Interesting comparison

It's an interesting situation to watch what a real skilled professional can make this little 230F do. I was riding with a group of guys today. One of them has a totally tricked out Honda 125 2 stroke. That things is fast as lightening and jumps like it has wings! It's also matched to a pro rider that has skills most of us only dream of.

During the trail ride and also in an area where we could jump, and climb steep hills, this fella asks me if he could ride my bike for a little bit. He was a bit condesending saying he wants to get his girlfriend a bike and this 230 looks like a good bike for her. ..... Oh thanks, another "girly bike" comment!

So he gets on and rips up a hill I would never have considered. About 2/3 of the way up I expeced it to stall and die. He flys up to the top edge and into the air then turns and comes back down the same way! He jumps a small hill and lands going through the air about 6 feet high and for about 15-20 feet, then donuts around and wheelies back to the jump and hits it again. By this time many of us are watching him rather then riding ourselves. He slowly putt putts backup to me and says, Wow surprising ride, never figured it for this much capability. It's probably too much for my wife, maybe I should get her a 150. He says that he never expected it to ride as nice, and finished with this comment "put a works shock on the back of this thing and its near perfect for this kinda stuff".

I guess a great level of skill makes up for a smaller lower powered bike. I know I could ride the best bike in the whole world and never manage the stunts and skills he does just taking them for granted.

I do have a whole new appreciation for the 230f now, it's got the capability if you have the nerve and skills!

99% rider..1% bike....I ride my tricked out 150f with YZ250s and 450s and take any hill with them in tow..I am no expert but have ridden for 30+ years,all types of bike ,and still vintage race MX on a 74 CR250M Elsinore,I wait for them at the cross roads on the single track stuff,they have too much wheel spin and too high center of gravity to haul ass in the tight stuff,I am sure on the SX track I would be toast...but again it will depend on whos riding the bike

99% rider..1% bike....I ride my tricked out 150f with YZ250s and 450s and take any hill with them in tow..I am no expert but have ridden for 30+ years,all types of bike ,and still vintage race MX on a 74 CR250M Elsinore,I wait for them at the cross roads on the single track stuff,they have too much wheel spin and too high center of gravity to haul ass in the tight stuff,I am sure on the SX track I would be toast...but again it will depend on whos riding the bike

man that was well said..........i too ride a tricked out 150f in the same type of stuff......its not about tons of power .about landing 10'' ft high jumps., ...its about real time decision making and finding the best line when you dont know what coming next......its about setup. a good susp for off roading is alot softer than you would want for mx....its about control.....a lot of power where you can't use it is sometimes a liability . its about smooth power with low end and a susp that doesnt beat you to death on the smaller sharper stuff......cuz thats what we deal with mostly in the woods..........this gives you alot of control......and the smaller 150 gives you a bike that handles quickly and has a lower center of gravity which is better for low speed handling.......and with a modded engine, not overly fast but enough power to do the job well if you can ride........and , you are also right that this setup would not fair well on an mx track......2 totally different worlds......the 230 is a great woods bike but, ......i prefer the smaller 150f with a built engine that cranks out about what a 230 does..... slightly better for the really tight stuff that i ride. it works best for me. .....but like the 230 better for overall trail riding....i dont race anymore but have also raced and have ridden a lot of different bikes in my time including the older cr's you talk about...great bikes for their time.. ....I have an old cr open bike in my garage i restored last year..........but like you said, if you can ride, you can make about anything work...............jls

jls

It's an interesting situation to watch what a real skilled professional can make this little 230F do. I was riding with a group of guys today. One of them has a totally tricked out Honda 125 2 stroke. That things is fast as lightening and jumps like it has wings! It's also matched to a pro rider that has skills most of us only dream of.

During the trail ride and also in an area where we could jump, and climb steep hills, this fella asks me if he could ride my bike for a little bit. He was a bit condesending saying he wants to get his girlfriend a bike and this 230 looks like a good bike for her. ..... Oh thanks, another "girly bike" comment!

So he gets on and rips up a hill I would never have considered. About 2/3 of the way up I expeced it to stall and die. He flys up to the top edge and into the air then turns and comes back down the same way! He jumps a small hill and lands going through the air about 6 feet high and for about 15-20 feet, then donuts around and wheelies back to the jump and hits it again. By this time many of us are watching him rather then riding ourselves. He slowly putt putts backup to me and says, Wow surprising ride, never figured it for this much capability. It's probably too much for my wife, maybe I should get her a 150. He says that he never expected it to ride as nice, and finished with this comment "put a works shock on the back of this thing and its near perfect for this kinda stuff".

