DIY Helmet Cam...

So I have a mini DV camera somewhere that I never use. And I have an old helmet that I let rats and bees live in... Thinking about drilling a hole through the top of the helmet and bolting on a camera mount. Seems like it would it be less shaky than mounting to the bars. Anyone ever done anything similar? Pics, suggestions and ridicule please...:thumbsup:

Never in a million years. Sounds like it would definitely compromise the safety of the helmet. Not something I would ever risk.. :thumbsup:

Never in a million years. Sounds like it would definitely compromise the safety of the helmet. Not something I would ever risk.. :moon:

Yah that is the least of my worries. :ride: The camera is worth more than my head. :moon: Not gonna do MX with it Steve, just some dual sport vids. Not wanting to discuss the safety side of it really. But with statements like that you will score some brownie points round here. You are so PC for age 18. You will go far! :thumbsup:

This is what I do with my cheap digital camera from time to time. Quality isn't the best but it works alright though I can only get 7 minutes at a time with the small card I have for it.

100_0893.jpg

Wow Linus that's a good idea. Do you have any videos posted from that setup?

Yah that is the least of my worries. :lol: The camera is worth more than my head. :moon: Not gonna do MX with it Steve, just some dual sport vids. Not wanting to discuss the safety side of it really. But with statements like that you will score some brownie points round here. You are so PC for age 18. You will go far! :thumbsup:

Hahaha.... :ride:

Thanks. Just don't want to see you post on here with a cracked helmet and severe concussion, talking about a bad idea you had last night in a dream and...oh wait, that was this morning during practice!*

* That's what a concussion can do to you! :ride::p:moon:

Good Luck!

Steve

This is what I do with my cheap digital camera from time to time. Quality isn't the best but it works alright though I can only get 7 minutes at a time with the small card I have for it.

100_0893.jpg

Linus, what's the megapixel rating of your camera, and is that on the highest resolution setting?

MXSteve, you have a point...with my luck, I'd land right on the top of my helmet and drive the mounting bolt through my skull! :thumbsup:

In all honesty industrial strength double stick tape will just about make any camera a perminant fixture on your helmet. Same thing for 3M Industrial velcro. If both surfaces are clean when they are applied and you give them 24 hours to "set up", either one will be strong enough to hold a small DV camera.

With a mx helmet it's just as easy, and much safer, to drill a hole in the visor... when mounted closer to the helmet portion it shouldn't over tax the visor mounting screws.

Linus, what's the megapixel rating of your camera, and is that on the highest resolution setting?

6.1 megapixels 2848 × 2144 resolution. It's a kodak easyshare c653 I bought from wal-mart acouple years ago for $100.

There's also the remote chance you could end up with the bolt through your skull !! :thumbsup:

6.1 megapixels 2848 × 2144 resolution. It's a kodak easyshare c653 I bought from wal-mart acouple years ago for $100.

Cool! I have the same camera as a secondary/backup. I'm gonna have to try that. I wonder how much video I can record on my 2GB card...:thumbsup:

Cool! I have the same camera as a secondary/backup. I'm gonna have to try that. I wonder how much video I can record on my 2GB card...:thumbsup:

Probably a half hour or so, I only get 7 minutes with my 512 MB card. If you turn it to video setting it should tell you how much it can do.

Probably a half hour or so, I only get 7 minutes with my 512 MB card. If you turn it to video setting it should tell you how much it can do.

Definitely gonna give it a spin, thanks for the info. :thumbsup: