why does the stock exhaust sound funny w/o baffle?

Why does the stock exhaust of the 230f/150f sound weird, like it's screaming in the high end without the baffle? What makes it so different from aftermarket exhausts that sound good and deep while still being loud?

I like the sound of the stock exhaust w/o baffle, but i just always wondered what's going on inside to make it sound like that. I noticed the power-up kit made it sound a little smoother and deep, but not a ton.

and does ExploringWA's short can mod make it sound any different?

The 230F has a "reactive muffler" (or Reflect technology muffler). All the after market use "dissipative mufflers" which use porous materials (fiberglass) to absorb the sound.

The 230/150F muffler has a couple large baffles that reflect the sound back cancelling some of the oncoming sound. It's actually higher tech than any of the after market stuff which is all the same.

I like the 230 muffler over any of the aftermarket cans with fiberglass in them.

I thought ExploringWA shortened muffler might be too loud but it was not much different than the stock can when I heard it & rode it. I will do this mod some time in the near future.

The large diameter Poweroll header can give you decrease in backpressure & retain the stock can if you're looking for more performance at higher rpm.

You can google "reactive muffler" if you want more info on it.

:thumbsup:

-Steve

The 230F has a "reactive muffler" (or Reflect technology muffler). All the after market use "dissipative mufflers" which use porous materials (fiberglass) to absorb the sound.

The 230/150F muffler has a couple large baffles that reflect the sound back cancelling some of the oncoming sound. It's actually higher tech than any of the after market stuff which is all the same.

I like the 230 muffler over any of the aftermarket cans with fiberglass in them.

I thought ExploringWA shortened muffler might be too loud but it was not much different than the stock can when I heard it & rode it. I will do this mod some time in the near future.

The large diameter Poweroll header can give you decrease in backpressure & retain the stock can if you're looking for more performance at higher rpm.

You can google "reactive muffler" if you want more info on it.

:thumbsup:

-Steve

wow, thanks. That's cool stuff to know!