Gold valve

I want to improve my 650L's suspension. I weigh 235 and am 6'5". Tired of bottoming.

My riding is semi aggressive off road/desert riding.

There are two gold valve kits for my bike. Stage one and two.

Which would be my best bet?

hey martin there looks like there is some good info on the 650 here

:moon:

http://borynack.com/Honda%20XR650R%20Suspension%20ww1.doc

Oh yeah, I know Bruce. I even rode his kick but 650R once.:thumbsup:

Except the L (mine) and the R forks are slightly different. The L's have no rebound rod, only compression is adjustable.

So I wonder with heavier springs, which gold valve kit for my type of riding?

i would try the springs first and up the oil amount a tad, you might find it works decent.

Where do you see that there are 2 gold valve kits for your bike?

Where do you see that there are 2 gold valve kits for your bike?

When I went to my local dealer, his catalog had a listing for Stage's one and two gold valve kits.

The second one was recommended for heavier riders, MX and SX riding. Which is kind of funny for a 650L.

What can I expect to gain from a gold valve kit on a set of forks that offer no real rebound adjustment? I understand the gold valve kit is for compression in this application, but how does it change compression, and which kit should I use?

There's only ONE kit available for the 650L,you will need to spring it for your weight,and set the valves for your riding style.

i would try the springs first and up the oil amount a tad, you might find it works decent.

I have a friend that weighs 230ish and just went to heavier springs(front and rear) more oil and they work great! I have ridden this bike on sandy trails and fireroads and the forks really are plush and stable:ride:

Is that to many "and`s"?

If you just do the Gold Valves your bottoming will likely get worse. You very likely need to revalve and respring if you are 6'5".