WR450F motard/road gearing

Guys,

I'm wondering what the latest concensus on gearing for 17" wheels (60 profile) on a WR450F is to suit on-road use.

I have 14/45 on mine. Only done about 10km so far so I'm still not sure how I like it.

I want the bike to cruise comfortably at 110km/h without over-revving. With no tacho it's hard to get an accurate feel for it.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Greg

I'm not really sure how fast your km reading is but , with the 15 I'm at 6200 with 14 all but 7000 at 65 mph ,I swap back and forth between 15/45 and the snappier 14/45 gearing on mine . the 15 does cruise better but the 14 wheelies better . it's a tough call. it really depends on how fast you average speed is . I run mine a bit over the normal cruising speeds so the higher 15 brings my rpm's down a bit with out killing the power . May I suggest that you get a vapor for on your bike it is much closer to right the the yamaha computer and has many more fuctions including a tach , engine temp ,air temp . lap timer , clock , shift lights , and temp warning lights . to name some of them . all for a hundred bucks or so . it's much better knowing how hot the bike is when you hit traffic

Guys,

I'm wondering what the latest concensus on gearing for 17" wheels (60 profile) on a WR450F is to suit on-road use.

I have 14/45 on mine. Only done about 10km so far so I'm still not sure how I like it.

I want the bike to cruise comfortably at 110km/h without over-revving. With no tacho it's hard to get an accurate feel for it.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Greg

No fair Greg. Where in Australia are ya because im keeping an eye out for a Yamaha WR450F but an older one that hopefully is cheaper. What sort of prices do you think i should be looking at for one with say 4000km and an 03/04/05 model? Also how do you like our Yamaha WR450F? Is it well suited to the motard type over here? I gotta get me self one soon hopefully. Also how many km's yours done so far and you experienced any problems etc? How often oil changes etc? Because i always read about these bikes having rebuilds at only like 5000km's? Why the hell on earth, are they mistreated or raced because i would think if the bike cruises at say 110km/h at only say 6000rpm out of like what ever the max is of say 10000rpm or 11000rpm? it would last for ever? What gives? Also what parts break first eg the starter motors?

Thanks for any info you can share and how i made some sense

Matt

Matt,

Rather than go off-topic and annoy everyone I'll send you a PM.

Greg

I am running 15/45 on my 2007 WR450f with the 17" SUMO wheels. Cruises nice at 55 to 65 mph.

15 44 with 17s. i can cruise at 60mph right around 6500. Make your life easier get your self a vapor computer. its the best investment i have ever done.

Check out http://www.gearingcommander.com/ for some idea of what RPM/speed you're running. Just make sure to adjust the rear tire size, and verify the gear ratios.

15-41 17's

55-60 bout 5500 rpm

yes get a vapor

i can get 110 mph without being scarried, but over that you need a steering stabilizer

I'm running 14/40 with 17's.... I think this was a bit to far and am thinking of going up a couple on the rear. Besides I think the high gearing is accentuating the 4000 to 5000 rpm surge issue.

The Vapor is a must!!!!

I'm running 14/40 with 17's.... I think this was a bit to far and am thinking of going up a couple on the rear. Besides I think the high gearing is accentuating the 4000 to 5000 rpm surge issue.

The Vapor is a must!!!!

Explain this issue please?

Thanks

Matt

Not sure what clarification you are looking for Matt??? The issue that the lower RMP's due to gearing, with a heavier load could be contributing to the surging issue.... The surging issue it's self.... or just how good an addition the viper is for $100.....

Not sure what clarification you are looking for Matt??? The issue that the lower RMP's due to gearing, with a heavier load could be contributing to the surging issue.... The surging issue it's self.... or just how good an addition the viper is for $100.....

Really you already geared to high at only 14/40 i would of thought that would be ok as thats only 40/14=2.86 ratio. This bike is uncorked etc right? So what just not enough power? What speed/throttle this occurring at?

Just trying to learn about these WR's as i got a whittle Honda XR250 and well i cant wait till i can afford a WR450F :thumbsup:

Thanks

Matt