wr400 suggestions, comments...

First post and never had a thumper, so please be easy.

Im looking into a 99 400 and probably will buy this afternoon. Ive read and searched about it and it seems like a great bike. But would like to hear suggestions regarding how it would fit me. Im 5'8" and 160lbs. Was wondering if what kind of suspension tweaking will need to be done.

Currently I ride a 1200gs on fire roads and would like to venture into the technical areas. 98% of trails are 1-2hrs on highway. Putting a hitch carrier on my cherokee is an option, but would rather ride the bike to the trail. Ive read about changing sprockets for highway and trail use but is that something that can be done easily at the trail head.

These are my main concerns that I can think of regarding this or any other bike I looked at (klx300). If anyone can think of other concerns, please let me know.

Thanks

First off, is the WR street legal? I have a plated WR and I wouldn't ride it an hour to a trail. I have done dual sport events on it, and after 5-10 miles on the highway I'm ready to get back into the dirt. Your best bet would be to truck it out to the trail head or get a more street worthy dual sport bike like a DRZ400S or KLR650 if you're planning on two hours of street riding.

Other than that, the WR400F is a great machine. Mine has been very reliable and fun. Good luck.

Legal and plated. He also has a green sticker on it? I thought if its street legal it shouldn't require a sticker?

Thanks but is more likely I will be trucking it to the trails.

Some people like to keep the green sticker, then they can take the street gear (lights, etc) off the bike for off-road only areas.

Enjoy!

Legal and plated. He also has a green sticker on it? I thought if its street legal it shouldn't require a sticker?

Thanks but is more likely I will be trucking it to the trails.

You are correct. A plated bike does not require a green sticker. If it has both then it is "dual registered". I have both on my 02 426 and don't mind paying for the green sticker in addition to the plate in hopes the funds are used to keep more riding areas open!

Cheers!

Well I bought the bike. Cant ride it though. Further tweaking necessary. Don't know what Im doing but I have it naked in my garage. So far the faults I've found are: broken brake light switch (part ordered), chain missing the clip (fell apart in my hands), air filter had 2 melted holes (replaced), Petcock on= fuel leaking from carb), idle needs adjusting,throttle cable sticking, oil needs changing, brake fluid needs flushing...

I think Im happy with it but until it runs, wont know for sure.

Thanks for the replies.

You Will Love This Bike. I Have The Same Bike Set Up With Baja Design Kit And More Aggressive Tires. The Kenda 760 Trackmaster Rock For Street And Dirt, But Mostly Dirt. I Love Riding Mine Up Canyons To The Trails. I Just Put On A Fmf Q4 Pipe With The Power Bomb, I Would Highly Recommend This. I Also Removed The Throttle Limiter And I Did The Gray Wire Mod. The Bike Will Come A Live If You Do These Mods. Enjoy The New Ride.

I Also Wanted You To Know That My Throttle Cable Broke After A Couple Of Years Of Use. Take The Cover Off And Check Your Cable At The Carb. There Are Two Bolts, One Is Hiding So Down Break The Cover Off. If You Find That The Cable Is Frayed, That Could Be Why The Throttle Sticks. I've Rund Four Pipes On My Bike Over The Years And The New Q4 Is The Best So Far. The Mid Range Pulls Real Nicely. Out Of The Turns It Jumps Nice And Hard All He Way To The Top End.

Looks like someone painted the frame white? it came blue.

Get a new chain and sprockets if needed.

Get an repair manual and check the valves before you put it back together.

Change the oil

Lube the suspension and steering head bearings

Clean the carb

The forks may be a little stiff for you if they have not been revalved.

Go riding.

Thanks guys. Been getting to know it quite well. Frame was powder coated by owner and all the plastic on it is white. Had a guy come over to clean out the carb and he said it's aftermarket. Also has a power bomb but the exhaust is yamaha but not stock. These are some things that I noticed and has been pointed out to me. The bike now runs but will need a chain clip.

The mechanic saw that the rear tire is BIG! 140/80. The part next to the chain has been chewed. He thinks that might be the culprit for the missing chain clip. That would suck because I bought the bike with a set of knobbies that has a 140/80 rear also (Pirelli Rallycross).

It is a bitch to start. I just learned that filter needs oil and seat needs to be on because it changes the AF mixture...sure! As long as I can start it.

Sprockets are all good. Just need to change the oil and put the chain clip on and its good to go. Hoping to ride it Saturday ?

Was able to take it out today for a morning ride. Don't really know much how a dirt bike should feel but I was happy with it. Bike was starting at first kick (usually). No drippings were observed.

Only problem I have with it is getting off of it. I tend to tip over since it is so freaking tall. I need help with setting up this suspension.

But over all..:bonk:

thanks

Only problem I have with it is getting off of it. I tend to tip over since it is so freaking tall. I need help with setting up this suspension.

I set the rear sag on my WR400 at 110mm and raised the fork tubes up 15mm to lower the seat height somewhat. I was afraid that the rear would be too soft by taking some tension off the spring, but that was not the case, the bike handles better and turns better than it did when the settings were standard.

Not to get too personal Creeky, but how tall are you? Actually what is your inseam?

I believe my sag is 110. That was my rough calculation since I didnt have anyone around to measure for me. I noticed the recommendation in the manual was 90-100mm. Being over the recommendation and being a lighter than average rider I have no problem with this setting. But I would like a reference as to how far you lowered your fork clamps.

Thanks

BTW heres what it looks like put together. Sorry no real world pics yet. Im a loaner.

photo-1.jpg

Not to get too personal Creeky, but how tall are you? Actually what is your inseam?

I would like a reference as to how far you lowered your fork clamps.

Thanks

[/img]

I am 5' 10", 180#, 31" inseam. There is a line circumscribed on the top of the fork tube just below the fork cap that should be just showing above the top clamp to obtain standard fork height. I raised the tubes in the clamps so that the line is 15mm above the top clamp. I also tried 20mm above the clamps, bike seemed a little twitchy at speed, lowered the forks back down. Nice looking bike.:bonk:

I have a 34" inseam. Now add boots. And I still stand on the left peg when getting on and off of the bike. :-D

~Patrick