2002 and 2005 CR 250

Does anyone know any way to easily tell the difference between the 2002 and 2005 cr 250 other then vin numbers or stock graphics. I would like to be able to tell just by looking at something without having to take the bike apart.

The easiest way to tell, is the front number plate. The '02 has a bolt that runs thru the front of the plate, into the triple clamp. The '05 has a small tab on the backside of the plate, and a bolt that runs into the top of the triple clamp.

Thank you. Would a 05 still have the hole to put the bolt through the front?

The number plate on it is aftermarket with the tab on the back and the bolt goes in from the top but there is a hole on the front of the triple clamp also. So im wondering if maybe the hole on top was just drilled out and threaded.

From the factory, the '05 only has a hole on top, and the '02 will have a small post that sticks out about 1/2" on the front, with a tapped hole in it.

If the bike appears to be stock, then the '05 has a gripper seat, and the '02 doesn't.

The surefire way to tell what it is, is by the cylinder. The castings are quite different.

http://www.yamahaoftroy.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

You can look at the drawings of the two different cyclinders, and tell the differences.

As i was starting to suspect the guy i got the bike from lied to me its an 02 not 05. Thanks for your help.

yeah the exhaust on my 02 is over the exhaust valve and on my friends 05 it is into the exhaust valve. also look at the clutch perch if it is stock it should have a rubberized quick adjust. also the 02's came with nasty steel bars and the 05's came with black and silver renthals.

I concur about inspecting the exhaust pipe inlet end mating to the cylinder head if you want to verify that the motor is an '05 vs. an '02. The '05 pipe will have a male end (w/ o-ring) going inside of the cylinder's female end.

Thanks guys, The bike is an 02.

I concur about inspecting the exhaust pipe inlet end mating to the cylinder head if you want to verify that the motor is an '05 vs. an '02. The '05 pipe will have a male end (w/ o-ring) going inside of the cylinder's female end.

Yep, that made the 05-07 motor different from the 02-04.:thumbsup:

Doesn't the tag on the frame near the forks for Hondas sate the year of the bike?

Doesn't the tag on the frame near the forks for Hondas sate the year of the bike?

thats what i was thinking. both my hondas state the year and model clear as day on the left side of the frame. if its not there than someone is hiding something:busted:

Yea that tag was not there on the bike. I got the guy that traded me to trade back so everything is good now. He said he was told the bike was an 05 when he got it and never looked into it. Who knows if he was telling the truth or not but he made things right so i have no complaints.

Also u can check if it has TPS (throttle position sensor) on the carb, that's from 04+ i think.

Isnt the number plate from 04 that has a small tab on the backside of the plate, and a bolt that runs into the top of the triple clamp?

is the number plate the same 04+?