DNA Wheels?

I need new rims for my bike (06 crf450r) and was looking through the classified adds and found a new set of dna wheels for $400. Thats pretty darn cheap for a set of wheels. How do these wheels compare to the stock set and how will they hold up on a 450? I tried to find a website for this company but couldnt really find anything. Any input would be appreciated!

Here is their site:

http://trydna.com/motox-atv.html

I'm not impressed with the product. I heard the results of a test done on these wheels where they were crushed to see how much pressure they could withstand before flattening - it was something like half the pressure that stock Excel wheels could take.

DNA has been slacking on getting my co-worker a set of wheels for his KLX for 3 months now. Every week it's a new excuse as to why his wheels haven't been shipped out.

That company is worthless in my opinion. Slackers with no desire to get the job done. I know that is a harsh opinion, but having spoken to them first hand, and having heard the excuses, I feel justified in sharing my honest opinion.

I have DNA rims and hubs and I love them, havnt had any problems with them at all.

I need new rims for my bike (06 crf450r) and was looking through the classified adds and found a new set of dna wheels for $400. Thats pretty darn cheap for a set of wheels. How do these wheels compare to the stock set and how will they hold up on a 450? I tried to find a website for this company but couldnt really find anything. Any input would be appreciated!

The stock CRF wheelset is superior to the chinese made DNA's. I've seen brand new stock CRF wheels sell for as little as $275 a set on ebay.

i have a set of black DNA rims with red hubs, they hold up just fine and i will recommend them to a weekend warrior like myself

The stock CRF wheelset is superior to the chinese made DNA's. I've seen brand new stock CRF wheels sell for as little as $275 a set on ebay.

Ive had two CRF rear wheels get bored out at the nipples. Simply replaced with Excels and problems never returned on either bike.

Ive had two CRF rear wheels get bored out at the nipples. Simply replaced with Excels and problems never returned on either bike.

If you stay on top of proper spoke tension when the wheel is new, you won't have that problem. If you let them get loose and continue to ride on it that way, it quickly ruins the rim. To give you an idea of just how good the stock DID rims are on the CRF, a good friend is a professional that is within 1 second of MDK KTM's Ryan Sipes and Wil Hahn on a spec SX track that was built by Chad Reed's track builder. His stock DID's are still holding up well after a few thousand SX laps in the last couple of months.

The Excel A60 is definitely the best rim in the world but they will break the bank.

I've heard the DNA's are weaker than the Excels.....if you aren't doing any hardcore jumps/bashing/thrashing then maybe the DNA's are for you... Personally, I purchased Excels after crashing my bike on a double and bending both front and rear stock Honda rims. I've been in a few good crashes since with the Excels and they haven't bent or dented whatsoever.

I know of a well known freestyle rider that just flat landed the crap out of a set and they didn't budge one bit. I know of many other local riders that ride them and love them.

DNA wheels come with a odd size hub, so if the bearings go bad, you need to send them back to get replaced, and you also must use their spacers because of the oddball set-up.:thinking:

I have a set on an 08 CRF 450. The front wheel spacers were 1mm short from matching the stock overall spacing. I put a 1mm washer under the spacer on the brake side to fix that. The rear wheel spacers are made fairly light out of what appears to be cheap and soft aluminum. Both spacers are being flared out where they set againts the bearings. In addition the spacer that is on the sprocket side is collasping into the elongated hole that the axle goes thru. The other side is backed by the caliper carrier so it is not bending. These wheels are 12 hours old used by a vet B MX rider. Expect to tighten the spokes every 15 min. at first and after break-in every hour of ride time. I have been torqueing the spokes front and rear at 70 in. lbs. I will be increasing that to see if I can get them to stay tight a little longer. DNA will not send me new spacers. They claim they will only deal with thier dealers. My dealer contacted them only to be told that we couldn't prove that my spacers were thiers. Did I metion that they weigh a ton more than the stockers. They claim lighter and stronger than stock BS!

what???Ive never heard any of this before, I never thought they would be heavier than stock...thanks for the info. So if I buy I set of these wheels, do I need different spacers?

DNA wheels are VERY STRONG! I have 2 sets and jump big everyday with them! I actually find them to be more resistant to bending than the Excels I used to run. The oversize spokes are a nice touch.. they are less likely to loosen up!

DNA wheels are VERY STRONG! I have 2 sets and jump big everyday with them! I actually find them to be more resistant to bending than the Excels I used to run. The oversize spokes are a nice touch.. they are less likely to loosen up!

I agree, my DNAs are pretty good, I like em.

I dont ride track, but I have hit big mountain rocks, and little rock wills doing 60 km/h. I will admit, my front rim ising 100% perfectly straight, more like 98 or so. but the rear rim it still perfect.

I am happy with my DNAs. I have had them for about 6 months now, all the spokes are still tight. but I dont jump the bike so...

what???Ive never heard any of this before, I never thought they would be heavier than stock...thanks for the info. So if I buy I set of these wheels, do I need different spacers?

You may get a set that is ok. DNA is currently redoing the spacers with anodized units while they are working on coming up with a stonger aluminum spacer. If you want to buy a set of these wheels I would recommend getting them from Todd at SLM Racing.:thumbsup: He is not the dealer I bought from but has always been helpful when I call. He has all the parts for these wheels in stock and is sending me new spacers. After the new stronger spacer comes in he will get me a set of them and hopefully that will solve my problem. However, it will be my money buying the new parts.

it must be an old problem.

I bought some DNAs in september 08 and the spacers worked just fine. I assume that thy fixed the spacer problem before september 08?