I guess a great level of skill makes up for a smaller lower powered bike. I know I could ride the best bike in the whole world and never manage the stunts and skills he does just taking them for granted.

I do have a whole new appreciation for the 230f now, it's got the capability if you have the nerve and skills!

alot of us ride these bikes because they are really good and dependable for the kind of riding we we bought them for .....not because we cant ride anything else......ive owned my share of high performance bikes but these f model crf's are great tools for what they were built for.

Anyone see the video of Ivan Tedesco smoking one of the Fox employees. Ivan was on a XL650 and the Fox employee on a new CRF450. It was really funny when Ivan started honking the horn for the guy to get outta his way!

It's an interesting situation to watch what a real skilled professional can make this little 230F do. . .

. . .I do have a whole new appreciation for the 230f now, it's got the capability if you have the nerve and skills!

:thumbsup: Could I race a 230 (with lots of nerve and skills) and still be competitive?

:thumbsup: Could I race a 230 (with lots of nerve and skills) and still be competitive?

it depends on what racing and your skill level. You probably wont beat all bikes with similar displacement but you definitely wont be far behind.

I’ve been trying to find time to ride, but it’s been impossible. I forced myself to go out. Yeah, it’s that bad. I’m just really busy these days. Anyway, I went out and you know what? I guess I forgot how much fun it is to ride!!! I had a ball. I even found a bunch of new trails. While riding, it made me think of why the 150F is a better bike over the 150R.

If you are a full-on racer, the 150R is the way to go. If, however, you are not planning on being a factory rider, the 150F just makes more sense. A new top end on a 150R will run you about $1,000 after it’s all done. That’s the parts, setting the valves, and someone to do it. Pro’s don’t pay for that. How many of you can pay that? Isn’t the CRF150R suppose to have a new top end every 25 or so hours, per the manual?

The 150F? I haven’t ridden in about 2 months. I put gas in it and TA-DA, I was up and running at full speed. I got home, cleaned it, and it’s ready to go any time I want. Didn’t cost me a dime. CRF150F? I just can’t think of anything that’s more fun.

I’ve been trying to find time to ride, but it’s been impossible. I forced myself to go out. Yeah, it’s that bad. I’m just really busy these days. Anyway, I went out and you know what? I guess I forgot how much fun it is to ride!!! I had a ball. I even found a bunch of new trails. While riding, it made me think of why the 150F is a better bike over the 150R.

If you are a full-on racer, the 150R is the way to go. If, however, you are not planning on being a factory rider, the 150F just makes more sense. A new top end on a 150R will run you about $1,000 after it’s all done. That’s the parts, setting the valves, and someone to do it. Pro’s don’t pay for that. How many of you can pay that? Isn’t the CRF150R suppose to have a new top end every 25 or so hours, per the manual?

The 150F? I haven’t ridden in about 2 months. I put gas in it and TA-DA, I was up and running at full speed. I got home, cleaned it, and it’s ready to go any time I want. Didn’t cost me a dime. CRF150F? I just can’t think of anything that’s more fun.

youll prob think this is crazy but ive , sold my bigger bikes because i never ride them anymore.......getting older, ive learned that certain types of riding suit me more these days......im more into single trail and slower more technical woods riding. things that require skill yet at a slower pace than most of the riding ive done for the pased 30+ years and .ive owned and ridden just about any kind of bike you can think of. im not into big air stuff anymore, i leave most of that for the kids. since my boys have gotten older [14] they had grown into pretty good riders.....i almost exclusively ride a tricked out 150f nowdays . when you have ridden for a while you learn that bike choice for application is pretty important and the bike was built for what i do now and i ride it 95% of the time......i really like the smaller bike with the extra power , improved susp, and ergo's for adult fit ... over the 230f for where i ride.i just feel im quicker on it. but both are great.and like you said......low maint . and dependable for the long 50+ mile trails i ride....makes it a good choice.....i would have never have owned an air cooled a 4t trail bike 4 years ago, but your never too old to learn...............jls