running gear saver bad for the tranny

I been running diesel oil in the tranny for the past 3 years on an rmx 250, then last week I put in sum of that gear saver, and all hell brecks loose in there, the plates were slipping bad, and broke 6 fins off the clutch basket.

I been running diesel oil in the tranny for the past 3 years on an rmx 250, then last week I put in sum of that gear saver, and all hell brecks loose in there, the plates were slipping bad, and broke 6 fins off the clutch basket.
that seems odd that the gear saver made your clutch slip and break the basket. ive used gear saver for many years and never had clutch problems. did you ever check your clutch plates and basket in the past three years? if you didnt do any maintenance to your clutch,no wonder it broke. it wasnt the gear saver that did it.:thumbsup:

What is gear saver? Friction modifier like is used in limited slip differentials?

Bel-ray gear saver, comes in 80w 85w and 90w I think. It is made for dirt bike trannys and rear ends. But I always use ATF type F.

80-95w is pretty heavy for a gearbox. I'd stick with regular motor oil (or ATF if you're so inclined.)

I inspect the bike 4 times a year and the plate are well within limit. i have never had a problem with it till I put the "GS" in i rode that day with the diesel oil and warmed the bike up, changed it to the "GS" and not even 5 mins into the ride its slipping like crazy

did you use 80 or 85, which is the stuff for dirt bike trans? or did you use hypoid oil that was for rear ends? I've used Bel Ray 80w gear saver for years without any issues.... if you used the hypoid oil by mistake, that could have been the deal

Did you really mean this?

SXCLUTCHSAVER.jpg

http://www.motobloc.com/servlet/the-39/Spectro-SX-Clutch-Saver/Detail

Or Bel-Ray Gear Saver?

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/Bel-Ray-Lubricants-GR-SVR-TR-OIL-80W-1L-93200-BT1-p/tr44-4060.htm

In either case I really do not believe that the oil itself was at fault. One thing to consider is metal fatigue. More directly ~ unless you did something that actually caused the clutch to blow out, I suspect that no matter what oil you used, your clutch was going to fail the next time you rode it.

And just out of curiosity, why do you check your clutch so often? And is it possible that you might have not reinstalled it correctly when you did your last inspection? I'm not questioning your mechanical abilities but accidents do happen.

Also consider that one thing that Suzuki use to do (along with all the other OEM's) is to install light springs in their clutches in order to get a light pull at the lever. So when you get your new clutch kit, be sure to order one that included heavy duty springs. The pull really isn't that much more especially with a good (or new) clutch cable.

In the end I would say that it cannot be the direct fault of the oil. Because a lot of people use this oil every day with out a problem.

I just looked up the Bel-Ray Gear Saver. They say the 80w is comparable to a 10w-40, so I doubt that caused the basket to break. Something else went wrong.

I never liked the Belray Gearsaver. The Rotella 15w40 you are using is fine especially when it is hot out. In cooler weather run something a little lighter.

The Zook stock basket and clutch suck a$$. Go and buy the Moose basket and the EBC dirt racer KIT. The Moose is the same exact basket as the Hinson with a different name stamped on it and $50 cheaper.