09 Honda valving

Did anyone get or come up with a good offroad stack for the front forks? The forks haven't been too bad for me, but they're kind of abusive in the small stuff and a bit deflective in the rocks. I read that speeding up the rebound might help a bit, any insight?

Depending on your weight you might want to try some .48 fork springs the

stockers are .46 to light for most riders. I put .48 springs in mine night & day

difference with the heavier springs you can back your compression off a

couple of clicks and a much plusher ride. Good LUCK.

Depending on your weight you might want to try some .48 fork springs the

stockers are .46 to light for most riders. I put .48 springs in mine night & day

difference with the heavier springs you can back your compression off a

couple of clicks and a much plusher ride. Good LUCK.

Bingo!:thumbsup:

They are very harsh. You didn't mention if it is a 250 or 450 and if it is an X or R. The answer is yes, I have stack that is in the Forks the #1 plates in 250 and Open in D 37 and a M1 National H&H plate.

IMHO after building my first '09 this weekend my feelings are that it comes pretty unbalanced in stock form. The back wants to overpower the frt. making the forks feel harsh.

The forks have a large MV float (soft) and stiff basevalve stack. Not the way to go in my mind. I did these at the race so time was somewhat of an issue but after letting the forks drain as long as I could, came up with only 275-300cc's of oil which I feel is a little low. That combined with the valving is "ok" but harsh.....

Thats why stiffer springs will feel better, not let the forks blow through so fast. Fix the valving and oil issues and the .46's will work better for many unless of course your weight warrants them stiffer.

The rear valving is pretty stout both comp and reb. Soften them up some and stiffen the frt. and my initial thoughts are that once this bike gets dialed in it might handle better with the KYB's than the recent Showas......

doc

IMHO after building my first '09 this weekend my feelings are that it comes pretty unbalanced in stock form. The back wants to overpower the frt. making the forks feel harsh.

The forks have a large MV float (soft) and stiff basevalve stack. Not the way to go in my mind. I did these at the race so time was somewhat of an issue but after letting the forks drain as long as I could, came up with only 275-300cc's of oil which I feel is a little low. That combined with the valving is "ok" but harsh.....

Thats why stiffer springs will feel better, not let the forks blow through so fast. Fix the valving and oil issues and the .46's will work better for many unless of course your weight warrants them stiffer.

The rear valving is pretty stout both comp and reb. Soften them up some and stiffen the frt. and my initial thoughts are that once this bike gets dialed in it might handle better with the KYB's than the recent Showas......

doc

Have you thought about lowering the rear with a spacer in the shock? i think some of the other companies are doing this.

Have you thought about lowering the rear with a spacer in the shock? i think some of the other companies are doing this.

Any idea which company`s are doing this? I thought this was mostly a KTM thing.(2003/2004/2005 era)

Very interesting..... but firmer springs will suffice along with softer shock valving as""Doc" suggests.

Perhaps install a crossover in the shocks compression stack for woods.

Yes, I looked at that when I had it apart but you will probably need a shorter shock spring since there isn't a lot of threads left to back the preload nuts off if you shorten it.

doc

Shockdoc,

I was thinking about your comment on the comp being stiff on the shock.

I realize it is a single stage and maybe that has more of an effect than I realize. Comparing the stack to the 50mm piston showas they have used in the past the comp stack starts off close to the same then has a lot less HS. It uses .20s not .30s and skips from 30mm down to 26mm. I am in no way doubting what you are saying. I am just trying to understand the difference.

Thanks in advance for your time!!!!!

any shock that uses a 2 stage stack will have stiffer shims in the hs part, as the low shims will have to bend over the crossover to hit them, that means the low speed shims are doing a fair bit of the work with less support(from the hs stack) than a single stage, so you need a more beefy high speed stack, otherwise by the time its used it wont have much of a effect.

any shock that uses a 2 stage stack will have stiffer shims in the hs part, as the low shims will have to bend over the crossover to hit them, that means the low speed shims are doing a fair bit of the work with less support(from the hs stack) than a single stage, so you need a more beefy high speed stack, otherwise by the time its used it wont have much of a effect.

Exactly...plus this is a KYB and not Showa and I'm sure the port and piston designs/flow rates are different so its like comparing apples to oranges

Gotta keep in mind tho this was only my first '09 450 so I'm sure as we test and start working with them more my ideas and how I set them up will change some.

doc

Thanks Guys. Makes prefect sense. Now I know!