Need help finding a piston for a 1978 dt125

I just picked up a basket case dt125 for $50 and am going to start rebuilding it but want to try to do it as cheap as possible. It needs a new oversized piston and I have been looking on ebay and have found a few but the ones for this year seem to be harder to find. Does any one know if a piston out of an earlier year dt125 will fit (pre 1976). The earler ones have a different part number but look the same, does any body know if it will work. Thanks

seems to me piston for those old DT"s are cheap new.Dont spend too much time looking for used or e-bay...from memory part # 2n4-11635(.25)2n4-11636(.50) etc...

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-DT125-DT125MX-DT125E-DT-125-0-50-PISTON-KIT_W0QQitemZ260302713719QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item260302713719&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

I found this one under International ebay sellers, it looks like you would spend around $40, not to bad.

I did notice what you said and there sure does seem to be alot more pistons for the earlier years of the DT's.

It actually looks like you can get new pistons from Yamaha but they look to be over a $100.00 plus the rings, that's at minimum double what you paid for the bike.

Good luck!

Wow thats exactly what I'm looking for. I just bought it, thanks a lot.

Wow thats exactly what I'm looking for. I just bought it, thanks a lot.

Cool! keep us informed with your progress:thumbsup:

Oem piston in Canada is $38.75 2a6-1163*

the update part# 2n4-11630 kits are $75.40

are the late 70's model dt's worth anything in regards to rarity, collectibility, historical significance?

are the late 70's model dt's worth anything in regards to rarity, collectibility, historical significance?

You know I've seen different answers on that, I think late 60's early seventys for the most part are more rare but there is quite a following of mid 70's DT400 people. I have 71 RT1 but I like all the RT and DT series! Just great bikes.:banana: