Broken chain tension bolt!

I changed my tire the other night and to my horror the chain tension bolt on the sprocket side of the swingarm snapped off inside.:thumbsup: I don't know how it became so hard to turn as I have never completely removed this bolt cuz there is no need to when changing the tire, so there is no way it would have become cross threaded. I know I will have to drill to remove this mess. Does anyone have any suggestions as of what to do after I drill it out. I will have to drill out @ least a 1/2 inch hole to remove the mess I made rigging it to work for the next day as I had a race. It held but I don't think it will hold for very long. I want to fix it the right way. I need feed back!:moon:

mine was so hard to turn it almost smoked when i was cranking it out.. so i called suzuki and guess what? they told me removing those bolts and putting grease on them every so ofter are periodical maintenance so imagine that!

so, i took both out and greases em real good then went back in with ease.. im going to install a new x ring chain in the spring... so good luck to me on that :bonk:

I changed my tire the other night and to my horror the chain tension bolt on the sprocket side of the swingarm snapped off inside.:bonk: I don't know how it became so hard to turn as I have never completely removed this bolt cuz there is no need to when changing the tire, so there is no way it would have become cross threaded. I know I will have to drill to remove this mess. Does anyone have any suggestions as of what to do after I drill it out. I will have to drill out @ least a 1/2 inch hole to remove the mess I made rigging it to work for the next day as I had a race. It held but I don't think it will hold for very long. I want to fix it the right way. I need feed back!:bonk:

Don't drill just yet! Take the swingarm off and bring it to a machine shop if you are not confident. You can really screw stuff up if you don't do this correctly.

Get a GOOD penetrating oil, IE AeroKroil. Soak soak soak for days! Use the heat of a propane torch. Drill a small hole in the bolt and use an EZout (high quality one, if it breaks in the bolt you are way screwed) and see if you can get the bolt out. If the EZout breaks it is time for the EDM from the machine shop.

Good advice above. Take off the swingarm and bring it to a local machine shop. drilling out the bolt straight with a hand drill is next to impossible. Worst case you could get the kit (Swingarm buddy I think its called?) where you drill the bolt out and a metal plate replaces the threads. I'm not a big fan of this but they do work....just doesn't look quite factory if you know what I mean. I have a machine shop and we have drilled out stripped pilot jets in carburetors for people without ruining the existing threads so a swingarm would be very easy if removed from the bike.

I am well past the point of an extractor. I don't think an extractor of any sort would have worked, it was pretty much welded in there.....seriously. I will definately have to take it to a machine or drill it out myself. This all took place the night b4 a race and as I was trying get it to work so I could race @ 9:30am the next morning I broke off another bolt in the swingarm right below the existing......It's kind of a mess:banghead: I did order the swingarm buddy to see if this would fix the problem..

I am well past the point of an extractor. I don't think an extractor of any sort would have worked, it was pretty much welded in there.....seriously. I will definately have to take it to a machine or drill it out myself. This all took place the night b4 a race and as I was trying get it to work so I could race @ 9:30am the next morning I broke off another bolt in the swingarm right below the existing......It's kind of a mess:banghead: I did order the swingarm buddy to see if this would fix the problem..

With the proper use of heat and skill, an extractor may work.

Machine shop or eBay a used swingarm.

Man its ugly when that happens, i had one seize many years ago in a cr250, it took the engineers i left the swingarm with 4 hours to remove!!!! luckily they knew my uncle well & they only charged for an hour.

In the end the thread was munted & they helicoiled it.

Anyway from then on with every new bike i make sure to pull those suckers out & cover them with anti-seize.

If anyone reading this hasn't done it yet get out to the garage & do it now!