16mm between your nuts?

On the MCCT that is!:thumbsup: I know every bike is a little different. The "nails in a can" sound quiets down right around this measurement between the two nuts on the TT MCCT. My bike has 700 miles on it, and I'm just trying to get a general consensus if this is close or not. I measured with a digital vernier caliper. Any input is appreciated. Bike is running awesome. Just don't want it too tight. c good

"Sounds" good.

Install a MCCT correctly by the recommended method on 10 bikes and you would get ten different measurements on how far the adjustment screw sticks out from the body. It just is not a valid measurement.

(note to self, be less cryptic.) Yes, go by the sound as the measurement means naught.

Install a MCCT correctly by the recommended method on 10 bikes and you would get ten different measurements on how far the adjustment screw sticks out from the body. It just is not a valid measurement.

Hi Bronco78:

I appreciate your input and I understand all the variables. I'm not looking for an exact measurement. I'm just having a hard time telling when the sound ends and when to lock it down. Just looking for a ballpark distance for a bike with similar mileage. I guess I need a little reassurance that it's not too tight. Loose is something I can tell by the sound. I'm thinking another 5 mm in (10mm apart) might be too tight and 25mm too loose. Just a ballpark is all I'm looking for. Anybody mind doing a little measuring so I can sleep tonight? Thanks all for any input. c good

P.S. I'm no mechanical newbie, I've been working on bikes forever, just they were all two strokes. Kinda hard to adjust a timing chain on those!:thumbsup:

If the sound just goes away, it is right.

Do not over analyze this. If you can tell when it is loose, then you can tell when it is not loose.

On my DRZ-S there is about 1/4 turn adjustment where the rattle-can sound goes away or comes back. It's not like an on-off switch, but it's pretty obvious where the sweet spot is. The nut gap on mine is 13mm, it's a stock engine with 6k miles.

The distance between the nuts isn't a good indicator of anything except how worn the the cam chain and guides are. You certainly can't use this measurement to set your MCCT by. As others have said, you are overthinking it. Slightly too loose or tight won't hurt anything.

The distance between the nuts isn't a good indicator of anything except how worn the the cam chain and guides are. You certainly can't use this measurement to set your MCCT by. As others have said, you are overthinking it. Slightly too loose or tight won't hurt anything.

Understood: Just looking for a general consensus. So far....so good. Thanks guys.

On my DRZ-S there is about 1/4 turn adjustment where the rattle-can sound goes away or comes back. It's not like an on-off switch, but it's pretty obvious where the sweet spot is. The nut gap on mine is 13mm, it's a stock engine with 6k miles.

Thanks GS2offroad: This is exactly the type of info I'm looking for. Makes sense too. Anyone else got some measurements? I think with enough feedback, statistically we can get a general range. Thanks for any add'l info. c good

14.99mm

4500 miles

Thumpertalk MCCT

:moon: :moon: :ride::thumbsup: