will a lawnmower run on its side?

Im planning on making a honda z50 (frame) project. Using a lawnmower motor. But will a lawnmower run on its side thats assuming i mod the carb to run horizontally? Will all parts get necessary lubrication? Its a briggs and stratton 3.5hp.

Probaley not. Get a snowblower motor thats what powers my mini bike.

The reason i say about the lawnmower is because i have one sitting in my garage.. I totally blanked out thinknig about the valve system on a lanwmower... Because i cant think of which side the valve train is on (timing chain?? lifter?) i cant think

It will starve for oil and lock up.

yea my dad was talking about it onetime he was saying you cant do it.. sorry dont know why but yea hes an engineer so ill just say no lol

A vertical shaft engine is only designed to run with the crank vertically. If the engine were a 2S one, then you could run it any direction (some Lawn Boys, any chain saw). 4S lawnmower engines use gears to run the cam. Finally, the engine design is a side valve aka flat head design.

2nded for oil starvation if it's a 4 stroke. The oil has to remain at the bottom of the sump so pump will pump oil through the main bearings and into the lifters through the push rods and lubricating the valve train and the crank will splash oil onto the cam and into the cylinders. If it's a 2 stroke go for it. You have to modify the intake to make sure that the carb is at the angle it's supposed to be, i.e. down draft keep the carb pointing up or if it's a side draft keep the carb pointing to the side.

^^^+1

I had to tip a lil push mower over to clean the blade and I flooded it out.

It was only on an angle not upside down or anything. So yeah get the right motor for the job.

2nded for oil starvation if it's a 4 stroke. The oil has to remain at the bottom of the sump so pump will pump oil through the main bearings and into the lifters through the push rods and lubricating the valve train and the crank will splash oil onto the cam and into the cylinders.

Many 4 stroke flatheads are splash lubricated with a dipper on the connecting rod, no oil pump to speak of. Regardless, don't change the orientation of the crank... if it's a vertical crank engine it needs to remain vertical to run.

+like 10 to everything they've said...

the dry-sump oil system would not circulate the oil correctly, make 1 side of the engine be oil-starved