just want it to run right. 
    • By aminem
      it seems they have totally different opinion that the other shoot outs . 

you can read the full article here : i like the way they described each bike
      http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2018-450cc-motocross-shootout

• By ScottCros
      Hello all,
      I currently live in Phoenix Arizona and I am having problems with my 2006 KX450F backfire. Its rides perfectly fine and has all the power in the world, does not lack on the responsive side at all. But whenever I engine break I pop A LOT. "Poppopopopopopopopopop" and its whenever I am slowing down after either going fast or slow. I want to know how to stop that, I understand that some popping is okay, but its a lot, spits fire sometimes after going fast.
      I am not sure what current jets I have in the bike, because the previous owner did not know, but I am thinking of going to a 180 main jet, 42 pilot, 55 leak jet (from 70 stock), throttle clip position 4th from the top, and 2 turns out on the fuel screw. I have heard a lot of people changing the leak jet from 70 to 55 helps a lot overall. I am not sure on what to use for the elevation wise on the jets.
      I have tried to lean and richen the fuel screw before but nothing has happened.
      Any suggestions of what I should do? Just thinking of getting JD Jetting kit and going from there.